Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

Wha?

They’re going to be kicking themselves for making Transformers a separate ride here if that’s the case.

WTH would replace ours? Perhaps I’m misunderstanding.

I think you’re misunderstanding. “All the same” as in the contract applies to Japan the same way it does here in the US; in perpetuity.

I know Osaka isn't Tokyo but I do wonder if the Olympics get cancelled what that means for this park and for the opening of SNW, not the most important things in life at the moment but my theme park mind wonders there easily. Id have to think we're potentially looking at a delay for SNW due to public safety concerns. We shall see though, maybe I'm overthinking it.

On the bright side, the USJ app updated a day or two ago and it is very similar to the Universal Orlando app. And in English too. It’s a great change from their previous outdated app

I know Osaka isn't Tokyo but I do wonder if the Olympics get cancelled what that means for this park and for the opening of SNW, not the most important things in life at the moment but my theme park mind wonders there easily. Id have to think we're potentially looking at a delay for SNW due to public safety concerns. We shall see though, maybe I'm overthinking it.
In the end it will open and it will delight guests for decades.

Ya I don't see SNW opening this summer, hate to bring it up. If Im Universal may as well delay it for safety for guests, who knows when parks open, and take the time to make sure everything is working in tip-top shape. Only makes sense to me especially since the Olympics are cancelled and that was a major marketing thing. Might as well make it closer to Christmas now although I don't know about Japanese tourism in December but id imagine good numbers.

Ya I don't see SNW opening this summer, hate to bring it up. If Im Universal may as well delay it for safety for guests, who knows when parks open, and take the time to make sure everything is working in tip-top shape. Only makes sense to me especially since the Olympics are cancelled and that was a major marketing thing. Might as well make it closer to Christmas now although I don't know about Japanese tourism in December but id imagine good numbers.

Probably not. They have been continuing with construction in the Asian parks though so I guess we may see DK half built by the time this opens.

I'm definitely missing decent construction pics right now....

The delay of the Olympics definitely takes a lot of pressure off them, makes sense now that they take their time and make sure Mario kart is gonna be reliable from opening day.

As expected with the Japanese Government's state of emergency declaration, Universal Japan announced they will not open in April and will revisit the question in May.

Hypothetical question that just popped into my head: If USJ were to get a Potter expansion would it be more likely to get Hagrid's or Diagon?
I believe rumors have said Hagrids would go to USJ.

That's been the belief/rumour. But lets break that rumour down:
  • The rumoured location for Hagrid would be replacing Jaws - one of the most popular rides at USJ
  • USJ makes more $$$ out of merch than any other Universal park so why add an expansion that doesn't have a load more stores to buy merch in like Diagon has?
  • USJ already has 3 outdoor coasters - Hollywood Dream, Flight of the Hippogrith and Flying Dinosaur
  • The Japanese love London
I guess it's all dependent on whether they have plans for a future second park (which would be the natural location for Diagon) and also whether they could move Universal Wonderland to other areas of the park (Not remove alltogether as it's a merch goldmine) so that they could expand into that space - a much better location for expansion than Jaws IMO.

If Jaws does go at some point I can see them taking out Waterworld and that whole section of the park too for some kind of massive expansion.
USJ Expansion.jpg

So USJ opening again on June 19, previews from (I think the 5th?) until then. No mention of SNW but that is to be expected. I think best we can hope for is an early fall opening of SNW. Hope this all goes smoothly.

I am curious though, for people in the know/who are more aware of the business side of things: Is it better to open a brand new major expansion, like SNW, to limited crowds and have it still be relatively fully operating? Or, wait until crowds start to perk up then start running the land? Im genuinely curious as I can see both aspects. Don't open this mega new land and spend $$$ on marketing, for it to only be a 50% capacity crowd (assuming all tickets have been sold as well), or, just let it sit there and fine tune things until larger crowds are allowed. I have no idea which route is the best for cost cutting purposes.

So USJ opening again on June 19, previews from (I think the 5th?) until then. No mention of SNW but that is to be expected. I think best we can hope for is an early fall opening of SNW. Hope this all goes smoothly.

I am curious though, for people in the know/who are more aware of the business side of things: Is it better to open a brand new major expansion, like SNW, to limited crowds and have it still be relatively fully operating? Or, wait until crowds start to perk up then start running the land? Im genuinely curious as I can see both aspects. Don't open this mega new land and spend $$$ on marketing, for it to only be a 50% capacity crowd (assuming all tickets have been sold as well), or, just let it sit there and fine tune things until larger crowds are allowed. I have no idea which route is the best for cost cutting purposes.
They're not going to let a completed land sit there