What is it about Halloween Horror Nights? | Inside Universal Forums

What is it about Halloween Horror Nights?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 12, 2013
Hello everyone!

Since I have never attended Halloween Horror Nights (and thanks to my job I probably never will) I thought it would be fun to discuss Halloween Horror Nights in general. What do you like about HHN? What do you dislike about it? How could, in your opinion, HHN be improved?

If, however, you want to talk specifics, go ahead! What was your favorite year? What was your favorite house? What was your favorite character? But don't just tell us, tell us why! Why was that year so much better than the rest? Why was that one house so scary? Why did that one character leave such an imprint on you?

Let's talk! Someone else has to get the ball rolling, though. :smiley:

-Andy

I'm kind of a morbid person, so I like the creepy atmosphere, blood guts etc. Plus Halloween is my favorite holiday, so anything celebrating it is my thing. What I don't like are the sketchy crowds that seem more common at HHN than everyday park goers.

I've only been once back in 2005, HHN15. It's an experience you won't get at another theme park (yes others do HHN)

Was with my sister who had just got married that week so was a few of us went, best memory is sending sister in first screaming whenever anything moved. Being chased in the scare zones by chainsaws. Riding Hulk late at night.

Can't recall all the houses out the names, one sent in small groups one wearing a head torch leading the way sticks in my mind and the old lady in her rocking chair.

Great theming, great houses and if you like horror films it's pretty much like dropping yourself in there.

It's a completely adult experience at a theme park, which is rare (can't think of another example outside Howl-O-Scream). I'm with BriMan, there's much to be said for booze and scantily clad women. Fully immersive make-believe aimed with a grown-up sensibility.

Equally important, it takes a theme park I know like the back of my hand and, for a month and a half, transforms it into something somewhat new and different, with 9 new E-ticket attractions I've never seen before. It's rare I get the opportunity to go to a park for the first time, but I get a taste of that every September at HHN.

There's a lot for me to love about HHN. I'm a huge fan of horror in general, then you add on some of my favorite horror movies and haunted houses; I'm already sold. Having a mostly adults only (people really need to learn not to bring babies to HHN) park and some of the best views ever aren't too shabby either (Dueling Dragons view with fire streams from Marvel and only smoke below you).

One of my favorite experiences was also my first, we were walking down one of the alleys in 99, it was super quiet and there was only us and a group of 3 teenage girls giggling and carrying on walking towards us. Well also there was a giant man carrying a chainsaw behind them but they hadn't quite realized it yet. He got right up next to them and let it rip, suddenly the carefree girls started screaming, running around in circles, and into each other like you would see on a cartoon until one of them realized there was a nearby bathroom that they all bolted into. That was an awesome sight.

I agree with all points thus far.

For me, I'm a fan of the genre, but as someone who only comes once a year, it's nice to be able to experience 8 new attractions every visit.

Very cool, guys. I appreciate the response.

I, too, am a huge Halloween fan, so I can only imagine what it is like seeing Universal decked out for the holiday. I'm not a huge Christmas fan, but when my wife and I went during December for our honeymoon it very much put me in the Christmas spirit. I imagine HHN would be like Mecca.

I've tried watching videos of HHN houses, but they're usually so dark it's hard to tell what's going on. The best I've found are John Murdy's Behind the Screams videos for the Hollywood houses. Having said that, how is the set design and themeing in the Florida houses? I've heard lots of Florida vs. Hollywood talk in terms of budgets, intensity, etc., but I'm more curious about the Florida houses and it doesn't seem that there's too much information out there on them.

-Andy

Great thread idea!

I think that what everyone else has said so far definitely *adds* to Halloween Horror Nights' appeal, but nobody's really nailed what makes it super special. You can drink during the day at Universal, you can wander around at night during the summer, and there are plenty of times where the park is directed primarily to adults (Mardi Gras, for instance). I think the true thing that really makes Halloween Horror Nights pop is its ability to create a completely unique atmosphere. Yes, that includes drinks, girls, and rowdy adults...but it's also more. You lose the feeling that you're in a theme park aimed at the mass market where everything has to be "safe" and politically correct. That sort of tension and uneasiness, mixed with the logic in the back of your head assuring you that everything really is fine, is the perfect blend of fun and scares. When you mix all the fog, music, roaming actors, and impressive setpieces into a place that you know so well, it really kind of adds to a the nightmarish quality the event is going for. I think that's the real reason we love it so much--because of the thing you can't really pinpoint.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere and nightmare vibe of turning your favorite place into a weird, scary, unknown territory, has really been lost in recent years. Gone are the elaborate scarezones. The Walking Dead has stolen a lot of the event's great creative aspects. Really, the details that most guests don't notice are what add to the overarching whole that everyone loves so much, and with the new corporate mentality a lot of that has been lost. I still have hope that they'll bring it back, but nothing beats the earlier years where Creative just went all out transforming the park. While there are plenty of other haunted attractions around the country, none went through the same transformation as Universal used to for HHN.

Great thread idea!

