Universal Dining Plan | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Dining Plan

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 29, 2013
Hi, I was wondering if any of the insiders could provide a little more detailed information concerning the Universal Dining Plan. I do know that the free dining offer only applies for vacation stays at offsite resorts, and I know that only certain restaurants are included on the deal (per the website). But still the information provided is pretty vague. I specifically would like to know about the rumors of only certain food items being available for the free dining. It would be disheartening to plan a vacation and reserve your restaurant time and then go into the restaurant to find out you don't have access to the full menu selections. If possible, I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere that would tell you which selections are available at which restaurants for the free dining offer. When calling the help line it seems that the Universal associates are not in the know as well. I know its a new offer and maybe the information just hasn't trickled out yet. Thanks :smiley:

Wow.... looks like no testing was done with this plan. Sounds like it was an idea, they created some sort of program, and implemented it way too fast. We may get on Disney's case for NextGen, but at least they did some major testing before allowing it to "go-live". There should have been some employee testing done to work out training and programming issues before guests were involved. And when guests were involved, they should have been informed they were part of a test group, like Disney first did with NextGen. Poorly planned, poorly thought out, and poorly tested. This is a product of the high speed Uni is doing things and sometimes it might be good to slow down a little.

Definitely seems amateur hour and "vintage" Universal (where they were chasing and emulating Disney, but not quite getting there). Universal is at their best when they come up with original ideas, which is why the Meal Deal will continue to be popular and I think the Dining Plan won't.

Definitely seems amateur hour and "vintage" Universal (where they were chasing and emulating Disney, but not quite getting there). Universal is at their best when they come up with original ideas, which is why the Meal Deal will continue to be popular and I think the Dining Plan won't.

Yeah. And it really seems overpriced to me, especially for kids in that 10 to 13 age range (who are considered "adults" but who don't, at least in my case, eat as much as "adults".)

I've got 3 kids older than 9 but younger than 14 and I feel pretty confident that I can feed my family of five (Lunch, Dinner, drinks and "snacks") for less than the $230 (plus tip) per day I'd have to shell out for this Dining Plan.

That said, it might be worth it if I bought the Plan for just my wife and I. Maybe use the snack credits and a counter service or two for some light lunches and pay for the rest of the kids meals out of pocket. I don't think you are required to buy the Dining Plan for everyone in your party.

Universal, compared to Disney, is really affordable to eat at. You can get a Table Service meal for under 25. Most places at Disney start at 25 and run up much faster.

This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks so much for posting it!

No problem.

It would be great if someone from the Orlando United community could share their firsthand experience of this new Dining Plan. It would be interesting to compare a more recent experience with this Orlando Informer review in order to get a more complete picture and see if the "kinks" have been (or are being) worked out.

I just found out that the Real guest review #1 on Orlando Informer is actually a Disney cast member so I wouldn't put too much faith in his review. He should have just identified himself as such in the write-up rather than trying to conceal it.
Whether he decided to "review" Universal's Dining Plan on his own or was sent by the mouse, it must be concerning them enough to do this.

I just found out that the Real guest review #1 on Orlando Informer is actually a Disney cast member so I wouldn't put too much faith in his review. He should have just identified himself as such in the write-up rather than trying to conceal it.
Whether he decided to "review" Universal's Dining Plan on his own or was sent by the mouse, it must be concerning them enough to do this.

Wow! Are you freaking serious? Can you post the link that shows he was from Disney? If this is true, then......that's messed up.