Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 175 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal has to be careful not to pi_ _off AP's. I'd guess they rely on AP's way more than WDW does. They'll probably try to accommodate AP's best they can, especially after learning a lesson the hard way with the Hogsmeade Hollywood opening. Make it difficult for AP's, they might win the battle (opening months), but lose the war.

Last edited:
I'd really be surprised if they offered APs access the first week/month/couple months. There's going to be plenty of demand. Giving AP's access to discounted tickets or earlier access to buy them I could see. I could even see them selling AP's but having them blacked out till the initial rush is over. People who are going to buy APs aren't going to not buy them because they can't use them the first month. They'll either wait or they'll buy tickets.
It isn't people who won't buy APs, it is current people with APs that are only keeping them on a month to month basis past expiration to go to Epic. If they can't go to Epic they will cancel them. I know several people who got passes (myself included) that plan to go month to month after our expiration date just so we can experience Epic.

It will be interesting to see how Universal handles the AP issue. I can understand a reluctance to allow passholders unlimited access over the first few months that the park is open, especially if they manage to get the park open for Summer. However, I’m sure they don’t want to alienate a significant segment of their core audience, which poses something of a problem.

Personally, I’d be suggesting an extended period of AP exclusive previews / soft openings prior to the Grand Opening, with a reservation system in place to manage capacity. This would allow Universal to stress test the operations of the new park with a sympathetic audience, whilst simultaneously rewarding their most loyal repeat customers with first access.

If they were to reward APs with this sort of exclusive extended first look, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to then mostly block them out for the first few months after the grand opening, especially if they coincide with the peak summer months of June / July / August. Maybe offer them a limited number of single day entry tickets for this period, or a discount on purchased tickets.

Then, once the summer crowds start to die down in September, start allowing increased access - perhaps weekdays only at first - before eventually shifting to a model that somewhat mirrors the blockout dates of USF / IOA around peak times.

I really can’t wait to find out how they decide to manage ticketing in general. We have a very exciting year ahead.

Universal can easily introduce a NEW annual pass for all four parks. That means the people who currently have APs either can’t use it on Epic or pay to upgrade to the “4-park.”
That or a dry park only pass is what I always expected. Offer a limited amount if you are that worried, like MagicKeys availablity(put the gun down, not the reservation system), or do phased closings where the park closes to APs first, then day guests, then to everyone. The phased closing system was used by disney for decades.

I can't imagine universal would force 4 park APs given limited capacity at Volcano bay to support 3 dry parks.

I am ok with blackout dates as long as universal gives me the ability to have 3 parks on some sort of pass. If they make by buy day tickets to epic universe, I will just cancel my 2 park pass and either do a day trip along with a Disney or sea world day or just not come until they let me buy a 3 park pass.

Reactions: IzzyB and Mad Dog
I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that universal keeps the same overall pricing structure adding the new park, which I think is much more fair on the balance of locals vs non locals than what Disney does. I appreciate that universal doesn't offer express on newer popular rides until demand drops off and that the keep express a premium enough cost that it doesn't crush the regular lines as genie plus is designed to do. Universal has also never had the access abuse like Disney has with their system (that Disney still refuses to implement). Disney pricing is cheaper to get a season pass as a local than they charge people for a 4 day hopper that doesn't include free parking.

A fair ticketing balance between locals and loyal passholders as well as new guests is going to be important for the initial success of the park

A fair ticketing balance between locals and loyal passholders as well as new guests is going to be important for the initial success of the park
If the park can sell out every day without passholders, then passholders won't mean diddly squat regarding the success of the park.

My expectation is no annual passes for a while (at least until they better understand crowds and crowd flow).

Passholders will probably get to do previews before the park's grand opening, then have discounted tickets available after it opens, then (months down the road) maybe add on passes are offered with blackout dates or times or lands to help regulate crowds.

I've heard they really don't want to do a reservation system, and will ONLY sell date based tickets to start with.

