WGA & SAG Strike of 2023 | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

WGA & SAG Strike of 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Remember, a shocking majority of SAG members did not meet the threshold of $26,000 of earnings to trigger union insurance. Many writers are on food stamps. It's bad out there.
This legit blows my mind.

How are they not making $13/hr? I have to assume they are educated and have skills beyond writing. It’s definitely “for the love of the game” if they’ll tolerate that lack of pay when they could obviously make more elsewhere.

I guess I’m just bewildered they’d even do it. Obviously I’m glad they have that passion and wish they’d make more, it’s just crazy to me.

I pay my guys 30-35/hr for one of my businesses with paid vacay/sick/holiday and benefits and still have trouble filling it with competent people. And this is for a blue collar trade that doesn’t even require licensing.

This legit blows my mind.

How are they not making $13/hr? I have to assume they are educated and have skills beyond writing. It’s definitely “for the love of the game” if they’ll tolerate that lack of pay when they could obviously make more elsewhere.

I guess I’m just bewildered they’d even do it. Obviously I’m glad they have that passion and wish they’d make more, it’s just crazy to me.

I pay my guys 30-35/hr for one of my businesses with paid vacay/sick/holiday and benefits and still have trouble filling it with competent people. And this is for a blue collar trade that doesn’t even require licensing.
You can make a lot more than $13/hr and still net out to under $26k a year when your work isn’t a traditional “full time employment” role that doesn’t guarantee 40 hours a week. My understanding is a lot of Hollywood work is contract-based so nothing is guaranteed. But obviously, the promise of a more glamorous lifestyle makes it more worth it to people than traditional work.

The focus is (rightfully) on the studios but insane CoL in California can’t be helping either. 20 years ago, you could probably make an okay living doing side jobs with the movies and being a Starbucks barista on the side, but with a crummy job market, rising costs, etc. it brings to light just how implausible that lifestyle is.

Yes, tough to get full time work as an actor. Most only pick up a job here and there. Generally acting is just a second job for most.
Something I’ve always felt for actors. As a set lighting technician I work on far more projects per year than the average actor. Not because I’m in a better position than they are, but if a movie needs an electrician they can hire me… if I’m an actor, they won’t hire me unless I fit the role’s description and pass an audition. They are at the mercy of directors and casting directors, it’s not necessarily the “fairest” of playing fields, which is why so many “non-name” actors can barely afford to feed their families, and why the studios need to understand that this is not a fight against the actors (almost all of whom have their own production companies, or produce projects themselves) who can stay afloat even if the industry shut down. It’s about those who can’t even afford to live when the industry is busier than it ever has been in history, sans maybe the early days of the studio system

@Michael S, I'm with you on this.

I'm a WGA member. At the height of my writing career (staff writer) I did well financially but that didn't last long. Residuals kept me going for a while but unless one is in the top tier on a huge hit show those don't last. Like actors we are at the mercy of producers and show runners. As a freelancer I barely make the threshold to keep WGA insurance - many years I didn't.

The wisest move I made was joining the tech side. Like you, I get far more work than the average actor or writer.

I've been walking the picket lines as both a WGA member and as an IA supporter.

More proof the law only is for poor people

We little people must behave but the rich, get fines that are literally cents to them.

That fine means nothing, stepping in gum is more of an inconvenience
Yes, but Universal doing this, even if it only costs them a few cents to them, shows their true colors and lengths they are willing to go to in this fight. They knew they were breaking a law and would get fined and didn’t care because inconveniencing protesters had way more value to them. Says a lot.

Disney hates workers....my god

I never want to hear Iger say they care about cratives or CM....Disney just wants money (which is fine) but stop acting like you care about them

Reactions: Grabnar
Listen to Disney War, it's a really interesting look at how we got here from pretty early in Iger's career lol. Lots of antipathy towards actors even then
I'll grab it soon, I've heard its a great read before.

Yeah, Iger started at ABC so I guess it makes sense he dislikes actors and writers