I think that what everyone else has said so far definitely *adds* to Halloween Horror Nights' appeal, but nobody's really nailed what makes it super special. You can drink during the day at Universal, you can wander around at night during the summer, and there are plenty of times where the park is directed primarily to adults (Mardi Gras, for instance). I think the true thing that really makes Halloween Horror Nights pop is its ability to create a completely unique atmosphere. Yes, that includes drinks, girls, and rowdy adults...but it's also more. You lose the feeling that you're in a theme park aimed at the mass market where everything has to be "safe" and politically correct. That sort of tension and uneasiness, mixed with the logic in the back of your head assuring you that everything really is fine, is the perfect blend of fun and scares. When you mix all the fog, music, roaming actors, and impressive setpieces into a place that you know so well, it really kind of adds to a the nightmarish quality the event is going for. I think that's the real reason we love it so much--because of the thing you can't really pinpoint.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere and nightmare vibe of turning your favorite place into a weird, scary, unknown territory, has really been lost in recent years. Gone are the elaborate scarezones. The Walking Dead has stolen a lot of the event's great creative aspects. Really, the details that most guests don't notice are what add to the overarching whole that everyone loves so much, and with the new corporate mentality a lot of that has been lost. I still have hope that they'll bring it back, but nothing beats the earlier years where Creative just went all out transforming the park. While there are plenty of other haunted attractions around the country, none went through the same transformation as Universal used to for HHN.

That brings up a good point. In terms of music, what do you guys prefer when walking around the park: creepy, atmospheric music (Midnight Syndicate, scores) or horror themed rock (The Beautiful People, Dream Warriors)? Which do you think adds more to the overall feel?

-Andy

That brings up a good point. In terms of music, what do you guys prefer when walking around the park: creepy, atmospheric music (Midnight Syndicate, scores) or horror themed rock (The Beautiful People, Dream Warriors)? Which do you think adds more to the overall feel?

-Andy

I think every zone is different..I perfer the more quiet areas, like lagoon and World Expo area to be more atmospheric quiet music (Book of Eli, Midnight Synd, etc)...while zones have more driving horror music...and depending on the zone, rock and electronic music.

My favorite music at HHN has got to be when they did 7. The way they handled Beautiful People was absolutely perfect with the theme of that area.

Worst music by a mile has to be what they did last year, I still have flashbacks anytime I watch the Walking Dead.

I overall find it to be really enjoyable.
I love walking around with a beer in my hand, watching people get scared.
That's what I enjoy about HHN, even if it's crowded and I can't enjoy the houses as much I can still sit around have a beer, and enjoy the scares.

In my honest opinion, if you want a less rushed night, where you'll get to see all the houses, and not be bombarded with the party atmosphere go to Howl-O-Scream. It's as successful as it is for a reason.

So, it seems overall atmosphere is what most of you appreciate most at HHN. Good to know!

Howl-O-Scream is one I'd like to see someday, as well.

-Andy

I love Halloween, and I'm a huge fan of the horror genre. Although I've been to Universal a zillion times, I've never experienced HHN. I'm visiting in October and will get to experience it for the first time. I can't wait!

I tend to have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with HHN as of lately, I really love October because I get to go to Universal and i love the houses and the streets and the costumes and the music etc. But then lately it has getting disappointing in some aspects and some stuff just makes me sad.
As a horror and fantasy fan HHN is pretty amazing. It's like Universal gets transformed into a dark fantasy horror park. I guess the size and scope of the event is what I love compared to other events.

As for what I love, HHN is pretty much the only event in Orlando, (I know there are other haunts around but nothing in this size) If it wasn't for HHN October would be pretty boring here in Orlando.
I love that we get 8 houses so no matter where you are in the park there will be a house nearby you can visit. the variety is really awesome and they don't repeat houses every year so it is always new. But what I love most of all is the costumes and the scarezones. For me the scarezones are what makes this better than other haunts. the lighting, the props, the music etc...

So that is what starts to disappoint me as of lately, scarezones which are what kind of sets the event apart, have been taking a back seat lately. the park lately has not been as cool as it used to in that sense. Same with the music in the park too. Last year had some really great houses but the streets were cringeworthy.

It seems no one was pleased with last year's The Walking Dead scarezones. I'm not a zombie fan myself, nor a Walking Dead fan, so I have to admit that even though I desperately want to attend HHN I wouldn't have gone last year simply for that reason.

Awesome, pinkfrost! Enjoy yourself!

-Andy

The scarezones last year were better than the previous year without a doubt.

They did have some issues though:
The survivors being turned and zombies overwhelming the streets as the event went on wasn't incredibly apparent, it likely looked spectacular on paper but the execution would be difficult at best.
Some of the better scarezones turned into photo ops. The barn, walker eating the deer, crawling torso, and even the barn became nothing more than a train of people posing and taking pictures.

I'm all for people taking pictures but when they have to move scenery and lose effects because the rubbernecking gets so bad, something needs to change. Be it the mindset of the visitors or the policies of HHN.