Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 88 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
More relevant, Aquatica's only issue opening day was lack of chairs--was corrected within days. (Crowds became an issue quickly on local roadways, but that wasn't the park itself.) Haven't been to the LegoLand water park, but online reviews were positive when it opened, no horror stories on Touring Plans.

I wasn't in Florida during opening of Typhoon or Blizzard, but I've never heard horror stories. Is there still an archive of Rec.Arts.Disney? Should have been online reactions to Blizzard opening at least.

But the fact you're grasping at straws going back generations for apples-to-oranges comparisons is what really makes me ask questions.
Just pointing out that parks having incomplete openings isn't unusual. And since AK was the last major park to open, of course its been a while. (BB did have some minor slide issues but they were resolved within a few days). The difference is there wasn't social media like today.

Just pointing out that parks having incomplete openings isn't unusual. And since AK was the last major park to open, of course its been a while. (BB did have some minor slide issues but they were resolved within a few days). The difference is there wasn't social media like today.

This isn't incomplete. We haven't had any park open this unfinished. Ever.

I'd say USF was worse, but other than that...
Yeah USF was way worse. One ride (ET) working with a 5 hour wait. Hanna-Barbera was up and down also with a 4 hours wait. Kong, Jaws, Earthquake didn't for weeks (or months). Exteriors still being painted. Angry people everywhere. (There's got to be some archived footage from the people yelling in front of Earthquake). And this wasn't even a quickly resolved issue... Kong didn't open for months, and Jaws eventually had to be shut down for years to be completely redesigned. If it wasn't for the successful opening of BTTF ride the following year people wondered if USF would even make it to year 3. Attendance was less than 50% of projections for the year (less than 3 million). So yeah, I'd say that was waaaay worse. :D

@Brian G. just a thought here, but maybe making a standalone "State of Volcano Bay" thread would be a good idea. This thread is getting cluttered with the park's condition, and although it is "general discussion" that pertains to the park, it brings out a negative vibe for the thread when general park happenings and bits drop. VB's condition is basically the new #SCREENZ, so it might be worth its own thread.

Reactions: Kwame
@Brian G. just a thought here, but maybe making a standalone "State of Volcano Bay" thread would be a good idea. This thread is getting cluttered with the park's condition, and although it is "general discussion" that pertains to the park, it brings out a negative vibe for the thread when general park happenings and bits drop. VB's condition is basically the new #SCREENZ, so it might be worth its own thread.

While there is merit in your request, there's no way to get around the "negative vibe." I'm no proponent of either vibe. I'm sure my opinion will change when I visit on Wednesday but for now, I remain tired of both sides apologists. I understand where you're coming from, though.

Tim Tracker's video is proof that you can have a great time at Volcano Bay as I did on opening weekend, and it doesn't only have to be because of early entry or post-afternoon showers. The word "disaster" is getting thrown around way too much here.

Also, almost everyone has been claiming that the big fail was that this park didn't soft open, but I'm trying to remember real-life examples of this happening. How does a brand new park soft open? Do they not charge full admission regardless of all attractions up-and-running or elements being show-ready? Wondering what the difference is or if the failure was in CALLING it a grand opening.

While there is merit in your request, there's no way to get around the "negative vibe." I'm no proponent of either vibe. I'm sure my opinion will change when I visit on Wednesday but for now, I remain tired of both sides apologists. I understand where you're coming from, though.
We should totally have like a Hate Thread, where we all go to get super pissy! :lol:

It'd be like the message board equivalent of The Purge!

The you know what really grinds my gears? Thread.
grinds+my+gears.png

Reactions: Joel and Scott W.

I never would have thought that Tim wouldn't meet the new 200 weight max on the drop slides. Those slides must be turning away a lot of guys.
How does a brand new park soft open? Do they not charge full admission regardless of all attractions up-and-running or elements being show-ready? Wondering what the difference is or if the failure was in CALLING it a grand opening.
Yeah the failure was opening like they did, they set the expectation everything was ready to go for this premium park for full paying guests.

They could have soft opened a lot of ways. Ie, Pandora had preview softs days for cast members only and their guests. They had other days of Annual Passholders only. I think they also had DVC members only days also. Then they also just had the random days they let in regular guests.

Having softs set the expectation that it was a work in progress. That cast members were learning, that rides would go down and be unpredictable, that they were testing new systems. People know what they're getting into when attending a soft.

UO could have done softs for employees+guests and annual passholders without even charging anyone. They could have done it for Cabana bay guests. How they could have done it, isn't the issue. It's that they had no time in to do it. The park wasn't complete on opening day much less to do softs prior to opening day.