Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 99 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My friend rode it and he said it was pretty intense. There's jets at the top that push you away from the tube so you're pretty much in a free fall. He also said water gets in every hole on your face lol. I've been told it's more intense than summit plummet so I will not be riding that one
haha Summit plummit Ive ridden once, most terrifying experience Ive had on a water slide......

That said.....CANT WAIT TO TOP IT lol

It surpasses Disney's trees and rocks theming of Typhoon Lagoon already for me. There's twice as many details in this park already as Typhoon Lagoon. Seriously, do them both in the same week and you'll see what I mean.
I actually just did both of them in the same week. Typhoon Lagoon is much better themed. You might be able to argue that Volcano Bay has more decoration, but that's not the same thing as theming.

Here's the original concept art and description of Vol:
35367231432_7b2da8be0a_k.jpg

35147626980_79c9a48152_k.jpg

Anyone ride the Ko Okiri plunge yet? How is that? So excited, never rode a drop slide before glad its over 200...

My friend rode it and he said it was pretty intense. There's jets at the top that push you away from the tube so you're pretty much in a free fall. He also said water gets in every hole on your face lol. I've been told it's more intense than summit plummet so I will not be riding that one

haha Summit plummit Ive ridden once, most terrifying experience Ive had on a water slide......

That said.....CANT WAIT TO TOP IT lol

Summit = most terrifying !!!!! Well then prepare yourself for one hell of a ride. It is very fun but in a different way, where Summit you can see everything top to bottom and the anticipation builds from the visual effect and knowing what your up against.
Ko Okiri is different because it more of a mental overload.. You KNOW your way the hell up there just from the 20 thousand flights of stairs you climb, then you can see out the opening IT'S HIGH and you KNOW you will be closed up in that water filled tube but once you step into than coffin drop box your imagination will run away with you and all kinds of thoughts will come crashing in on you.... !!!!!! It is a Blast I loved it
come back and tell us all what you thought of it

Reactions: Porkchop
I'm curious, what exactly do you not like about Vol?

My opinion? Of course- take it for what it is because it might be better in person- an intracate AA is ideal, albeit unrealistic- but I would rather it be a carved rock face with eyes that light up when it talks. Fine with me. The projection thing just doesn't work IMO.
Also- can this be like mystic fountain and it's just automated right now? Because if it's not like mystic and you can't splash people, improvise, etc- then it's a real lost opportunity.

My opinion? Of course- take it for what it is because it might be better in person- an intracate AA is ideal, albeit unrealistic- but I would rather it be a carved rock face with eyes that light up when it talks. Fine with me. The projection thing just doesn't work IMO.
Also- can this be like mystic fountain and it's just automated right now? Because if it's not like mystic and you can't splash people, improvise, etc- then it's a real lost opportunity.
It is interactive and talks back to you apparently.

Vol in person is really cool. There's tons of water and smoke effects. What's cool in particular is that Vol won't just hang out there all the time, but instead disappear and reappear with lighting effects and sound.

My only gripe is the cavern is essentially a very large echo chamber, which makes Vol difficult to hear and understand at times.

Vol in person is really cool. There's tons of water and smoke effects. What's cool in particular is that Vol won't just hang out there all the time, but instead disappear and reappear with lighting effects and sound.

My only gripe is the cavern is essentially a very large echo chamber, which makes Vol difficult to hear and understand at times.
That's probably Vol's Waturi accent. Hard for us to understand sometimes. ;):lol::)

It is interactive and talks back to you apparently.
Ya- but they sound like canned responses and not an actor. If I'm wrong, then awesome. But if it isn't an actor- than that's a huge missed opportunity.
Mystic fountain in a water park with water jets galore and lighting and fog is a dream come true.
A fancy magic 8 ball with the same effects is still good but not nearly as good as a live actor.

Ya- but they sound like canned responses and not an actor. If I'm wrong, then awesome. But if it isn't an actor- than that's a huge missed opportunity.
Mystic fountain in a water park with water jets galore and lighting and fog is a dream come true.
A fancy magic 8 ball with the same effects is still good but not nearly as good as a live actor.
It is an actor. No doubt. Today I jokingly 'summoned' Vol and he appeared before me.

This is the first time Vol is actually interacting with guests. Like any performer, they are going to need a while to better understand and improve the character. Mind you, they have to work with the lore of a park that doesn't really do a great job telling its story to the guests in other places. They'll get there, I'm sure.

The Vol effect is cheap. Looks like something that belongs in Disney Quest, not at the heart of a 200ft menacing volcano. Now before you label me a hater or for those of you who are sick of my "negative posts", I do think that the volcano short cuts are a nice touch and that the caves at a very important element to the park that were missing on opening day. I'm just no so sure the millennium force rainbow lighting and the generic pop-up fountains really add much to this idea that VB is this cohesive water theme park experience.

I'd say that Typhoon Lagoon is better themed overall but the park is pretty boring outside of Crush 'n' Gusher and the wave pool. Universal wanted thrills. I honestly don't know how you can theme something like those raft slides (Hona, Puihi, etc) without sacrificing some thrill.

Reactions: Cheezbat
Completely disagree as well. Typhoon still tops the theming for Waterparks in Orlando. I'd label Volcano Bay a Water Thrill park with an amazing weenie, and bits of theming here and there. It is very hodge podge though, and too many frayed edges (so to speak).
I completely disagree, Typhoon lagoon is mostly Rocks, Trees and wooden shacks with painted signs. It benefits from a remote location. I'm sure if Universal had 20 miles of land they wouldn't have put VB next to the highway. But the detail is MILES ahead of Typhoon Lagoon in my opinion.

I completely disagree, Typhoon lagoon is mostly Rocks, Trees and wooden shacks with painted signs. It benefits from a remote location. I'm sure if Universal had 20 miles of land they wouldn't have put VB next to the highway. But the detail is MILES ahead of Typhoon Lagoon in my opinion.

I think your selling Typhoons theming intentionally short to fit your agenda, and that's fine. I have no bone in this race, I'm just basing it off of what I see.