Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 185 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the one they had left at Jurassic for the longest of time (even putting a fence around it) before getting rid of it? If not, what ever happened that the one they had at Jurassic that they were protecting?

I could see that for sure, good thinking

Also, screen clarity makes me think elements of that could be used in MK
Has to since it’s all on one story haha. These screens also could work well for any incorporation in any future ride. If this is what we should expect then that’s very exciting.

I could see that for sure, good thinking

Also, screen clarity makes me think elements of that could be used in MK

Mario Kart is the same as Na'Vi River Journey's concept but better, bigger and more thrilling. Using screens to expand the background, with sets disguising them and not being able to tell what is real. It's how screens should be used moving forward.

*edited for clarity*

The single most important thing is supporting those affected by layoffs in the Orlando area. Please consider donating to food banks and helping people apply for unemployment.

I have talked to several people to get a temperature of where Universal P&R and Universal Creative are right now. I do not know all the information, I can be wrong, and this is what I've formed by doing some "vibe checks" with others. This is also a temperature taken this week and attempts to show what thigns look like now, not last week, not next week.

Universal Orlando, and Hollywood, were hit hard with layoffs. Many talented, passionate, and good people were laid off. It's a very very very rough week for the themed entertainment industry. The first signs of trouble came last week when Thinkwell, a leading themed design company behind attractions such as WB World Abu Dabi, laid off a sizeable chunk of their staff. Thinkwell, which I postulated for 18 months, is a major vendor for Epic Universe, most likely Potter (I should have read the room with those layoffs). Universal begun their layoffs Monday and concluded on Wednesday, with every aspect of the company affected. Those remaining at UC are executing existing projects that are funded (Beijing, Nintendo, EU grading, Velocicoaster, etc) or helping to maintain projects on the back burner (EU).

These were done for two reasons: to adjust for lower attendance and offset low-income generation. You don't need a full sales staff or PR if guests aren't showing up and buying things. Universal also sees that for the immediate short term attendance levels will not be back to "normal" (roughly 20 million guests a year) for over a year, at least. New projects appear to be on hold. Due to low guest attendance and guest spending labor needs to be cut, hence layoffs.

Epic Universe is not canceled. The project is effectively on ice but still has people assigned to it. I have talked to several people who feel confident the project is still a go but obviously the timing is 2024 or later now. It might change, especially if SNW is moved to USF, but it's still a go. (Remember that USF was delayed a year or two itself)

Building a theme park is not a five, ten, or even twenty-year capital project, it's a project that redefines a company and goes through years of proposals, approvals, and justifications. The pandemic has caused a lot of turmoil in the industry but looking 10 to 15 years out, the same distance between IOA opening and Potter, hasn't really changed. Comcast still sees these parks as a valued revenue stream and investment and the Orlando market as ripe for another park. Just as this is a long term project and expansion a year or two delays will not impact those justifications.

Let me put it this way: you want to buy a house, a huge investment. You've set aside money, you are pricing out utilities and insurance, you are doing research, and are ready to pull the trigger. Then you get laid off for 6 months. Will you no longer buy a house? No, you just will have to delay it. That's where we are now, and of course, that could change.

Last edited by a moderator:
The single most important thing is supporting those affected by layoffs in the Orlando area. Please consider donating to food banks and helping people apply for unemployment.

I have talked to several people to get a temperature of where Universal P&R and Universal Creative are right now. I do not know all the information, I can be wrong, and this is what I've formed by doing some "vibe checks" with others. This is also a temperature taken this week and attempts to show what thigns look like now, not last week, not next week.

Universal Orlando, and Hollywood, were hit hard with layoffs. Many talented, passionate, and good people were laid off. It's a very very very rough week for the themed entertainment industry. The first signs of trouble came last week when Thinkwell, a leading themed design company behind attractions such as WB World Abu Dabi, laid off a sizeable chunk of their staff. Universal begun their layoffs Monday and concluded on Wednesday, with every aspect of the company affected. Thinkwell, I believe for roughly a year and a half, is a major vendor for Epic Universe, most likely Potter (I should have read the room with those layoffs). Those remaining at UC are executing existing projects that are funded (Beijing, Nintendo, EU grading, Velocicoaster, etc) or helping to maintain projects on the back burner (EU).

These were done for two reasons: to adjust for lower attendance and offset low-income generation. You don't need a full sales staff or PR if guests aren't showing up and buying things. Universal also sees that for the immediate short term attendance levels will not be back to "normal" (roughly 20 million guests a year) for over a year, at least. New projects appear to be on hold. Due to low guest attendance and guest spending labor needs to be cut, hence layoffs.

Epic Universe is not canceled. The project is effectively on ice but still has people assigned to it. I have talked to several people who feel confident the project is still a go but obviously the timing is 2024 or later now. It might change, especially if SNW is moved to USF, but it's still a go. (Remember that USF was delayed a year or two itself)

Building a theme park is not a five, ten, or even twenty-year capital project, it's a project that redefines a company and goes through years of proposals, approvals, and justifications. The pandemic has caused a lot of turmoil in the industry but looking 10 to 15 years out, the same distance between IOA opening and Potter, hasn't really changed. Comcast still sees these parks as a valued revenue stream and investment and the Orlando market as ripe for another park. Just as this is a long term project and expansion a year or two delays will not impact those justifications.

Let me put it this way: you want to buy a house, a huge investment. You've set aside money, you are pricing out utilities and insurance, you are doing research, and are ready to pull the trigger. Then you get laid off for 6 months. Will you no longer buy a house? No, you just will have to delay it. That's where we are now, and of course, that could change.
:thumbsup: Your analogy at the end says it all, bottom line.

Mario Kart is the same as Na'Vi River Journey's concept but better, bigger and more thrilling. Using screens to expand the background, with sets disguising them and not being able to tell what is real. It's how screens should be used moving forward.

Just a question.. do you have any info on what exactly the new Mario kart ride is going to be? I'd love to read up on the details!!

I was under the impression that Mario Kart is not going to be screen-heavy at all.

Hopefully it won't. But they did boast that it'll use new technology with it, so that's reassuring. Sounds like they know to not make Mario Kart like Spiderman or Transformers.
With maybe a little of Toy Story from Disney, that was a fun ride with game mechanics mixed in.

Obviously it have live sets mixed in so you feel right in the action.

Reactions: belloq87
Status
Not open for further replies.