Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 118 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm guessing the hub will be open only after the park closes. I don't think it'll necessarily be at 6pm. For example, the lands close at 7pm while the hub stays open till 11pm. Kinda similar to when Epcot had different hours for Future World and World Showcase (except this would be free entry with no rides).

I'd like to see them try it out. It's an interesting experiment that will probably last a few years at most anyways.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I'd like to see them try it out. It's an interesting experiment that will probably last a few years at most anyways.
I'm inclined to think this will be permanent, considering the lack of food and entertainment options in the immediate area.

The best example is probably the busts on Haunted Mansion, where film is projected onto a 3-dimensional figure. But instead of locked busts, this would be a realistic moving/walking animatronic figure.
I’m not opposed to this if there is still a full detailed animatronic underneath the projected effects. I think the idea should be that even if projections are turned off or fail the figure should still look complete and impressive.

TL;DR no projected faces please

Reactions: belloq87
I’m not opposed to this if there is still a full detailed animatronic underneath the projected effects. I think the idea should be that even if projections are turned off or fail the figure should still look complete and impressive.

TL;DR no projected faces please
Isn't that the way they did Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway? (projected faces I mean)

Isn't that the way they did Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway? (projected faces I mean)
I guess technically, but any animatronics in that ride are very basic. That’s also a 2d art style so they can get away with projected faces, I don’t think it would work well on a more realistic figure hence why I think Universal’s patent would work best if it was projected elements on top of a fully detailed figure.

Are there any animatronics now using a projected face that are based on a “live-action” character? I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

It better not look like that.
To be fair, that technology is 6 years old. And they are mapping an image over a live actors face. I imagine the effect would be not as "uncoordinated" if the image was projected on a non-moving object.

Also, cell phone apps have been using this sort of tech to put cartoon dog ears and noses on selfies

I guess technically, but any animatronics in that ride are very basic. That’s also a 2d art style so they can get away with projected faces, I don’t think it would work well on a more realistic figure hence why I think Universal’s patent would work best if it was projected elements on top of a fully detailed figure.

Are there any animatronics now using a projected face that are based on a “live-action” character? I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Pretty sure the undead chained pirate in the Dead Man's Cove section of Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island (what a mouthful) meets these requirements, as do the pirates locked in the stocks on Shanghai's Pirates ride. The pirate in Tom Sawyer's Island is not specifically seen in the films, but he's "live action" nonetheless. The effect is fine but too bright for the dark space, looks a little dated these days. I believe it was better received in its initial debut.

I’m not against the projection, it’ll ultimately make the AA figure more realistic I think. Very excited to see what they look like.

Hopefully the fact that they're confident enough to keep the hub open after 6 means they believe the hub is enough of a draw for people to come make a visit.

I'm not a native of the area so I'm not sure who Universal is expecting the after-hours patrons to be, besides people who are already at the park or at the hotels. Would it be convention-goers and people coming from other I-Drive areas? If so, what would transport look like from those areas to Epic? And is this enough of a draw beyond the opening timeframe that people at Universal North would feel compelled to trek to Universal South just to eat or partake of the entertainment, or does their patronage not really matter since the capacity of the after-park offerings are sized only for a smaller audience of park and hotel guests?
As someone going on 2.5 decades here, nighttime entertainment complexes have a long history in Orlando. Church St Station at its mid-80s height was the #2 destination in Florida. Pleasure Island had a decade-plus run where it printed money. And even today, while it fluctuates, on a solid weekend Icon Park easily fills 6 of the 7 floors in its garage. Guests are a mix of tourists, convention-goers, tourist area locals (remember, 50k CMs), and residents from the greater Orlando area who think downtown is "unsafe" or best-suited to under-25 power-drinkers. The "single moms' night out" crowd as PI CMs used to refer to it.

I'm sure Universal is looking at Icon as well as the promised refurb of Pointe Orlando--as well as the packed restaurants nearby on Sand Lake Road--and trying to figure out a way to get in on the action. Whether this plan specifically will work, I have serious doubts, but that's the crowd they hope to attract.

I'm guessing the hub will be open only after the park closes. I don't think it'll necessarily be at 6pm. For example, the lands close at 7pm while the hub stays open till 11pm. Kinda similar to when Epcot had different hours for Future World and World Showcase (except this would be free entry with no rides).

This was essentially the plan for World Showcase under the blue sky reimagining of EPCOT known as "Project Gemini." A free park intended to get people into bars and restaurants. Everything old is new again. If EU does succeed (again, I'm with you that's unlikely), watch Disney build a nightclub complex to challenge it.

For guests inside the park who already paid for the day? That still happens. I've never heard of Disney opening up Main Street for free.
It was years ago, and guests were admitted after park hours for free, but only the shops on Main Street were open. Lasted only a couple of years