Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only lands that have iffy franchise reasoning behind them are Dragons and Potter. Potter because of the iffy French setting (and now apparently a questionable VR ride) and Dragons, though the concept of "dragons" in general probably save that.

Monsters will feel iconic thanks to a setting we don't really have any of in Orlando and a scarier concept

I feel like that is one of the problems, that the monsters won't be dumbed down, but accurate depictions of there originals takes. Remember, Count Chocula and Hotel Transylvania aren't scary, only watered down versions of what we supposedly are getting in EU. People will either know what they are getting themselves into, or they will know maybe that's something they won't be interested in. Or not really have a good idea, which may get the GP confused as what kind of Universal Monsters they are dealing with here.

Let me rephrase my spiel about relevancy, their original depictions are no longer relevant.

You use Jaws and Kong as examples but those characters are similar to their tone and personality of when they were first introduced in their current depictions, Monsters? Not really. They are used in marking for a cereal company, and are animated in the HT films.
These representations are nowhere NEAR what they used to be, you don't see Jaws and Kong in marketing that are mainly geared just toward children, there new action films sure are there, which I am not saying some kids don't enjoy, but some don't at the same time, it's a really split preference.

The Monsters depicted in the Classic's are somewhat violent and morbid, and the fact that has not been represented recently is what is shadowing what those characters are really about, not Hotels or cereal, but are disturbing and suppose to be morbid and dark. Not the brightly colored depictions of them on cereal boxes.

You can argue that there are rides like Kong, The Haunted Mansion, and Tower of Terror, and while those are the type of rides I expect to be in the Monsters realm, those rides don't have a whole land based around to them with at least two rides or more dedicated to them. It is a lot to consider, and more spooky type content some are use to be getting.

This is the reason why HHN is advertised as HORROR based, and is a separately ticketed event, in order to not expose people that may not be into that sort of thing, which sadly is the majority of people.

Also, I don't expect Monsters to be like HHN, I never said it would be either. Just that they deserved more representation than what they get at Horror nights.

Now that I think about it, how much do we REALLY know about the Monsters section of EU? Are we almost certain that they will be of their original designs? Or something different? I assume that it's the original designs as that is what Universal has the rights to use.

Everyone is allowed to have there own opinions, don't be bitter because you don't like mine, did people go a little wild? Yes, but don't give the side eye because I like to watch the world burn and appreciate some good debate, xD.

Anyway ill refrain until we have a greater reason for discussion as I agree things got a tad crazy.
I apologize.
Okay, sure :shrug:.

Monsters are irrelevant but timeless.

Everybody knows who the characters are and that’s enough to get straight to the plot without having to give plenty of back story.

Irrelevance doesn’t equate to a bad attraction. Bourne and Waterworld say hi.
I never said they were going to be bad attractions because they are irrelevant.
I said those attractions need to be great in order for them to maybe gain relevancy.

Timeless sure, but how many kids do you know have seen their original films?
That number does not compare to the kids and teens who have seen at least one Harry Potter film, or played or watched a Mario game?

Everyone know who Dracula is, but is he scary? or is he voiced by Adam Sandler?

The Monsters are basically in an identity crisis because of there more recent representation in the past 20 years, and it can greatly affect there performance at Epic.

This is why I am concerned.

How many kids watched Snow White before the opening of SDMT? My guess is not many (kids tend not to watch old movies). Yet SDMT has been the longest line in the park since it opened.
How can you compare Snow White to Classic Monsters?
Both franchise are severely different.

Not to mention Snow White is made by Disney which gives them the upper hand to insert her anywhere, and kids know Snow White because she is a Disney princess and is marketed toward kids for kids.

Classic Monsters are not.

Also, Snow White has not any huge design changes since her original appearance, her overall design and personality are the same as she was first represented in the original film. There are other Snow whites, but when most people think of Snow White, they think of Disney. When people think Dracula, people of recent may think the cereal or Hotel Transylvania.

The Pokemon storm was actually really fun to read through as both sides had some good points. But @Legacy probably sums it up the most when he stated that most guest's want to just watch shows, eat food, and enjoy some attractions, and this statement right here is something I really thought hard about, and realized that "Yeah, that's accurate."
Nothing moves the needle like rides. All of the other stuff - food, immersive theming, stores - mean next to nothing come post-visit survey time.

I think after we find out some of the statistics of SNW's interactivity we can really get a good idea where we are gonna stand and the future of small or eventually big interactive theming.
In-park digital interactivity is like a school cafeteria - it has to be able to feed the masses in a narrow window of time and it will never be able to compete on quality with for-profit enterprises. And phones didn’t help advance it in any meaningful way because it’s now competing against the 99.9% other things I can do on my phone.

