Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing is going together in such bits and pieces that it must be a real mind bender to schedule what and when.

biElFwj.jpg

This thing is going together in such bits and pieces that it must be a real mind bender to schedule what and when.

Disney, well WDI really, likes to advertise that they created a software program that visualizes the build process and assigns different elements to corresponding timelines and then shows conflicts. Like if a wall was scheduled to have sheetrock put in one day 1 but then on day 2 its scheduled to have conduit run through it - the program would point out it'd be better to have the conduit run first and then install the sheet rock.

However, as nifty as that sounds, i have NEVER seen it used in instances where it would have been obviously helpful to the full project timeline.

Regardless, they sell/rent the software or whatever and i'm sure UC has access to something akin to it to plan all their pipes and parts.

Disney, well WDI really, likes to advertise that they created a software program that visualizes the build process and assigns different elements to corresponding timelines and then shows conflicts. Like if a wall was scheduled to have sheetrock put in one day 1 but then on day 2 its scheduled to have conduit run through it - the program would point out it'd be better to have the conduit run first and then install the sheet rock.

However, as nifty as that sounds, i have NEVER seen it used in instances where it would have been obviously helpful to the full project timeline.

Regardless, they sell/rent the software or whatever and i'm sure UC has access to something akin to it to plan all their pipes and parts.

I remember seeing that video.. Considering it took 4 decades to build New Fantasyland they may want to start from scratch on the software..

That sounds just like BIM (Building Information Modelling), it's the next big thing in construction management, but emphasis on the next.

I remember seeing that video.. Considering it took 4 decades to build New Fantasyland they may want to start from scratch on the software..

They outsource the majority of their IT department, it would be better if they bought something from a company that doesn't outsource vs. build it themselves. I am pretty sure the reason the bands had so many issues was from outsourcing. I am trying to figure out when companies will realize it costs more money in hours spent on something than if they would just let actual trained programmers here in the US program it. I spent 2 months of waiting on programmers to program something completely wrong before my boss let me take over. I had it programmed and working properly in 2 days. You seriously could not believe half the crap that happens with outsourcing.

They outsource the majority of their IT department, it would be better if they bought something from a company that doesn't outsource vs. build it themselves. I am pretty sure the reason the bands had so many issues was from outsourcing. I am trying to figure out when companies will realize it costs more money in hours spent on something than if they would just let actual trained programmers here in the US program it. I spent 2 months of waiting on programmers to program something completely wrong before my boss let me take over. I had it programmed and working properly in 2 days. You seriously could not believe half the crap that happens with outsourcing.
:thumbsup: You are so right on. :clap:

Just think. At this time next year, in the midst of Spring Break, thousands of people daily will be descending on Volcano Bay. And Cabana Bay Resort will be even more of a prime vacation resort(at Value prices no less) due to their location a few steps away from Volcano Bay. Great times at Universal for sure.

You say that... But WDI is the prime example of the abuse of an internal department spending money frivolously and extortionately because they know they are the defacto vendor for the projects.

Their back end office departments seem to be run much tighter than their ops and creative departments. The people I know are under paid and over worked.

UC is using something simular I guess. Take a look at the making off of Diagon Alley at 20:00. You see an Ipad with all the building levels of the project.

Reactions: Scott W.
That sounds just like BIM (Building Information Modelling), it's the next big thing in construction management, but emphasis on the next.

Yes, sounds exactly like BIM to me. I would be shocked if WDI or UC is not using BIM. They probably have been using BIM in some capacity for 10+ years. I work with BIM daily and while it is relatively new it is definitely making large strides to becoming a must for any project. Collision detection is just one of many cool tools and benefits of BIM.

While BIM software is a great tool it can definitely be 'over' used and over detailed ultimately slowing things down from a project management stand point. However, these complex projects with lots of trades overlapping, BIM is absolutely the only way to go in today's market place.

FYI, WDI did not invent the concept of BIM but they did probably heavily customize it with their own software designed specifically for their needs.

Just think. At this time next year, in the midst of Spring Break, thousands of people daily will be descending on Volcano Bay. And Cabana Bay Resort will be even more of a prime vacation resort(at Value prices no less) due to their location a few steps away from Volcano Bay. Great times at Universal for sure.

Now back to Volcano Bay, will Cabana Bay guests have direct access to the entry area? Or, will guests have to bus over to city walk on the standard theme park bus and then take the shuttle back to the park? I hope there is at least a nice short little walking path. If so, will Sapphire Falls have access to the path too?

Reactions: Quetzal
Now back to Volcano Bay, will Cabana Bay guests have direct access to the entry area? Or, will guests have to bus over to city walk on the standard theme park bus and then take the shuttle back to the park? I hope there is at least a nice short little walking path. If so, will Sapphire Falls have access to the path too?

Well the entry isn't facing near Cabana. There may be a walkway, but the entry faces towards I4 on the SE side.

Status
Not open for further replies.