Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 120 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I stayed in the Tower Suite a little over three weeks ago! We were on the 7th floor of the Americana building and had an amazing view. Krakatau erupts every hour. When I was there, there were only lights at the top of the Volcano and they were on all night. (It was on when I crashed around 11pm and it was still on when I woke up around 6am).

I stayed in the Tower Suite a little over three weeks ago! We were on the 7th floor of the Americana building and had an amazing view. Krakatau erupts every hour. When I was there, there were only lights at the top of the Volcano and they were on all night. (It was on when I crashed around 11pm and it was still on when I woke up around 6am).
Cool! Did it "erupt" at all after the park was closed? I think I can probably guess the answer here, but one can hope.

Man I'm so HYPED to go in September. I got a Volcano view room and everything as well.

With my Orlando trip coming up in a few weeks...

What is the best way to attack Volcano Bay when the rope drops? Would the InsideUniversal review of VB be a good place to start?

With my Orlando trip coming up in a few weeks...

What is the best way to attack Volcano Bay when the rope drops? Would the InsideUniversal review of VB be a good place to start?

Head left at the fork as soon as you go in. If you're getting a locker, get one in the bay immediately before Maku Puihi - this is the central location. Hit the aqua coaster first, then drop slides, then Honu. If you can get these as "ride now" status or short TapuTapu waits, you have conquered the park. Everything else is gravy after that. Ohno and Ohya sometimes get high, so do that next.

The Kunuku Boat Bar is a great place to get a drink during waits - it has a table facing the tube slides so it is fantastic for people watching!

Head left at the fork as soon as you go in. If you're getting a locker, get one in the bay immediately before Maku Puihi - this is the central location. Hit the aqua coaster first, then drop slides, then Honu. If you can get these as "ride now" status or short TapuTapu waits, you have conquered the park. Everything else is gravy after that. Ohno and Ohya sometimes get high, so do that next.

The Kunuku Boat Bar is a great place to get a drink during waits - it has a table facing the tube slides so it is fantastic for people watching!

I appreciate it!

Reactions: Porkchop
Reactions: Mad Dog
Miami's WSVN-TV throws TapuTapu under the bus:

Virtual line technology at Volcano Bay causing long waits – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale

I guess it hasn't occurred to anyone in the media that the real problem is that there are not enough attractions for the intended capacity.

Is there any chance, because of this, that Universal works on an expansion quickly? In a way, it would make sense to alleviate the issues that they're having right now with the long waits.

Is there any chance, because of this, that Universal works on an expansion quickly? In a way, it would make sense to alleviate the issues that they're having right now with the long waits.

I honestly think the bigger issue with a park that completely runs on virtual line technology, is that you have a majority of people now waiting for attractions they would normally not wait for due to the wait time, pushing up wait times even more. Most wouldn't wait 70+ minutes for a waterslide and would just kind of shrug it off and find another one to go ride, but it's super easy to just tap and not think about it.

I honestly think the bigger issue with a park that completely runs on virtual line technology, is that you have a majority of people now waiting for attractions they would normally not wait for due to the wait time, pushing up wait times even more. Most wouldn't wait 70+ minutes for a waterslide and would just kind of shrug it off and find another one to go ride, but it's super easy to just tap and not think about it.

I think there is truth to this.

I think there is truth to this.

There was an article posted on here recently about wait times and whether the brain perceives them as fair. Explains the whole concept pretty well, can't remember what website it was though

Reactions: tielo
I'd say a great fix to most of the capacity issues would be to add about 6 moderate regular feet first body slides coming off of 1 platform. That's the one thing VB doesn't have at the moment is medium sized regular body slides. Somewhere between the giant volcano ones and the kiddie ones. Sure mat racers are cool and they have the Ohno and Ohya, but there are no medium sized slides that everyone in the family can do. If you put 6 of them off the same platform each with a different route profile, then that would add potentially 6 different experiences that guests can enjoy while they're waiting for their return time on the bigger attractions. Tapu Tapu isn't really the main issue, it's capacity, and this idea would add a ton of capacity and reridability that could be constructed quickly in a relatively small area.

I think the biggest problem, as has been pointed out in the past, that everyone in the park is always in line for something. In a traditional park, you may be in line for a ride, or you may be in a river, pool, eating, walking around, on a lounge chair or in the bathroom or anything that doesn't make lines longer. With VB, you can do all of those things and be taking up space in line at the same time. Because of that, it inflates wait times across the board. I think it's completely broken the capacity math they had to work with. Speeding up operations will help with that some. Adding more Tapu Tapu slides will help some. But I don't know that there is a real fix to the issue. The biggest draws are going to have long lines. It's very much like a traditional theme park in that respect.