Universal's "Getting Closer to Normal" Guidelines | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's "Getting Closer to Normal" Guidelines

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Even so, it doesn't matter. It's the people who aren't vaccinated not wearing masks that are going to be the main problem.

I think the problem is that if Universal announce a policy change for a month from now, people can read that today and assume it's the current policy.

Changes are being made swiftly to avoid any confusion.
For me it’s more like, give it the weekend lol. I’m sure behind the scenes prep has been made or thought of, which is more important so they know how to handle it.

To be frank, you either have no idea what you are talking about, or no idea how to wear a mask. In the last week, I rode Hulk 4x, VC 5x, Hagrids 4x, Mummy 8x, HRRR once. All while wearing a mask. It slipped down below my nose once, on Hulk. They do not "fly off" unless you are doing something completely wrong.
My throwback Universal one definitely did on Velocicoaster. I had no problems on Hulk

Two weeks ago - when mask mandates outdoors were lifted, the theme park Twitter community was saying “be considerate - make sure you wear your mask when talking to a TM”. Now no one has to wear a mask.

I feel really bad for the TMs if they are working indoors at an attraction right now.

Around 2.7% of the country, or 8.8 million people, are immunosuppressed (including some people in my immediate family). A group that the CDC is saying may still be susceptible to the virus due to lack of antibodies even after the vaccine.

You can guarantee yourself some TMs fall into this category.

Looking at efficacy rates of Pfizer and Moderna, which are higher than most any vaccines ever developed, it's certainly more safe indoors than when all are indoors with only non surgical masks (before vaccines) for protection , which are helpful but not highly effective against covid airborne particulates. And that's not even counting the theme park restaurants once masks came off for eating. I didn't even consider going to a theme park before vaccines. But I feel safe now being fully vaccinated. The science is incredibly strong, especially against severe disease, for Pfizer & Moderna. Anyone going to a theme park last year, even though fully masked, would not have had the efficacy protection that a fully vaccinated (Pfizer or Moderna) person has today. Masks were helpful because that's all we had to protect us, and they help a good bit against the droplets. But only a vaccine is strongly effective against the really small airborne particulates that linger in the air for a fairly large time and are prone to move around an indoor space with poor ventilation. Bottom line, get vaccinated if you want strong protection against covid airborne particulates, and you'll be safe against hospitalization or death from covid. I'm one of those that basically isolated myself, and wore a mask the few times I was in public, until I became fully vaccinated. I now have complete confidence that I have no significant danger from covid and feel completely safe staying at a theme park resort unmasked.I would not have attended a theme park last summer or fall.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder when up close character encounters are coming back.
That last part is key for a normal HHN as well.

I believe this question came up earlier in the thread but I’m really curious about this as well.

If it’s safe for fully vaccinated people to be maskless indoors at theme parks, maskless next to strangers on rides, in crowded restaurants, why haven’t they brought back even outdoor character meet & greets yet?

I just don’t get why they’re still making TMs wear masks at this point. I mean, they offer little protection when everyone else around isn’t wearing one. Any outbreak linked to the parks will be impossible to troubleshoot now. Just seems like it’s adding an extra challenge for the employees right as they gear up for a busy summer.

No one is even pretending at this point.

This is what really alarms me about how fast this is happening.

We can only rely on the hope that everybody will tell the truth, so while (IMO) it would’ve been nice if they waited for the vaccination rates to go up, at this point, we just have to watch out for ourselves it seems.

Anyone know if you're able to request an empty seat next to you on rides/attractions? E.g., if I have a party of 2, can I request a row to just our party on Spider-Man?

Reactions: Allison
Anyone know if you're able to request an empty seat next to you on rides/attractions? E.g., if I have a party of 2, can I request a row to just our party on Spider-Man?

Somebody mentioned that you could previously ask not to have a single rider sitting next to you. Not sure if that policy is now redundant.

I know I said this when the first mask rules began to soften, but the only thing one can do is protect oneself and make sure your decision doesn't impact others. There are legitimate reasons some people haven't gotten the vax yet, and they'll get it in due time. Those same people though, probably don't belong in a theme park setting just yet. We can only assess our own risks and I'm not going to judge anyone if they feel unsafe, just like no one should judge others for feeling safe and ready to move on. (Anti-vax because "microchips and 5G" and other stupid reasons can go kick rocks though. Sorry, not sorry).

Vaccines give the protection we've been needing, with the chance of getting sick very low and the risk of transmission low. If that still is not comfortable for you, wear a mask, which will make those low chances even lower and will still protect others. If that still isn't enough, then a theme park isn't probably an option just yet - and that's fine. It'll be there when you are.

Looking at the Touring Plans lines app......Even with the relaxation of distance and loading restrictions, Universal lines are very long this weekend. Looking like a very normal Memorial Day weekend at Universal. Quite busy, in other words...........At the other end, WDW lines are at the short end of what they've been at the past month with low line times near their 30 day lows. .

Last edited:
Looking at the Touring Plans lines app......Even with the relaxation of distance and loading restrictions, Universal lines are very long this weekend. Looking like a very normal Memorial Day weekend at Universal. Quite busy, in other words...........At the other end, WDW lines are at the short end of what they've been at the past month with low line times near their 30 day lows. .
I think Disney may have finally poisoned the well with their APs and some guest who visit once a year. Universal has handled and responded to the pandemic better in every way since covid started.

Except you can’t get a reservation to get into a Disney park and Universal has Express lines. The calendar would be green if it was not less crowded by choice.

I think Disney may have finally poisoned the well with their APs and some guest who visit once a year. Universal has handled and responded to the pandemic better in every way since covid started.
The Universal executives who had their Comcast overlords all over their backs last summer for reopening too soon would probably disagree with you. And that’s not me guessing at the feedback they were getting.

Except you can’t get a reservation to get into a Disney park and Universal has Express lines. The calendar would be green if it was not less crowded by choice.

The Universal executives who had their Comcast overlords all over their backs last summer for reopening too soon would probably disagree with you. And that’s not me guessing at the feedback they were getting.
Yes, I realize that. But Disney line numbers are at the low end for even their own restricted access, at least according to Touring Plans which ranks Disney line averages in a 30 day period, so they're (Touring Plans) still comparing Disney
apples to Disney apples, rather than comparing them to Universal which doesn't have reservations.

Reactions: SeventyOne