Epic will probably start out strong, even if they abuse the AP's...BUT, Studios and IOA will probably see a significant drop in attendance if they abuse AP's. And once someone leaves as an AP, good luck on getting them back. Universal still doesn't have the 'branding power' that WDW has, and they rely on Floridians for much of their attendance, which is really evident on almost always very crowded Studios and IOA on weekends. Universal will be playing Russian Roulette if they don't try to accommodate AP's after the first couple opening months. If they offer AP's discounted passes, as @GAcoaster has suggested, that will soften the blow initially. But that kind of goodwill will only work for a short time. Meantime, Studios and IOA really have no significant new offerings to entice local guests or tourists. Return of a night show and parade help, but a few years old Velocicoaster is really the last D/E ticket sitting out there in those two parks.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood the interest in granular level details like this.

It’s just never been my thing to analyze how they are going to price or decide this pass or that.

More power to those who are able to decipher the various methods Universal uses to function as a business.
It’s fun to speculate! For fans it’s like solving a business case with no real stakes. I used to love business cases until they decided how much money I would or wouldn’t make lol

Yes...I regretfully decided to give up my annual out of state pass last month that I've held for several years as there is really nothing new over the next 12 months to entice me. We booked our stay for Sept 2025 alreafy and plan on single or 2 day tickets just to Epic. Hopefully they won't force us to by a 2 or 3 park combo. If I get the Universal itch, I'll do a park buy out night which worked quite well for our needs earlier this year.
Meantime, Studios and IOA really have no significant new offerings to entice local guests or tourists. Return of a night show and parade help, but a few years old Velocicoaster is really the last D/E ticket sitting out there in those two parks.

This just seems so unlikely. Has it ever happened before?
Yes, I agree with you. Looking at the other new Disney and Universal parks opening two years (discounting the covid year(s)) attendance, plus all the new ones in the Middle East, they don't really do any better than the existing top parks for their respective companies. Just the first couple months are bonkers.

Reactions: IzzyB
It will be interesting to see how Universal handles the AP issue. I can understand a reluctance to allow passholders unlimited access over the first few months that the park is open, especially if they manage to get the park open for Summer. However, I’m sure they don’t want to alienate a significant segment of their core audience, which poses something of a problem.

Personally, I’d be suggesting an extended period of AP exclusive previews / soft openings prior to the Grand Opening, with a reservation system in place to manage capacity. This would allow Universal to stress test the operations of the new park with a sympathetic audience, whilst simultaneously rewarding their most loyal repeat customers with first access.

If they were to reward APs with this sort of exclusive extended first look, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to then mostly block them out for the first few months after the grand opening, especially if they coincide with the peak summer months of June / July / August. Maybe offer them a limited number of single day entry tickets for this period, or a discount on purchased tickets.

Then, once the summer crowds start to die down in September, start allowing increased access - perhaps weekdays only at first - before eventually shifting to a model that somewhat mirrors the blockout dates of USF / IOA around peak times.

I really can’t wait to find out how they decide to manage ticketing in general. We have a very exciting year ahead.
I do agree, if they are going to block APs out they need to offer generous access to Epic during softs. And they could tier it in to control crowds. So first park open is always people who worked on the park and their friends and family. Then you have Universal employees they should get some days. Then start with Premier and slowly add in the other levels. This will allow them to get their operations on track for larger and larger crowds as they phase more and more people in.

Universal can easily introduce a NEW annual pass for all four parks. That means the people who currently have APs either can’t use it on Epic or pay to upgrade to the “4-park.”
I have zero issues them adding a new pass with 3 or 4 parks. I don't think forcing VB is a good idea, but I fully expect to have to upgrade my pass to include Epic.

I can't imagine universal would force 4 park APs given limited capacity at Volcano bay to support 3 dry parks.

