Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 75 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just caught up all 74 pages as I've followed construction for however many years then got too busy to read opening news the month the place finally opens. What an experience this thread has been :lol:

Wishing Universal all the best with this, looks like they've got a challenge on their hands but I'm sure they'll make the best of it they can given time.

I don't understand the desire for warm water on a hot day.
Example: The two main Portofino pools (not counting the small East Wing pool)have quite different temperatures. The Family Pool is usually pretty warm, if not too warm, on a hot humid Florida day. The Formal Pool is always refreshingly cooler, and that's the one we prefer. We've talked to the attendants there and the pool temperatures are different on purpose. Like you, I'd rather be in the cooler water if the outdoor temperatures are in the 80's or 90's.

I'd hope they finish the park they already have before moving on

There are kids in Africa that don't have a water park you know

In all seriousness though, I would have all hands on deck until everything is complete with VB, then begin on a new expansion for next spring..

This isn't at the OP or anything and I do not work in construction, but I always see comments like this, finish this before starting that...but don't different crews have different skills? I mean the team that starts is doing piping and stuff in difrt, then concrete teams or something, I would think that the team that is 'finishing' things couldn't be helped by electricians or anything??

I don't understand the desire for warm water on a hot day.

I was surprised at how cold the wave pool was...but I thought it was a feature and not 'defect'. The Atlantic where I live does not get as cold as the wave pool water was on our visit.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I'd hope they finish the park they already have before moving on

There are kids in Africa that don't have a water park you know

In all seriousness though, I would have all hands on deck until everything is complete with VB, then begin on a new expansion for next spring..
Oh I totally agree...I was just joking.

(Though I would have no problem with them finishing up details around the park AND starting the expansion.)

A list at what I noticed yesterday:

• The row of cabanas near the kid's area is finally open. Looks like the only cabana set that isn't ready is by the back corner near Honu Ika Moana.
  • Don't remember if I mentioned this but Ko'okiri now is at its original entrance.
  • They have added string lights to a lot of the staircase in the Volcano. Bottom steel frame not finished yet.
  • TeAwa was back to normal yesterday.
  • The eruptions happened a few times yesterday. Not sure if it was due to testing or anything else.
  • The TapuTapu now alerts you when a storm is approaching and the attractions are closed.
  • Many of the Tapu effects were working, and they have added a couple more areas.

So it seems the only area they seem to be really working on that's clearly evident is the Volcano stairs, Vol's area, and the last set of cabanas.

Did you notice if the cabanas near the kid's area that are now open included any of the large family cabanas? Or are those still under construction?

This isn't at the OP or anything and I do not work in construction, but I always see comments like this, finish this before starting that...but don't different crews have different skills? I mean the team that starts is doing piping and stuff in difrt, then concrete teams or something, I would think that the team that is 'finishing' things couldn't be helped by electricians or anything??

Yeah, this comes up every now and then about projects on here. But, the crew they will probably use to start VB phase two's underground and foundations, might still be on the Aventura site. And even then, that crew might already be scheduled to move on to the WNW site after. The guys at VB right now won't be digging in drainage pipes. lol

But, they do probably need to finish VB's current stuff up first as I'm sure the expansion plot is being used for staging and construction trailers. That'll all have to go and they will have to get plans approved before they can do anything.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
Yeah, this comes up every now and then about projects on here. But, the crew they will probably use to start VB phase two's underground and foundations, might still be on the Aventura site. And even then, that crew might already be scheduled to move on to the WNW site after. The guys at VB right now won't be digging in drainage pipes. lol

But, they do probably need to finish VB's current stuff up first as I'm sure the expansion plot is being used for staging and construction trailers. That'll all have to go and they will have to get plans approved before they can do anything.

My assumption is that most of the crews are sub-contractors. Depending on their circumstances, they could have moved off onto anything. - After all, drains are drains and concrete pouring is concrete pouring!

Reactions: Mad Dog
What's the greatest issue at hand for them as well. If they move ahead quickly with expansion, then in Uni's mind its capacity. I would argue with how the expansion info dropped, capacity has been top of mind since before opening. This doesn't discount "finishes", but if the guest rage has begun to lessen and Tapu is getting worked out, then overall capacity might solve the "future" issue.

Reactions: Andysol
Everything goes on pause essentially. It'll be back once all clear is given.

There are ladders and areas where you can see where water features will be going.

The black tarp (I didn't share that) was a black netting, and that's been there for a while. Still see the underbelly.

Also, wave pool was warm, and they are finishing painting the pool area sides.
I went over the weekend and we had a storm delay Saturday afternoon. The Tapu Tapu buzzed with a note about a storm delay, then buzzed again with an "All Clear." Whatever reservation you had pre-storm was kept.

Also, the water was warm Saturday afternoon. We went for EPA Sunday and Monday mornings and it was cooler, but still comfortable (possibly warm for some people, but I would prefer a hot tub 24/7) simply because it takes a little to get the heat going.

Was driving by an hour ago, and it's dark from the storm... Noticed they added garden lights along the stairways in the volcano. Looks like a backyard party going on in Krakatau!

Yeah, definitely feels more Spring Break than tropical island. And is it just me, or is it messing with the forced perspective of the volcano? Because the back is open, I thought seeing the stairs started to make it feel wonky, but the lights are even closer to the top, so it definitely feels wrong to me. Does it feel that way in person or is it just because I'm looking at a picture?

Reactions: Talking Head
Yeah, definitely feels more Spring Break than tropical island. And is it just me, or is it messing with the forced perspective of the volcano? I thought having the stairs started to make it feel wonky, but the lights are even closer to the top. Does it feel that way in person or is it just because I'm looking at a picture?
That's a zoomed in picture from I-4 Eastbound... but it stood out to me as funny looking, which is why I snapped a pic.

Reactions: ChristopherSE