Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

USH Price Increase!

Universal is soon going to run out of names they can call their passes.   "California Neighbor Pass" is such an odd name for a season pass.  The name suggest that the pass is only valid for people who live out of state. Very odd.

Hey, Universal, for your next annual/season pass change, may I suggest calling it the "Planetary Citizen Annual Pass"

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any rumors about new pass types to be offered OR changes (i.e. added benefits) to the existing passes? Haha, I know that's a loaded question for this board. But I'll need a new pass at the beginning of January and am starting to think how much do I really want to spend on a Universal AP. I've been a Premium Star pass holder for so long, but the thought of spending $589 on an USH pass is pretty distasteful. So I'm leaning towards the Costco Gold AP, but I'm not a fan of every weekend blocked out in the month of July and most of the weekends in August.  I may have to accept that I won't have the ability to go to the park any time I want. It's been very nice not having any blockout dates, but the park just isn't worth $589 for that.

Are there any rumors about new pass types to be offered OR changes (i.e. added benefits) to the existing passes? Haha, I know that's a loaded question for this board. But I'll need a new pass at the beginning of January and am starting to think how much do I really want to spend on a Universal AP. I've been a Premium Star pass holder for so long, but the thought of spending $589 on an USH pass is pretty distasteful.

Given that Universal has heavily promoted the California Neighbor Pass, I'd be surprised if we see any more pass changes in the coming weeks. You might want to try the Costco pass as an option if you're not a fan of the Platinum.

Given that Universal has heavily promoted the California Neighbor Pass, I'd be surprised if we see any more pass changes in the coming weeks. You might want to try the Costco pass as an option if you're not a fan of the Platinum.

Agreed, and we are almost half way through the month and they have yet to announce a new pass, so that's a sign as well.  

I was checking the Annual Pass page today and the California Neighbor pass is now $129 and they've added more blackouts to the month of April. 

I was checking the Annual Pass page today and the California Neighbor pass is now $129 and they've added more blackouts to the month of April. 

I wonder if the price increase of the California Neighbor Pass is a reflection that Universal is now hitting their sales target for APs. After nearly a year of constant tweaking of annual pass/seasonal pass types and pricing, this feels like they're finally hitting projections. I think it was briefly mentioned in the most recent podcast. Does this seem like a good assumption? If so, I wonder which pass types are accounting for the bulk of sales: e.g. the California Neighbor Pass or the competitively priced Costco passes.

I wonder if the price increase of the California Neighbor Pass is a reflection that Universal is now hitting their sales target for APs. After nearly a year of constant tweaking of annual pass/seasonal pass types and pricing, this feels like they're finally hitting projections. I think it was briefly mentioned in the most recent podcast. Does this seem like a good assumption? If so, I wonder which pass types are accounting for the bulk of sales: e.g. the California Neighbor Pass or the competitively priced Costco passes.

You're probably right. I think the CA Neighbor Pass boosted the AP numbers because it was a really good deal. How much is the Costco pass? 

I think I am going to buy those Gold passes from Costco soon, in case they raise the prices on those.  They are currently $199.99 and have 337 days available.  

The lower pass is still $109.99 with 250 days available.

If I have a CA Neighbor Pass but want to upgrade to the Gold Pass, can I do that with the Costco version or do I have no choice but to upgrade to the normal Gold Pass?

If I have a CA Neighbor Pass but want to upgrade to the Gold Pass, can I do that with the Costco version or do I have no choice but to upgrade to the normal Gold Pass?

Normal gold, sorry. You're not able to upgrade to any Costco pass. 

Damn... I was afraid of that. Oh well! No big deal. Thanks for the help! 

Also, if you were to update to the gold from your neighbor pass, I believe your gold pass would back date to the day of your first use of the neighbor pass.  So to me it doesn't make much sense to pay the difference for the Universal gold pass, instead of just picking up the Costco gold pass. 

Now that several miles to the south, Disney has raised ticket and AP prices for the year, how soon do you think it will take USH to do the same?

Admittedly, I haven't been watching the price of 1-day tickets, but the lowest priced 1-day ticket available on the USH website now is $105. Have they already effectively "raised" prices by getting rid of the $90 and $95 ticket tiers? Or did they do that quietly a while back and I didn't notice?