People have been “interacting” with theme parks since the beginning: the roller coaster drops and you scream, you walk in the summer sun and break a sweat, you go into a gift shop to buy a tangible momento to take home. It would be egregious to *not* have something in Nintendo because it’s Nintendo, but when you sit down and analyze what in-park digital add-ons actually contribute, it’s fractional at best.

Further proving that it's not about IP, it's about a ride being fun.
I wish I could hit the like button more than once.

PAGING BOB CHAPEK

How can you compare Snow White to Classic Monsters?
Both franchise are severely different.

Not to mention Snow White is made by Disney which gives them the upper hand to insert her anywhere, and kids know Snow White because she is a Disney princess and is marketed toward kids for kids.

Classic Monsters are not.

Also, Snow White has not any huge design changes since her original appearance, her overall design and personality are the same as she was first represented in the original film. There are other Snow whites, but when most people think of Snow White, they think of Disney. When people think Dracula, people of recent may think the cereal or Hotel Transylvania.
I think you're stretching a lot here.

But Monsters Land also isn't meant for "kids". So I think your reasoning is off.

I think you're stretching a lot here.

But Monsters Land also isn't meant for "kids". So I think your reasoning is off.
Then it's for Adults and a small percent of teens that are aware of the Monsters?
Last time I checked the general audience for Theme parks were people of ages 4-17, which makes it the underdog by far.

Do an experiment, ask people what speculated IP makes them most excited about EU, have them rate them by 5 stars measured by their intrest.
Most will say Nintendo or Potter because that is what they know of.
Monsters will most likely rate the lowest.

My point here is that Creative will have to make people fall in love with the Monsters again in order for them to gain any ground, the attractions have to be great or at least above average for people to flock to them, the odds are against them for sure.

Further proving that it's not about IP, it's about a ride being fun.
If you don’t already love these two from the films, won’t be hard to translate for a theme park where Mario is so people will be at the park anyways, to me HTTYD is arguably the LEAST questionable IP of choice imo.

1610636803782.gif

The case for Monsters (proper noun, Universal movie franchise) is that there is a general timelessness to monsters (not proper noun, non-descript boogeymen) that people generally connect with with no grounding.

Same with HTTYD - mid-level movie franchise versus the timelessness of scaled beasts flying around shooting fire.

Potter - mountains of book and movie detail versus the timelessness of kids doing wizardry type s**t.

People are mostly pretty simple; as long as you frame the story of what they’re about to experience in some generally recognizable context, it works (such as, we’re gonna link your brain to a big blue person and you’re gonna go fly around for a bit on the back of a bird).

I hope everyone's assumptions are correct, I just am afraid they can not hold there own against the other IPS being represented.

Like I have already said, I am not against the Monsters and hope everything pans out nicely, but there's a bug in my brain saying how this could be the first IP to get rid of or retheme later down the road in EU's life.

I hope everyone's assumptions are correct, I just am afraid they can not hold there own against the other IPS being represented.

Like I have already said, I am not against the Monsters and hope everything pans out nicely, but there's a bug in my brain saying how this could be the first IP to get rid of or retheme later down the road in EU's life.
To be honest I think you’re probably right from a merchandise perspective. It’ll probably be harder to sell Monsters stuff than Potter, HTTYD, or Nintendo stuff.

Again, haven’t been covering this thread, but Universal’s Frankenstein design is so ubiquitous that the green guy with bolts in his neck is literally an icon for Halloween now. He’s so entrenched in our culture that I can’t imagine anyone doesn’t know who he is, regardless of age.

That is all, carry on.

Thank you everyone for easing me a bit.
I still am sceptical because this is really new grounds for a themed land to project something a bit darker then normal attractions and lands.

Again, haven’t been covering this thread, but Universal’s Frankenstein design is so ubiquitous that the green guy with bolts in his neck is literally an icon for Halloween now. He’s so entrenched in our culture that I can’t imagine anyone doesn’t know who he is, regardless of age.

That is all, carry on.
My curiosity is not about recognizability, but about the right version being recognized.
Your right, out of all the Classic Monsters Frankenstein is probably the most recognizable, but does he have a place to carry a land?

Do people still even care about them anymore?

Does lil Johnny wanna go see Mario?
Or Frankenstein?

Does Tween Rod wanna go see Potter?
Or Dracula?

I just want these guys to be represented right while also being a hit.
That is all I have ever wanted, the Classics to have a place in our Modern world amongst regular people, all year around.

We can’t be worrying about re-themes of lands in parks that have never even been built.

We can’t be worrying about re-themes of lands in parks that have never even been built.
You are right on that part, call it paranoia, but I started reading and hearing some rumors that lands could get cut at opening day in order to keep costs down because of Cough cough, are those baseless claims?

You are right on that part, call it paranoia, but I started reading and hearing some rumors that lands could get cut at opening day in order to keep costs down because of Cough cough, are those baseless claims?
I don’t think anyone knows anything right now, more rumors that things from lands are cut rather than entire things being cut but the park is paused so nothing is certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.