Universal's "Getting Closer to Normal" Guidelines | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's "Getting Closer to Normal" Guidelines

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just an observation, I know that school started back recently, but the crowd levels have been way off the past few days...by a lot. They've now begun putting plexiglass back into the houses. Pretty sure whatever happens at HHN this year, it will be less than we previously expected. They'll probably pulse us through... instead of conga line. I'm guessing that scare zones will just be actors on stages from the look of things. Many of my friends have already cancelled out. Thinking it's probably going to be a bust. It will probably not be what everyone is hoping for at the least.
Pulsing and plexiglass is exactly what I was hoping for.

I thoroughly enjoyed the three houses in 2020... I very much hoping they take similar precautions this year.

And when one dies from being an idiot, I won't be the one to say I told you so.
Exactly -- I'm on record for not having sympathy/taking joy when people win the stupid prize on all this.

Not picking on you specofically here either, though I'm sure it feels that way - I honestly think you're doing the right thing - I'm just not a fan of the tactic of saying something, and the moment they get any pushback or criticism, up comes the "we can all choose, that's freedom/my rights, dur dur dur, don't criticize me" canard. Make your choice, whatever choice it is, but if people're going to share it with the class, they should have the backbone to defend it.

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1
Pulsing and plexiglass is exactly what I was hoping for.

I thoroughly enjoyed the three houses in 2020... I very much hoping they take similar precautions this year.
The pool noodles were hilarious, but, they proved last year that they can in fact make the houses work in unprecedented situations

I'm spending a few days at Horror Nights, if the plexiglass is that much of an impedance, then I'll just walk around and enjoy the scarezones

Horror Nights is in a unique situation where most of their scares are highly programmed and you really just need a warm body to step on a pedal

An event like HOS or HOS would shrivel and die under these conditions

Reactions: snayberry
Exactly -- I'm on record for not having sympathy/taking joy when people win the stupid prize on all this.

Not picking on you specofically here either, though I'm sure it feels that way - I honestly think you're doing the right thing - I'm just not a fan of the tactic of saying something, and the moment they get any pushback or criticism, up comes the "we can all choose, that's freedom/my rights, dur dur dur, don't criticize me" canard. Make your choice, whatever choice it is, but if people're going to share it with the class, they should have the backbone to defend it.
Well said. I actually take it as a compliment. Really didn't think you were trying to single me out. I am making my choice for myself and you yours. For me the juice isn't worth the squeeze, so to speak. The amount of money and risk weighed against the experience, which could cause me harm or death isn't worth it. Not to mention the difference of plexiglass or not is a totally different experience. If it can't be something even close to normal, I'm just not willing to take the risk. Yes I've been vaccinated, but if I don't have to risk getting it to attend a sub par event why should I?

Well said. I actually take it as a compliment. Really didn't think you were trying to single me out. I am making my choice for myself and you yours. For me the juice isn't worth the squeeze, so to speak. The amount of money and risk weighed against the experience, which could cause me harm or death isn't worth it. Not to mention the difference of plexiglass or not is a totally different experience. If it can't be something even close to normal, I'm just not willing to take the risk. Yes I've been vaccinated, but if I don't have to risk getting it to attend a sub par event why should I?
I don't think anyone is judging your decision, and I suspect there is a group that is making the same decision

I certainly understand why someone would be reconsidering

I have a friend in our group that got cold feet and won't be attending with the rest of us..nor has he gone since the parks re-opened

According to guest services this weekend the plan for HHN is very fluid and has changed multiple times just in the last week. No one really knows what the event will be until it actually starts.

Reactions: SeventyOne
According to guest services this weekend the plan for HHN is very fluid and has changed multiple times just in the last week. No one really knows what the event will be until it actually starts.
I'm sure there's some last minute scrambling, and I'm not so sure that doesn't happen every year...Only this time there's an added challenge

Reactions: RFRees
I suspect that GS is telling you what it needs to in order to get you on your way.
I didn't even ask about horror nights, she brought it up on her own. I was there asking about upgrading my APs to a different pass. She mentioned it when speaking about how things have been changing every day. Her exact words were "such as horror nights, we hear something new and different each day."

Then of course I asked about plexiglass since it seemed like she was in a sharing mood and at that point she realized she said something she wasn't supposed to because then her response was a canned "well they really don't tell us too much."

So I left it at that, was dealing with the kids and didn't want to pry for an event that is coming in a few weeks and I'll be going to no matter what.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I heard from a scare actor who had rehearsals the other night said there wasn’t going to be any. Hoping confirmation comes out sooner than later.
I have heard the exact same thing from team members, as in no plexiglass. I just wish we could please stop the plexiglass or no plexiglass narrative. It’s exhausting and stressful. This event is an outlet for us all, and hopefully will be a nice welcome back for all of us long term fans. The only two things we know for sure is we will A know everything within 3 weeks regarding safety procedures, if anything, and B they will not please everyone. No amount of fan encouragement for plexiglass or other procedures will change what universal is planning and will do.
For what it’s worth, I read through all the other post and I tend to agree. Why go to an event that’s sub par. For me plexiglass took a lot away last year, but I was just happy to experience something. Now if I would have paid for last year I would have been upset.

Last edited:
I have heard the exact same thing from team members, as in no plexiglass. I just wish we could please stop the plexiglass or no plexiglass narrative. It’s exhausting and stressful. This event is an outlet for us all, and hopefully will be a nice welcome back for all of us long term fans. The only two things we know for sure is we will A know everything within 3 weeks regarding safety procedures, if anything, and B they will not pleased they everyone. No amount of fan encouragement for plexiglass or other procedures will change what universal is planning and will do.
For what it’s worth, I read through all the other post and I tend to agree. Why go to an event that’s sub par. For me plexiglass took a lot away last year, but I was just happy to experience something. Now if I would have paid for last year I would have been upset.
If they mandate masks in the houses (for guests and scareactors) and pulse groups - that should be enough.

I feel kinda stupid for asking, but how has pulsing worked? Like would my group of three go in solo, with a pause before the next group? Or they just divide it in larger mixed groups — like 10 go, pause, 10 go, pause … ?

I feel kinda stupid for asking, but how has pulsing worked? Like would my group of three go in solo, with a pause before the next group? Or they just divide it in larger mixed groups — like 10 go, pause, 10 go, pause … ?

Basically, they had the social distancing markers on the floor and you basically just had to keep your distance from the group in front of you. TMs in the houses also made sure you weren't creeping up behind anyone and vice versa people weren't on top of you from behind. Made the run throughs more fun.

I didn't even ask about horror nights, she brought it up on her own. I was there asking about upgrading my APs to a different pass. She mentioned it when speaking about how things have been changing every day. Her exact words were "such as horror nights, we hear something new and different each day."

Then of course I asked about plexiglass since it seemed like she was in a sharing mood and at that point she realized she said something she wasn't supposed to because then her response was a canned "well they really don't tell us too much."

So I left it at that, was dealing with the kids and didn't want to pry for an event that is coming in a few weeks and I'll be going to no matter what.

There’s a lot that goes into any event that directly impacts guest services…I doubt they’d be privy to the design/content of the actual houses though. I’d guess the person you were speaking with was more referring to things like hours, capacity limits, Virtual Line, etc. Things that directly impact the operation. Plexiglass wouldn’t really move the needle for guest services, and even if it did it would just be a matter of taking complaints after the fact, nothing they can really prepare for.

All that to say…it could still go either way.