Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm really surprised it isn't as i'd think the target audience for this is families - many with little kids. They chose the rides with the two highest height requirements in the park for Individual LL at DAK.

Although I guess that could be purposeful in the sense that the safari is a family experience and since everyone may not be tall enough or even want to go on Everest, the people that do can pay a little bit of money, maybe on a Christmas week type of day, to skip a long line and get back with the family in a timely manner. But then you are only getting maybe 2 or so out of a family of 4 to buy into this instead of the whole family so once again I don't see how it makes a ton of financial (key word) sense for it to not be KS.
There were definitely choices made to attempt to make the genie plus service work in general. There have to be good rides to pick or it won’t work. Like Slinky Dog is not ala carte!

Reactions: SeventyOne
If you break it down on a single night basis, HHN runs around $9+ per house for Express, bit more on busier nights. Can't call this "idiocy" when Universal had to double or triple its Express queue capacity this year.

Long lines are the #1 complaints among theme park guests. I can see an "in for a penny, in for a pound" mentality among casual guests--Mouse robbing you anyway, what's an extra $80 for a family of four who can afford WDW at that point?

Reactions: Nick
I hope guest uptake is slow. I also hope folks will be monitoring and reporting what this does to standby wait times, as I'd like to have some idea what to be prepared for before my trip next month.

I certainly don't plan to pay for either Genie+ or the individual purchase options.

Reactions: BigHouseFootball
If you break it down on a single night basis, HHN runs around $9+ per house for Express, bit more on busier nights. Can't call this "idiocy" when Universal had to double or triple its Express queue capacity this year.

Long lines are the #1 complaints among theme park guests. I can see an "in for a penny, in for a pound" mentality among casual guests--Mouse robbing you anyway, what's an extra $80 for a family of four who can afford WDW at that point?
No I get it and people will certainly pay for it, I just don't like it (not that i'll ever use it) :lol:

My biggest thing is that it'll once again make the lines longer on attractions I like, making it harder and harder to ride without waiting hours for RotR or paying (especially once all international tourism is back).

I’d rather all lines only be standby at both resorts.

If they’re going to offer line skip passes I’d rather them be for purchase to help keep the numbers of users lower.

And I’d prefer them be somewhat cost prohibitive to keep the effect on standby lines even lower.

So, to me, the more expensive Express or Lightning Lane, the better to be honest. As it’ll be the only way to help naturally regulate queues.

And I’d prefer them be somewhat cost prohibitive to keep the effect on standby lines even lower.

So, to me, the more expensive Express or Lightning Lane, the better to be honest. As it’ll be the only way to help naturally regulate queues.
Nailed this. This is one of the few times I actually wish Disney had priced something higher.

I’d rather all lines only be standby at both resorts.

If they’re going to offer line skip passes I’d rather them be for purchase to help keep the numbers of users lower.

Universal Express (non HHN) works so well because there's not so much available that it would negatively affect stand by lines. Hopefully the confusing complex
of Genie and Lightening, plus cost, will keep usage way lower than the Fastpass plus.

Reactions: tielo and belloq87
Universal Express (non HHN) works so well because there's not so much available that it would negatively affect stand by lines. Hopefully the confusing complex
of Genie and Lightening, plus cost, will keep usage way lower than the Fastpass plus.
Sadly I fear the opposite will happen. It’s confusing, and I’m afraid families will feel they HAVE to have it. Especially considering it will be available bundled with vacation packages and as an add on for multi day tickets.

There may be more people using it than even know how to use it.

Except Minions. EP tends to really hit the standby

my guess is this will be "automatically " included in a lot of package deals, and you'll see long waits regardless. What I'm most curious about is how many lightning passes they will be selling per time slot. From my experience most FP+ were gone by mid day. Assuming the same will happen with this system...making the ability to hit "multiple" rides with lightning less likely. So basically paying for a service that you won't be able to actually use to make the price even worth it.

my guess is this will be "automatically " included in a lot of package deals, and you'll see long waits regardless. What I'm most curious about is how many lightning passes they will be selling per time slot. From my experience most FP+ were gone by mid day. Assuming the same will happen with this system...making the ability to hit "multiple" rides with lightning less likely. So basically paying for a service that you won't be able to actually use to make the price even worth it.

You don't need Genie+ to buy a Lightning Lane pass. If you buy the latter, you are basically guaranteed to use it (barring a ride going 101 in which case I assume they have a make good policy). They will also be limiting the amount of Genie+ sold per day. No one doubts the Mouse wants to make money, but the best way to make money is by controlling lines, which this convoluted system is designed to achieve.

You don't need Genie+ to buy a Lightning Lane pass. If you buy the latter, you are basically guaranteed to use it (barring a ride going 101 in which case I assume they have a make good policy). They will also be limiting the amount of Genie+ sold per day. No one doubts the Mouse wants to make money, but the best way to make money is by controlling lines, which this convoluted system is designed to achieve.
They are apparently NOT limiting the number of Disney Genie+ that are sold each day. As they have PhotoPass bundled with it at DLR and AR photo opportunities in WDW, they can justify selling you a service later in the day, even after all the possible Lightning Lane reservations are gone, (or at least the good ones anyway).

If you attempt to go to Guest Services about it, as this person explained to me on Twitter regarding a similar situation with MaxPass, the model for this system, they may tell you, "you should've looked too see what was available before purchasing it." And going by screenshots for Disney Genie and Disney Genie+, you will be able to see what Lightning Lane reservations are available next before purchasing, as they appear in Disney Genie, the free service. You just can't select one until after you've paid.

EDIT: That isn't to say they won't be limiting the number of Lightning Lane reservations per day, of course they will, so your point still stands. I just found this fascinating.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Genie is going to be soooooo confusing to the general public that doesn't have a high tech type degree and goes to bed with their smartphone in hand........Put the Genie back in the bottle !!!..........

Reactions: belloq87