Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 203 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardest, and probably nearly impossible, guess is when Universal will make announcements. They're all over the place on those. Absolutely no guess on that from me.:lol:...Good to hear you read the Jay Bangs book. You now probably have a better understanding how Universal thinks & operates than the vast majority of theme park followers. Genneway's Universal book that preceeded the Jay Stein book, is also a great source of information & understanding. Additionally, if you study Comcast's corporate history (I've followed them since they were just a small regional cable operator), you will understand how opposite their corporate philosophy is from Disney's. They only know one speed, "full steam ahead", which really is a nice fit with the MCA/Universal philosophy of the Lew Wasserman era.

Haha, notice how I didn't guess either! Yeh JayBangs was a good read and some of the stories he has to tell are fascinating, things could have been so different! I wonder if these forum's would exist had a firm offer been put on the table from Disney... I'll add the Genneway book to my reading list. Thanks :cheers:

Back to topic though, having followed VB pretty closely and with drones/helicopter tours/pictures so readily available today, it will be amazing to watch the progress & speculation commence once things do ramp up.

Reactions: Mad Dog
This is the last significant piece of land Universal can buy for expansion. They have the chance to develop this in one go and design it to make maximum use of it. I expect they want 1 transportation center and parking structure, 2 theme parks, 1 CityWalk and at least 5 hotels. They don't need to design every electric socket in detail for the whole thing but make decisions if (for instance) they want hotels to block high ride at some locations and expand the theme of the land in the park that is closest.

I guess first phase will be the transportation center and parking, 2 hotels and 1 theme park and the first phase of the new CityWalk. I expect the park to have a hotel entrance (like DLP, fitting the theme of the entrance are) to save space. In 2019 the first phase will start and be done by 2022.

The theme of the first park will be Animation. It'll have mainly Dreamwork animation and Illumination ip's and some expansion for Harry Potter (Beedle the Bard adventures) and Nintendo.
Please build now.

Reactions: Andysol
This is the last significant piece of land Universal can buy for expansion. They have the chance to develop this in one go and design it to make maximum use of it. I expect they want 1 transportation center and parking structure, 2 theme parks, 1 CityWalk and at least 5 hotels. They don't need to design every electric socket in detail for the whole thing but make decisions if (for instance) they want hotels to block high ride at some locations and expand the theme of the land in the park that is closest.

I guess first phase will be the transportation center and parking, 2 hotels and 1 theme park and the first phase of the new CityWalk. I expect the park to have a hotel entrance (like DLP, fitting the theme of the entrance are) to save space. In 2019 the first phase will start and be done by 2022.

The theme of the first park will be Animation. It'll have mainly Dreamwork animation and Illumination ip's and some expansion for Harry Potter (Beedle the Bard adventures) and Nintendo.
Please build now.

I'm wary of a theme that limits them so much. I think they learned the lesson of Toon Lagoon. Even MK isn't limited to animation.

This is the last significant piece of land Universal can buy for expansion. They have the chance to develop this in one go and design it to make maximum use of it.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, who knows what's going to be available in another 20/30 years time, SeaWorld could be dead and buried by then, Comcast could sell their Theme Park division and Universal could end up with an owner unwilling to spend. Not saying either of those things will happen but I don't think we can say this is their only chance of expansion.

That said, my opinion is that I don't think they will expand beyond what they are going for now (with the exception of hotels). Disney soon realised when they had too many parks that it just cannibalized attendance from the others.

That said, my opinion is that I don't think they will expand beyond what they are going for now (with the exception of hotels). Disney soon realised when they had too many parks that it just cannibalized attendance from the others.
So what do you speculate they bought all that land for.

Also while multiple theme parks can cannabilize attendance somewhat I think that is countered by the concept it creates of a resort requiring a longer length of stay. Disney for example greatly discounts added days. So lets say you wanted to go to MK and Epcot one day each and then head over to Universal and spend one day at each park. You'll soon realize that adding in two more days at Disney for DHS and DAK are extremely cheap compared to Universal. For many families they'll look at the cost difference and come to the conclusion to just do a Disney only vacation. This in my opinion is what expansion is really all about, with at least three real theme parks it can tip the scales and begin to put Universal in the same league as Disney.

Should clarify, I meant beyond the 4th gate as we know that's happening. Beyond that, I can't see them doing anymore.
Ah ok, yeah going from a two park resort to a three park resort is a big deal, but I agree I'm not sure the fourth park adds too much.

Reactions: Jonea32

@Andy care to elaborate?

They've just got some pretty innovative stuff coming. Now whether or not "things" do happen is so far down the pipeline is not really relative. My tweet was more along the lines of if it did go the way it could go it will be something special. Just need those tourism dollars to keep coming in.

Ah ok, yeah going from a two park resort to a three park resort is a big deal, but I agree I'm not sure the fourth park adds too much.
Parks are there to fill hotels, restaurants and shops. When guests stay longer more money will come because they spent more.

Besides MK non of the other theme parks could stand on their own. Non of them would be successful and have the attendance they are having now. But they are there and bring in money.

Universal is doing a great job balancing 2 parks. Each one gets new rides and experiences, big and small, to keep them relevant. With the third park open there always will be places to update in the "old" parks. Universal also has it's festival park. Universal Studios owns Mardi Gras and Halloween (2 events that could keep the park alive as Halloween did for many years on it's own). But still they keep adding new rides.

I expect the 4th park will be smaller of scale but bigger on immersion. It will be something never done like the cirque du soleil park that is now build in Mexico.

They've just got some pretty innovative stuff coming. Now whether or not "things" do happen is so far down the pipeline is not really relative. My tweet was more along the lines of if it did go the way it could go it will be something special. Just need those tourism dollars to keep coming in.
Innovation is cool, but how about placemaking and theming? Are we still looking at a park that could rival Tokyo Disneysea?

Reactions: Mike S
New patent to improve the hogwart express window patent...could be part of the UOR expansion in regards to transportation to new park.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...patent-aims-at-new-immersive-windows-for.html

The thought in me now, that I am having; I am not going to be surprised if Doppelmayr helps once again with the transport (which, seems to also be the company for the upcoming WDW gondolas). And, with that; if the patents are updates of a similar system to what Hogwarts Express is using, I think we are not looking at Gondolas, but more of a rail system, similar to what is in current play at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Status
Not open for further replies.