Universal Plaza | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Plaza

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm happy as well. I think it'll be a spectacular fit and look gorgeous!

Kinda sad Universal hasn't released concept art. If this is indeed opening this year (which it looks like it will), I'm kinda shocked Universal hasn't said even one word about this project, especially to build hype that it'll get a new iconic structure for the park!

Reactions: Zacharygof
I'm happy as well. I think it'll be a spectacular fit and look gorgeous!

Kinda sad Universal hasn't released concept art. If this is indeed opening this year (which it looks like it will), I'm kinda shocked Universal hasn't said even one word about this project, especially to build hype that it'll get a new iconic structure for the park!
Maybe because it isn't gonna be a "blockbuster attraction". Plus, they probably don't wanna steal the hype for the minions' arrival. :p

Reactions: Alexshow.
But we won't be getting a new attraction until next spring. That's when they minions arrive, which will be a little less than a year. The announcement of Universal Plaza and the new icon would be a great story and advertisement in addition to the now nauseating Summer of Survival corporate crap. They'll obviously make a little announcement, I'm just curious why they won't make a bigger deal about it, only cuz we'll be getting a new icon. If it was just Universal Plaza, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't announce it at all, save for a facebook post. But with a new icon coming, I'd think they'd wanna glam it up. But that's me I guess :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The tower is very impressive from the entrance. I dont think UP is a temp as we thought anymore. With all this work happening I think we will see this here for years and years to come. Kinda like the CartoonsVille store(which is really going to look odd after plaza opens) its been around since the beginning(I believe) of the upper lot. We could be seeing some old structure totally redone to possibly give the park a more cohesive feel. Either way this new area is looking great. These next few months should be interesting seeing the final construction process from stucco to paint to greenery and more. excited much!

But we won't be getting a new attraction until next spring. That's when they minions arrive, which will be a little less than a year. The announcement of Universal Plaza and the new icon would be a great story and advertisement in addition to the now nauseating Summer of Survival corporate crap. They'll obviously make a little announcement, I'm just curious why they won't make a bigger deal about it, only cuz we'll be getting a new icon. If it was just Universal Plaza, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't announce it at all, save for a facebook post. But with a new icon coming, I'd think they'd wanna glam it up. But that's me I guess :p
most likely yes that it will mainly be a tiny facebook announcement and then will be featured a little on the website due to updating a map.
The tower is very impressive from the entrance. I dont think UP is a temp as we thought anymore. With all this work happening I think we will see this here for years and years to come. Kinda like the CartoonsVille store(which is really going to look odd after plaza opens) its been around since the beginning(I believe) of the upper lot. We could be seeing some old structure totally redone to possibly give the park a more cohesive feel. Either way this new area is looking great. These next few months should be interesting seeing the final construction process from stucco to paint to greenery and more. excited much!
I agree with you on the store in the Hollywood area as they're going to rename it. and isn't the name of the shop cartooniversal? if it is why not retheme it to look like a nice theme to match the area and have woody woodpecker and other universal animated character's for doll's, dvd's, and lanyard's based on them.

I was at the park for a few hours this morning and construction crews were going non stop as the morning progressed.  Same things with Despicable Me.  Plus a new structure was being built in the queue of Despicable Me.  Walking around the park and seeing all of this construction going on, was quite cool and surreal. After Years of nothing but bogus stuff, we are finally getting things that are worth while and classy!

I think construction is unbelievably exciting! Especially since all of this will be so high quality and detailed!

I personally wouldn't mind them updating the resort of the stores and entrance to be more cohesive with Universal Plaza. The USH entrance isn't even that old but it feels dated. It just looks bland (save for the fountain). I'm probably asking for too much though ;)

Any clue what might be going inside/bellow the new icon? I'm gonna guess it'll be one of the new restaurants. Ideally I'd love for Universal Experience to be bellow the new icon tower. That'd be super impressive. It would put Universal Experience in a prime location that EVERYONE will visit, and will be under the new park icon! Why am I not working for USH again? Lol

I think construction is unbelievably exciting! Especially since all of this will be so high quality and detailed!

