What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort to Epic Universe Transportation News & Speculation

I found an interesting article today. It is regarding the proposed train from the airport. I know there have been many rumors of Comcast/OCCC and Disney heavily involved and battling over the trains route. If Comcast can get a stop to the new park/OCCC I believe it would be a game changer for Universal Orlando as a whole. How do you think this would affect Disney and Universal's attendance? Do you think this will happen? What are your thoughts?

I found an interesting article today. It is regarding the proposed train from the airport. I know there have been many rumors of Comcast/OCCC and Disney heavily involved and battling over the trains route. If Comcast can get a stop to the new park/OCCC I believe it would be a game changer for Universal Orlando as a whole. How do you think this would affect Disney and Universal's attendance? Do you think this will happen? What are your thoughts?

I know I saw some discussion (maybe not in this thread but another?) specifically about how much easier the pathway from the airport to Disney would be, compared to making a stop by OCCC. I think it had to do with the current infrastructure and rights to use the land connecting the destinations.

That being said, I'm all for it. If Universal and Orange County can put some financial power behind their negotiations with Virgin, I think it could possibly happen.

Overall about the project, this is much needed and much overdue for FL. There are so many benefits, including boosting tourism, keeping our roads less congested, and reducing carbon emissions. Glad to see they're finally moving forward.

Has anyone who has driven Sand Lake between Universal Blvd. and John Young lately noticed if they're starting to rip up the bridge work that should be nearly complete? The plans for the Kirkman extension show the configuration completely different than what was close to finished for the simple expansion/redo scheduled to finish next year. The ramps/bridges are completely different, as you can see in the link below, and I don't believe they were bringing the directional lanes together in the current work.

http://www.cflroads.com/asset/file/3955/2018-11-08_and_2018-12-18_Public_Meeting_Display_Board_pdf

This makes me wonder just how quickly this will get finished, with the pre-existing widening project being about 5 months from completion.
I like your concern on this topic but it looks like most of the current work fits within the future configuration concept plan, after being further expanded and modified. I work in the industry and, in general, agencies do not build ahead of current needs. The current Sand Lake project was needed whether or not Epic was built, but if Epic didn't come through, building the bus lanes and extra lanes to the south would have been a big waste. Roads are now often designed with future capacity options already built-in so that construction goes that much easier/quicker/cheaper for the expansion and it appears that is what is happening here.
Capture.JPG

I don't think it will affect attendance since it's from MCO to the parks. The vast majority of people will choose which parks to go to based on the rides than transport.

What it could do is increase spending if people don't feel the need to get a car and become trapped within the bubble.

I don't think it will affect attendance since it's from MCO to the parks. The vast majority of people will choose which parks to go to based on the rides than transport.

What it could do is increase spending if people don't feel the need to get a car and become trapped within the bubble.
I disagree that it won't impact tourism to central Florida for several reasons.

This train wouldn't just connect MCO to the parks... is connects Miami, to Palm Beach, to MCO, to the Parks, and eventually Tampa. This means residents of all of those locations will be more likely to visit each of those connecting cities... which means more Universal/Disney visitors.

And news of the train will spread to tourists worldwide. I've often heard of the excellent public transit over in Western Europe and Japan, just as an example, which makes my visitation to those locations more likely. Having good public transportation draws in tourists, due to the ease of getting around for relatively cheap (you can do/see more for less money). Thinking about them saving money on a taxi ride from MCO to the parks is small scale... The big picture here is that tourists right now have no easy way of getting from Central Florida to the beaches. Having a train going directly to Tampa/West Palm/Miami is a huge draw for the state. (It could also increase return visits for those who had a good experience with the train.)

It's really not even a question of whether it increases attendance (it will). The real question is by how much. It's not going to double attendance over night, but even a 1% attendance increase is pretty significant.

