USH Google Earth Aerial Image Updated | Inside Universal Forums

USH Google Earth Aerial Image Updated

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 2, 2013
Orange County, CA
This is something that i've actually been looking forward to for some time now with all the awesome construction. 

WWoHP/Springfield:

2u6pdw3.jpg

Despicable Me/Universal Plaza:

fjn9z4.jpg

Fast and Furious/Parking Lot

301huef.jpg

Loved looking at that! About time!

Two notes: The main F&F building looks to be 100% identical in size to the Kong building, which we figured would happen anyway. I'm more curious about the first show building!

(On a side note, what a pity that so much space for Kong was wasted for a long dark tunnel simply for us to "adjust to the darkness", and wasn't made into an additional scene!

If you combine The Globe Theatre footprint with the HoH footprint, you get a very large attraction the size of Minion Mayhem. I hope they do that one day in the future.

I am glad this has finally been released...

As a true map person, always keep true north at the top!

Brown - Hogsmead and FJ.

Grey - Fast Food Boulevard aka Springfield.

Green - Hippogriff.

Purple - ???  Seems to small to be a lake.  Remember the white arrow has a large elevation change.  I think this would be a great way as an alternative entrance for WWoHP and a relief exit.  That seems natural!  However, I think we need to keep an eye on this area for possible development.

If those trees near the Tour bridge are removed...that could be a big indication of development.

Ah! Love this. Too bad FJ's full footprint isn't there.
Yes, the full footprint is there.  The castle will protrude only slightly.

Plus consider the walkway up to FJ from the main gate access similar to IOA.

Reactions: William and Aaron
Definitely not as big of an area as once thought but I can imagine a very small river running behind Broomsticks, feeding into a VERY small lake by the Hogwarts facade.

Terraserver actually has some photos from early September of a more progressed Forbidden Journey showbuilding. Still no signs of Hippogriff.

2nqupzr.jpg

Fast and the Furious with the main showbuilding complete.

flvtcl.jpg

Sorry I'm late to the part, but that purple area is just another row of Hogsmeade buildings! They're in all the pics! I can't figure out how to put this picture on here, but here's a IU picture of that area:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/insideuniversal/16442427164

Far right is Disco Stu's, next to it is the end of the Hogsmeade portion of that same building. To the left is the alternate entrance. Far left are those purple buildings! 

Obviously you can't just plop down IOA's version here because the right side of the Three Broomsticks building on Chris's CORRECTLY-ORIENTED map is actually covering what is obviously a walkway. Plus, that final building poking out on the lower right of that cluster clearly doesn't exist. Unaltered maps and pictures show that the street here is a straight shot to Hogwarts and if that building existed, we couldn't see Hogwarts. If you remove the portions that are covering the walkway, you can clearly see a series of what appears to be three buildings across the street - the purple area!

The first map looks to me like this Three Broomsticks building is smaller than the original building, as Springfield seems to take up a big chunk of it. So it seems that whatever was connected to the eateries probably got moved across the street here. I don't know what else is in that building other than Hog's Head Pub. That could sit off on its own. In fact, they look suspiciously the same shape as the Hog's Head extension. Or they're where the bathrooms are going to be, which actually makes more sense. Get them off the main drag. But maybe too far from the restaurant.

(I'll try to do a proper map later, if I can figure out how to upload it. Maybe it's because I'm at work..."

Is anyone having this problem? On my computer, google maps sill shows the old overhead image with the Gibson Amphitheatre intact. But when i go to the mobile app, it shows the Harry Potter construction and DM complete. Does anyone know anyway to fix this?

Is anyone having this problem? On my computer, google maps sill shows the old overhead image with the Gibson Amphitheatre intact. But when i go to the mobile app, it shows the Harry Potter construction and DM complete. Does anyone know anyway to fix this?
 I am having the same exact problem. My Chrome on my home computer shows the Gibson image. At work it shows the Hogwarts image. It's something about the "administrator not being allowed to update" or some crap. There's a fix that involves going into the command prompt but I just opened Google Maps on IE and it shows the Hogwarts image.

Okay, here goes nuthin... They're a bit large but it shows the detail.

Hogsmeade in IOA:

IOA%20Hogsmeade_zpsfnghumpk.jpg

Hogsmeade in USH (oriented EXACTLY):

USH%20Hogsmeade%201_zpspudessm3.jpg

USH with some purty colors:

USH%20Hogsmeade%202_zpsaur0jzk2.jpg

IOA with purty colors (note the shapes):

IOA%20Hogsmeade%202_zpssdm76mqn.jpg

USH with IOA's buildings pasted into it:

USH%20Hogsmeade%203_zpspevb2hgu.jpg

Okay, so obviously the layout is pretty exact except for a few things.