I am ok with blackout dates as long as universal gives me the ability to have 3 parks on some sort of pass. If they make by buy day tickets to epic universe, I will just cancel my 2 park pass and either do a day trip along with a Disney or sea world day or just not come until they let me buy a 3 park pass.
Agreed we would cancel if we don't get some kind of access to Universal, I would even be OK with the first year having black out days on the Premier pass just for Epic.

Epic will probably start out strong, even if they abuse the AP's...BUT, Studios and IOA will probably see a significant drop in attendance if they abuse AP's. And once someone leaves as an AP, good luck on getting them back. Universal still doesn't have the 'branding power' that WDW has, and they rely on Floridians for much of their attendance, which is really evident on almost always very crowded Studios and IOA on weekends. Universal will be playing Russian Roulette if they don't try to accommodate AP's after the first couple opening months. If they offer AP's discounted passes, as @GAcoaster has suggested, that will soften the blow initially. But that kind of goodwill will only work for a short time. Meantime, Studios and IOA really have no significant new offerings to entice local guests or tourists. Return of a night show and parade help, but a few years old Velocicoaster is really the last D/E ticket sitting out there in those two parks.
100% this. If we do cancel, we won't be coming back for a long time. We will move on to Disney and rotate back around. I know many families who would do the same. So if more people are like me and my friends then it is really going to hurt the other two parks. I think most APs would be fine with Softs and then black out the summer then go back to normal. Anything less than that and I feel APs will be angry enough to drop their AP. Also, I think most would expect to pay to upgrade to include Epic.

And to add the people I am friends with are all people who drop a pretty penny every time we go. Families with kids that like to go out to eat a lot so it isn't a big deal to eat there. But we also spend a decent amount on kids activities and don't have time to go to more than one park at a time. Hence why we rotate thru. I get there are many AP holders that don't spend much money at the park. But the ones that do I bet you are fairly busy people and just don't have time to pack or plan around not eating at the park and the same ones who don't have multiple annual passes for the same reason.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I do agree, if they are going to block APs out they need to offer generous access to Epic during softs. And they could tier it in to control crowds. So first park open is always people who worked on the park and their friends and family. Then you have Universal employees they should get some days. Then start with Premier and slowly add in the other levels. This will allow them to get their operations on track for larger and larger crowds as they phase more and more people in.

I have zero issues them adding a new pass with 3 or 4 parks. I don't think forcing VB is a good idea, but I fully expect to have to upgrade my pass to include Epic.

Agreed we would cancel if we don't get some kind of access to Universal, I would even be OK with the first year having black out days on the Premier pass just for Epic.

100% this. If we do cancel, we won't be coming back for a long time. We will move on to Disney and rotate back around. I know many families who would do the same. So if more people are like me and my friends then it is really going to hurt the other two parks. I think most APs would be fine with Softs and then black out the summer then go back to normal. Anything less than that and I feel APs will be angry enough to drop their AP. Also, I think most would expect to pay to upgrade to include Epic.

And to add the people I am friends with are all people who drop a pretty penny every time we go. Families with kids that like to go out to eat a lot so it isn't a big deal to eat there. But we also spend a decent amount on kids activities and don't have time to go to more than one park at a time. Hence why we rotate thru. I get there are many AP holders that don't spend much money at the park. But the ones that do I bet you are fairly busy people and just don't have time to pack or plan around not eating at the park and the same ones who don't have multiple annual passes for the same reason.
Plus, AP's aren't only locals, there's those like us that are tourists who stay on site and spend tons of money.

Plus, AP's aren't only locals, there's those like us that are tourists who stay on site and spend tons of money.
Agreed. We by Season Passes to Dollywood and do not live there. We will be staying at an on site hotel this next trip to Dollywood not to mention all the food and merch we get there. I imagine they have many out of town APers at Universal. I think they can be smart about this and control crowds without reservations, get practice before the masses appear, and not anger AP holders. The question is do they do that.

Reactions: Mad Dog