Does Orlando have areas with bus lanes? I feel like a dedicated bus route would be the best option until some sort of train option comes in place. Is it possible to have a buses only lane during certain hours on Universal Blvd? Would a bus this size work?
1583177606387.png

As part of the Kirkman Road plans that were approved it does show dedicated bus lanes. Those buses would be a likely possibility.

I'm hoping to get more info soon...

Does Orlando have areas with bus lanes? I feel like a dedicated bus route would be the best option until some sort of train option comes in place. Is it possible to have a buses only lane during certain hours on Universal Blvd? Would a bus this size work?
View attachment 11765
Sand Lake and some others have a "Bus Only" unless you are turning lanes

I mean wherever the station ends up, if its not right next to universals site, it be a good decision to make a cheap bus service or people mover transit system. "mickeys magical express" esk, since as well as the bubble of property, people will like good transport links especially as the bright line/virgin system expands. If a station is put in it would be close enough to fit a regular transport system bar heavy traffic (which bus lanes would part sort).

I disagree that it won't impact tourism to central Florida for several reasons.

This train wouldn't just connect MCO to the parks... is connects Miami, to Palm Beach, to MCO, to the Parks, and eventually Tampa. This means residents of all of those locations will be more likely to visit each of those connecting cities... which means more Universal/Disney visitors.

And news of the train will spread to tourists worldwide. I've often heard of the excellent public transit over in Western Europe and Japan, just as an example, which makes my visitation to those locations more likely. Having good public transportation draws in tourists, due to the ease of getting around for relatively cheap (you can do/see more for less money). Thinking about them saving money on a taxi ride from MCO to the parks is small scale... The big picture here is that tourists right now have no easy way of getting from Central Florida to the beaches. Having a train going directly to Tampa/West Palm/Miami is a huge draw for the state. (It could also increase return visits for those who had a good experience with the train.)

It's really not even a question of whether it increases attendance (it will). The real question is by how much. It's not going to double attendance over night, but even a 1% attendance increase is pretty significant.

Better transport makes it easier but bad transport is not a deterrent if you're already committed to visiting Orlando and the parks.

To turn your idea on the head, making it easier for people in Miami to visit the parks also means it's easier for people in Orlando to visit Miami and the beaches meaning less days in the parks.

Better transport makes it easier but bad transport is not a deterrent if you're already committed to visiting Orlando and the parks.
I never said it was, only that good transport increases tourism.

Though speaking about bad transport: if someone has a bad experience in Orlando, and it started with being stuck in traffic with an expensive Uber/Taxi, that will decrease their likelihood of coming back.
To turn your idea on the head, making it easier for people in Miami to visit the parks also means it's easier for people in Orlando to visit Miami and the beaches meaning less days in the parks.
This isn't zero sum. Increased means of transportation results in more travel. It may reduce Orlando resident visits to UOR/Disney, but overall it's a net positive for tourism for each city.

Last edited:
Anybody else feel like if they are going to do shuttles and choose NOT to do at least 1 knight bus that they are completely missing a golden opportunity? It would be even cooler if they did transportation themed for each land but i personally couldn't think of anything that works as good as knight bus since I'm not quite as big of a fangirl of the other worlds.

Anybody else feel like if they are going to do shuttles and choose NOT to do at least 1 knight bus that they are completely missing a golden opportunity? It would be even cooler if they did transportation themed for each land but i personally couldn't think of anything that works as good as knight bus since I'm not quite as big of a fangirl of the other worlds.
I don't think Jo would go for a Knight bus driving through Orlando

I think it’s speaks volumes we haven’t even seen a knight bus ride.

And that is why Disney never went trough with any proposed rail system over decades. They want all the money and don't want to share.

And that is why Disney never went trough with any proposed rail system over decades. They want all the money and don't want to share.

Some times, it just seems so bizarre. If they were offered an opportunity to make more money but it meant sharing it with others, they wouldn't take it.

Good time to revitalise this thread:

Gondolas.