I personally wouldn't mind them updating the resort of the stores and entrance to be more cohesive with Universal Plaza. The USH entrance isn't even that old but it feels dated. It just looks bland (save for the fountain). I'm probably asking for too much though ;)

Any clue what might be going inside/bellow the new icon? I'm gonna guess it'll be one of the new restaurants. Ideally I'd love for Universal Experience to be bellow the new icon tower. That'd be super impressive. It would put Universal Experience in a prime location that EVERYONE will visit, and will be under the new park icon! Why am I not working for USH again? Lol
yeah the funny thing is that i'm having that feeling that the Nbcuniversal experience would be easy to move to the front and I would like it but then what would happen to the old one....

Tear the original Universal Experience out, along with Panda Express, and use it as a small expansion for Jurassic Park or anything else. Or keep the original building and add a new/different museum in there with a different theme:

Bring back Lucy

Strictly a museum on Universal Monsters

A "blue sky cellar" of sorts/preview center for new USH attractions like what Disney does and Orlando did before IOA opened.

Anything really. Lots of possibilities. I personally think a larger Universal Experience deserves to be on the Upper Lot.

got a photo to share with the project. it seems a tower just popped up and it's kind of reminding me of the carthay circle theater at DCA. it seems we finally have some sort of focal point for our Entrance walkway

plus something not related to the plaza, it seems the jungle looking facade for animal actors has been taken down, however the show is still going, rather odd for them to continue a show during mid construction

Reactions: Jon Fu
got a photo to share with the project. it seems a tower just popped up and it's kind of reminding me of the carthay circle theater at DCA. it seems we finally have some sort of focal point for our Entrance walkway

plus something not related to the plaza, it seems the jungle looking facade for animal actors has been taken down, however the show is still going, rather odd for them to continue a show during mid construction
That's a good shot of the tower upclose thanks!

I have a picture, that I took today. but I'm having one heck of a time trying to post the picture. sorry! I posted it on twitter, maybe Jon can take it from there and post it.

As I said in another thread:

With us getting a towering new icon in front of Universal Plaza, is it safe to say that Universal Plaza will now be categorized as permanent and not "temporary permanent" as we thought before? I know space is limited, but I think a charming central area is vital to the park, especially with a new icon for USH!

So honestly, I'd rather have a nice central plaza with an icon than a half assed simulator or a too small of a dark ride.

With Universal Plaza being intricate and permanent, I'm still curious about where Grinchmas will go. Is the Globe Theatre the only possible place now?

Or since Universal Plaza is maybe getting a stage, do you think they can cover the new tower icon with the grinchmas tree?

As I said in another thread:

With us getting a towering new icon in front of Universal Plaza, is it safe to say that Universal Plaza will now be categorized as permanent and not "temporary permanent" as we thought before? I know space is limited, but I think a charming central area is vital to the park, especially with a new icon for USH!

So honestly, I'd rather have a nice central plaza with an icon than a half assed simulator or a too small of a dark ride.

With Universal Plaza being intricate and permanent, I'm still curious about where Grinchmas will go. Is the Globe Theatre the only possible place now?

Or since Universal Plaza is maybe getting a stage, do you think they can cover the new tower icon with the grinchmas tree?
I personally think animal actors could be the area and then in the water play area it's the snow play area for the holiday.

Yeah, I kinda said before that Animal Actors or Special Effects Stage could be a good area to host the Grinch show. I think SES would be the best considering it'll be right across from Universal Plaza.

Cover the facade of SES to make it look like Whoville and put the show inside for the Winter, make all of Universal Plaza's buildings look like whoville, add the snow area over the fountains like you said, and they can realistically cover the new tower with the grinchmas tree.