Universal Executive Leadership Changes | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Executive Leadership Changes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
IDK - maybe someone from outside the box could offer a fresh perspective.
Seems like UC gets a ride type and keeps running with it until people get tired of it....ie coasters....then pure screens....now coasters again.....I'd like to see more diversification and a better mix.

We'll give it a few years until some of her decisions are actually reflected in the parks, but Universal isn't afraid of building "simple" areas in parks with little to no theming.

The Starbucks locations in the parks are not themed to their location, Today Cafe is pretty simple, and Endless Summer is a simple theme with a surfboard here and there.

I don't think there's a need to worry about the change.

Reactions: OrlLover
We'll give it a few years until some of her decisions are actually reflected in the parks, but Universal isn't afraid of building "simple" areas in parks with little to no theming.

The Starbucks locations in the parks are not themed to their location, Today Cafe is pretty simple, and Endless Summer is a simple theme with a surfboard here and there.

I don't think there's a need to worry about the change.
This is a weird pivot about her hire…

The fact that Universal Creative hires so many people from inside the company from Attractions rather than outsiders who have never set foot in a theme park (like Imagineering has done) assures me that people who know parks and attractions will have enough of a presence in UC even if their leader is an outsider. And there's more crossover with cruise ships and theme parks that she'll have a good idea coming in from the outside.

Official presser

Universal Destinations & Experiences today announced the appointment of Molly Murphy as President of Universal Creative effective August 14, 2023.

Reactions: Alicia and Nico
Also WDI has an architecture person leading there and now they do tract housing over rides.
Took the words out of my mouth.

The fact that Universal Creative hires so many people from inside the company from Attractions rather than outsiders who have never set foot in a theme park (like Imagineering has done) assures me that people who know parks and attractions will have enough of a presence in UC even if their leader is an outsider. And there's more crossover with cruise ships and theme parks that she'll have a good idea coming in from the outside.
I don’t have much knowledge of UC but my understanding is that it’s primarily based in Orlando - it’s probably easier for them to source people from attractions because there’s such a huge base of those types of people in Orlando. Meanwhile, while WDI does have a presence in Orlando, it’s primarily in Glendale… yeah Disneyland is out there but moving from working in Anaheim to working in Glendale is actually big deal and not just a slightly different commute for most.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
There is a balance to hiring from within vs outside. In my experience working in a few parks too much hiring from within meant the people who were not skilled enough to move on to other better work were unfairly rewarded for seniority. This lead to another problem where now those people promoted felt entitled from years of service instead of skill and had a hard time identifying new talent and were also hostile to better talent coming in with more experience from other places. This can lead to a toxic culture and a sort of death spiral on entertainment spending. Cough cough * Busch gardens* cough,

What did she do before Gensler? After looking through their project portfolio, I am a titch concerned. There is literally nothing there that even hints at anything close to "Themed Entertainment". And is chocked full of the minimalist contemporary design elements we all are a bit over and definitely don't want at our "Destination Theme Park Resort" (think Reflections@Fort Wilderness).

She co-founded the firm’s Digital Experience Design practice, which uses interactive and visualization technology and software to create immersive experiences.

I think this is why she got hired. It seems she good at applying tech to design strategies. She is the person who seems to know how to blend facial recognition scanners to her designs. Based on the division she lead here are some things that kinda fit theme parks...

I included the verizon one because it was a full strategy plan that included app integration, customer experience and more to create a full picture of what they are going for outside just concept design. If she lead that project while its very corporate, it looks like she has come capability to focus on the big picture of how to tie in operations into design.

If her main thing is facial recognition then it makes sense she’s in charge as the resort changes over to that over the next few years. That’s a very major deal so she seems like the right choice. I imagine she won’t get in the way of creative more than any other UC President.

There is a balance to hiring from within vs outside. In my experience working in a few parks too much hiring from within meant the people who were not skilled enough to move on to other better work were unfairly rewarded for seniority. This lead to another problem where now those people promoted felt entitled from years of service instead of skill and had a hard time identifying new talent and were also hostile to better talent coming in with more experience from other places. This can lead to a toxic culture and a sort of death spiral on entertainment spending. Cough cough * Busch gardens* cough,
The issue I have personally seen with WDI is their hires all start out as interns, often with no background in the parks, just whatever their degree is in. If they are pretty girls they end up with jobs in Imagineering. If they aren't pretty girls, unless they are REALLY good at what they do, they are replaced by another intern. They rarely hire anyone from within the company who has actually worked IN the parks.

I know three people personally who were in ride operations at Universal who were then hired into UC because they actually want people who understand what they do and not just how to insert hidden mickeys and little nods to past Imagineers. I still think Imagineering can do great work, but often they seem to miss the big picture because the people making the decisions and plans have no idea how things work in the real world of the parks.

I know there is a balance of fresh ideas from outside and experience from the veterans and I think UC is closer to that balance than Imagineering is at this point. The "great" Imagineers were people who worked in the parks and saw what happens and came up with ideas to make things better.

Reactions: SeventyOne