Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 257 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood the point of making Kong trackless.

It’s interesting to see it outside with no rail but it adds nothing to the ride.
Maybe because it needs to be as close to the hollywood tram tour tram as possible to be able to resuse the exact same motion platform setup? And the tram tour locks in but otherwise is a free driving vehicle.

Maybe because it needs to be as close to the hollywood tram tour tram as possible to be able to resuse the exact same motion platform setup? And the tram tour locks in but otherwise is a free driving vehicle.

I don't see why they couldn't still use the motion platform with a rail.

Part of me thinks it was just a good excuse to tip their toes in the ride system. Nothing too complex and if it all went tits up, it was easy to retrofit.

Minimum risk with plenty of experience to gain.

Reactions: Legacy
I find it crazy how much Kong breaks down

It's not *that* complex of a ride when compared to others around the resort
It’s actually really complex. Joe mentioned transponders - a trackless vehicle has to have a robust connection and get handed off from point to point to point throughout the ride. If those handoffs don’t work or the connection is weak, that’s bad. If your internet connection blips for a second as this site is loading, you don’t notice the difference. If the connection to a vehicle blips for a second, the ride freaks out because it thinks it’s lost.

Bandwidth and lantency issues made Rivers of Light a year late. If I remember correctly, Test Track had the same problems when it first tried to open.

Just to be clear, a trackless system doesn't mean you don't see the track. A trackless system is a system that has no track at all and the vehicles can be programmed to ride in other parts than intended. For that reason Kong or Symbolica are trackless, Rise of the Resistance isn't as it follows a track imbedded in concrete.

Just to be clear, a trackless system doesn't mean you don't see the track. A trackless system is a system that has no track at all and the vehicles can be programmed to ride in other parts than intended. For that reason Kong or Symbolica are trackless, Rise of the Resistance isn't as it follows a track imbedded in concrete.
Really? I’m confused. The Rise vehicles can decide on their own which load/unload bays to go to as needed, and they change their first/second order between runs. How is that not trackless?

It’s actually really complex. Joe mentioned transponders - a trackless vehicle has to have a robust connection and get handed off from point to point to point throughout the ride. If those handoffs don’t work or the connection is weak, that’s bad. If your internet connection blips for a second as this site is loading, you don’t notice the difference. If the connection to a vehicle blips for a second, the ride freaks out because it thinks it’s lost.

Bandwidth and lantency issues made Rivers of Light a year late. If I remember correctly, Test Track had the same problems when it first tried to open.
Yes the trackless part is certainly the buggy part

otherwise it's a giant bus that parks on two motion platforms lol

Interesting import history from Japanese-based Sansei Technologies, heading to "NBC Universal" as lately as January 8th, 2021.

That's interesting and track rail of all things :lol:

Edit: This is the parent company of Vekoma and S&S. Universal currently have 3 rides from what I can make out from these manufacturers. Woody Woodpecker, The FLying Unicorn and Dr Doom.

S&S did announce a new type of space shot ride which could be retrofit to older models:

I'm not saying that's it but my mind is wandering.

Last edited:
Here's some updated info on Oceaneering's driverless shuttles and some of the possibilities. I foresee these running up and down those bus lanes being built as part of the Kirkman extension.

Edit: This is the parent company of Vekoma and S&S. Universal currently have 3 rides from what I can make out from these manufacturers. Woody Woodpecker, The FLying Unicorn and Dr Doom.

S&S did announce a new type of space shot ride which could be retrofit to older models:

Oh that's obviously not it. It's obviously a 4D Free Spin themed to Dragons :eek:O::lol:

• Haha
Reactions: Scott W.
Oh that's obviously not it. It's obviously a 4D Free Spin themed to Dragons :eek:O::lol:

I wouldn’t be opposed to this if the capacity could be cranked up for HTTYD:

Here's some updated info on Oceaneering's driverless shuttles and some of the possibilities. I foresee these running up and down those bus lanes being built as part of the Kirkman extension.

Just saying this from a tourist perspective, or mine at the very least, the monorail at Disney is kinda cool. Less cool today but like there isn’t stuff like that in Maine/NH, it’s cool to travel over the lakes and roads and go into Epcot on it. Not a draw but it’s memorable from your vacation.

This is Universal’s monorail, this just seems dope haha. These type of things are slowly becoming a thing but still this would be really cool and unique.

Reactions: AnyNameYouWish
I wouldn’t be opposed to this if the capacity could be cranked up for HTTYD:

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Reactions: Scott W.

Donkey Kong is S&S for what it’s worth, but probably too early for that.

my guess is it’s probably something related to Beijing.

That doc suggests the items are being picked up in Japan and taken to Jacksonville. The items seem to be coaster pieces. Granted it's only giving us one bill of lading on one date. And it shows multiple bills of lading over time, so it's hard to say what's going on. I'd think they wouldn't ship all the track for a coaster separately. Maybe this is just a piece to repair something on an existing coaster.

Reactions: AnyNameYouWish
Status
Not open for further replies.