1) Zonko's/Honeydukes appear to be expanding a little bit, which isn't surprising since they were kind of shoehorned into a space bordering a Lost Continent building.

2) There is obviously no room for the Three Broomsticks' expansive patio seating area. That exists in IOA because it overlooks the lagoon and doesn't interfere with the theming elsewhere. But they can't just plop down a bunch of umbrella tables back here because that area is now evidently a side street of Hogsmeade. Not having that extra seating is a problem because this will be a popular restaurant. Notice there is an open space between Disco Stu's and the kitchen area. It's a weirdly open area, but I have a feeling Disco Stu's door is actually the entrance to the kitchen here. Maybe this can be a breakroom of sorts? On the other side of the Disco Stu/Hogsmeade wall is another open space which is an outdoor possibility. If completely surrounded by a wall or some major shrubbery, it wouldn't be a problem when walking through the alternate entrance. But that's still not even half of what is in IOA. There is another weird open space to the left of the kitchen, between Springfield and Zonko's/Honeydukes. This is another possibility for outdoor seating but I don't know what they've done to separate Zonko's from Springfield. Is it a brick wall that goes all the way from one to the other? Hmmm. There is one more possibility, which I will talk about later...

3) While Three Broomsticks/Hog's Head Pub seem to fit perfectly in the space, there's one small problem: I had to remove the restrooms and the facades (???) to the right of them. Here's a picture with those two things still connected:

USH%20Hogsmeade%204_zpsq8mawnq4.jpg

While it's a little closer to IOA, for some reason it is way too close to the other buildings and it narrows the walkway too much. Of course, I could be tilted a little wrong, but the shape fits a little too perfectly for me to be off by too much. Now check out the red outline. In IOA, that's just a skinny facade. There is far too much infrastructure in this red building for it to be a simple facade. So my guess is:

USH%20Hogsmeade%205_zpsfut1traf.jpg

... that the red area will be the new bathrooms. I'm pretty positive this will be the case because the only other places they could go - where they are in IOA or in the purple buildings - have NO infrastructure. Look at the original map. All the infrastructure we saw when they dug this place up, ends right where the Hog's Head Pub is. And the purple buildings are being built on flat dirt also. This is my one discovery I'm feeling pretty confident about.

4) So what is going on next to Hog's Head Pub?  Everything lying in that space is just a bunch of steel for the building and not necessarily where any extension is being built. BUT I don't think they're just going to stop this building right there, mostly because in IOA it does poke right into the angle created by the green building and archway. Maybe they'll move the bathrooms and build the ??? building at the end instead. Maybe this will be a stage that pokes out that far (not a bad idea since here it can be seen from many different places, but that would be a HUGE stage and would still make this portion of Hogsmeade feel a little too open. Or maybe it'll be a completely new extension for Three Broomsticks/Hog's Head Pub. THIS could be where they'll put the extra seating they lose by not including IOA's terrace. It's hard to tell from Terraserver satellite pics, which are more up-to-date, because they are very dark. And it looks like there are a lot of trucks parked around the completed buildings, making it hard to tell what's building and what isn't. I'd guess they did build something to mimic the layout of IOA's Hogsmeade but just waited on this section until they had to move the cranes out. Which further suggests this portion is far less complicated than a restaurant or restroom complex. Extra seating or backstage stuff.

5) And then there are the purple buildings. Yes, they look like three distinct buildings (once again, the parts I didn't highlight are steel waiting to go onto the buildings I outlined). And there seems to be a lot of space between each. This COULD be a secret new section with lots to explore. Of course facades could block off the area between and behind the buildings and it could all be another backstage area for the employees. At the corner, where the two Hogsmeade streets intersect, could be where the stage will go, and this could all be a backstage area for that. Remember that USH doesn't have a large backstage area like the Orlando parks do, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more buildings here but no new offerings for visitors. 

Any thoughts or ideas on what's going on here?

Okay, I tried to edit a little and then it said I didn't have permission. One more thing:

6) Those purple buildings might have a more important purpose: They might be the NEW Ollivander's. Recall that lines for the wand shop were ridiculous from when Hogsmeade IOA opened up until Diagon Alley opened the "original" Ollivander's years later. I can't see USH repeating that mistake. They don't have room to expand the shop in that central building, unless they dump the Owl Post, which doesn't really give them that much extra room. That northernmost purple building looks way larger than Ollivander's currently is, so it could hold an expanded shop and the queue could go between the buildings, or behind that middle building, which would keep the lane out front from looking like a ride entrance. They could instead move the Owl Post and/or D&B over to the purple buildings and expand Ollivander's in the central building, but that would make the area veer even further from the books/movies. It makes more sense to move Ollivander's off the main drag and treat it like it's an "annex" of the Diagon Alley original. 

Last edited by a moderator: