WGA & SAG Strike of 2023 | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

WGA & SAG Strike of 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know people need work

But I feel like the Drew Barrymore show.....just shouldn't be happening. It's linked to WGA and I just don't want more and more of these....exceptions being made and basically giving content while the real writers of this show (and what ever other show copied this) are striking

Reactions: Grabnar
Sounds more and more like this is going to be long, since the Studio's probably won't budge, and ugly the longer it lasts. Even big money stars like Billy Porter are having financial issues. He's putting his Pittsburgh house up for sale because he says he can't afford the payments. The little people will be really hurting very soon. This is a very sad situation for the workers/writers/actors.

Sounds more and more like this is going to be long, since the Studio's probably won't budge, and ugly the longer it lasts. Even big money stars like Billy Porter are having financial issues. He's putting his Pittsburgh house up for sale because he says he can't afford the payments. The little people will be really hurting very soon. This is a very sad situation for the workers/writers/actors.
The big money people aren’t necessarily having what I would call money issue’s because they have so much in assets.

What they are running into is that they are used to living on a certain amount of money which is why they can afford bigger houses, etc, but once work goes away for an extended period of time you no longer can live that lifestyle.

I know people need work

But I feel like the Drew Barrymore show.....just shouldn't be happening. It's linked to WGA and I just don't want more and more of these....exceptions being made and basically giving content while the real writers of this show (and what ever other show copied this) are striking
They’re hiring scabs or not using writers at all, they don’t have an exception.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Little guys have been hurting, unfortunately. IATSE is getting hammered. I know folks who've had to leave town or the industry altogether. If you can at all, consider donating to the ECF.

The one consolation is that for all the hurt that's been happening to the little guys, the big companies really seem panicked right now. Witness the spectacle of executives using Deadline, their biggest cheerleader among the trades, to trash each other, or Fox outright admitting that the strike needs to resolve by October 1 if they want a chance of bringing their biggest scripted shows back online. I truly don't think this'll go on for much longer. At the end of the day, these guys are competitors.

Then I'm very confused from the messaging I keep seeing they aren't breaking the rules by having the show go back on
Drew claims the show isn’t in violation because they’re not doing promos for struck shows/movies, and they’re not using WGA writers who are striking. The WGA says this is in violation because they have to have some form of writing for the show and that’s in violation of their strike.

I side with the WGA on this one, they’re either hiring scabs or aren’t using writers at all, neither of which are good.

Drew and Bill are both hack frauds.

Drew claims the show isn’t in violation because they’re not doing promos for struck shows/movies, and they’re not using WGA writers who are striking. The WGA says this is in violation because they have to have some form of writing for the show and that’s in violation of their strike.

I side with the WGA on this one, they’re either hiring scabs or aren’t using writers at all, neither of which are good.

Drew and Bill are both hack frauds.
I just saw Bill going back as well

No surprise there, he doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself

I hope this strike can end soon and the writers/actors come out on top without them we don't have films

Reactions: GA-MBIT
This is like if you did the opposite of what people are interested in for every design choice. It's truly impressive. This is Louis XVI levels of tone deaf lmao
That’s…. That’s kind of low. Right before the chance at negotiations next week. I hope this isn’t part of some bigger plan to cause a schism in the talks, but we all saw how the AMPTP is trying to spin things like a frickin tilt-a-whirl.