What new shopping would you like to see in CW? | Inside Universal Forums

What new shopping would you like to see in CW?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
In another thread we got off onto the DtD vs. CW discussion and pretty much everyone agreed that DtD wins in the shopping catagory.

I personally don't shop at either place. And other than souvineers and collectibles, what you would shop for while going to or vacationing at a theme park resort?

If I was on Holiday from England I may be tempted into springing for some resort wear at Tommy Bahamas' or picking up some fancy bath supplies at Basin to use back in the hotel. But that's about it.

So my question is, what other types of stores would you like to see in CW. I particularly want to hear from non locals.

Last edited:
I, like yourself, am really only interested in the theme park merch/collectible stuff. If I were to put one in, I dunno....Build-a-Bear? But instead of the usual clothing fare, you get to dress them up in a variety of Universal themed clothes. Imagine building a teddy bear in the likes of Harry Potter or Doc Brown to give to your kids or loved ones. That seems like it would do well.

One thing I feel they need to improve on is their Universal Store. It has such a grand entrance, yet you walk into a small shop.

A few ideas for some stores that would really get me to spend some money in CityWalk:

A Universal 100 store, which would sell vintage tees and memorabilia based on Universal properties (like Kong, E.T., Jaws, Back to the Future, etc.) as well as their attractions, collectibles, Blu-rays, a movie poster gallery where you can purchase and print out Universal movie posters and art in a matter of minutes, and more.

As for Apparel, it'd be cool to have some stores that haven't made their way over to the rest of the country just yet like a Topshop or Uniqlo, or a Y-3 store. A new kind of Apple express concept store would be cool too.

Also, not exactly shopping but I absolutely loved the karaoke lounges in Japan where you rent a karaoke room by the hour. SO MUCH FUN and I'd love to see that come to CityWalk.

Well they do have Rising Star... :lol:

I would never get up in front of all those people. :lol: Now a modernly appointed room for just me and my friends with flat screens, decent sound, and a drinks and tapas menu, yes please.

Is there an Art Gallery in CW that caters to Universal Studios? I see them on Disney Property, like Epcot, but have never really noticed anything in the Universal Resort area. Collectible art is huge, especially screen prints. Having a little art shop where they get local and national artists to create prints of classic and current attractions, characters and Universal films would be awesome.

I don't always buy things at DtD, but I at least find myself walking through almost all of them. The Ghiraeli store, the Art of Disney, the Lego Store, and the Christmas store are all places I find nice to walk around. I don't ever go in CityWalk stores unless I'm taking a shortcut. I also agree with BriMan about the Universal store being so small.

I feel there is a higher ratio of food to shops at CW, and I think that needs to be addressed. Also a problem is that damn tattoo parlor that seems to exist for no reason.

If I was in charge I'd change over that whole stepped walkway between NASCAR and the movie theater with unique, boutique shops, in the vein of D Street, Bason, and such. Put some live bands in there and turn it into a mini DLR DtD style place. The main drag can still have their restaurants and move people through en mass, and the other side can be focused on the bars/clubs.

One thing I feel they need to improve on is their Universal Store. It has such a grand entrance, yet you walk into a small shop.

That sign gets me every time, like I'm in a trance or something. :lol: Like I somehow forget that the shop itself is so mediocre.

I love the Art store idea someone brought up here. Expanding on a larger Universal options with an Art of Universal as a part of a choice would be awesome. Kiosks for shirts and posters to slap the movie or cinematic history art right onto it.

Also a unique spin on a record store would be a neat touch. With Universal Music Group having such a huge library it would be neat to see what they could come up with.

I would really love an NBC store. There are too many great comedies going unrepresented and a lot of missed opportunities to promote shows and sell their merchandise. As mentioned, a better Universal Store and art store. I also agree a cool record store would be a nice addition to capitalize on DtD's lack of Virgin. I wouldn't mind an exhibit of some sort; maybe a prop warehouse or small museum with props, wardrobe, and memorabilia from Universal/NBC productions. Even if it's something as miniscule as Sid's at DHS. I would also like a nice concert venue like HoB.

I would really love an NBC store. There are too many great comedies going unrepresented and a lot of missed opportunities to promote shows and sell their merchandise. As mentioned, a better Universal Store and art store. I also agree a cool record store would be a nice addition to capitalize on DtD's lack of Virgin. I wouldn't mind an exhibit of some sort; maybe a prop warehouse or small museum with props, wardrobe, and memorabilia from Universal/NBC productions. Even if it's something as miniscule as Sid's at DHS. I would also like a nice concert venue like HoB.

I like the idea of the NBC store. I really like the one in New York and I did see that cart in CityWalk selling SNL merch in CityWalk this weekend that I never noticed before.

Any Community merchandise would be hell on my wallet. :lol:

The NBC store in New York was pretty neat when I was there. Of course, that's when it had the part where you could drive Conan's desk. Stupid Leno. :mean:

Ok so from what people have said some of these ideas rock.

1. High End Universal Art Store
2. NBC Store
3. A Universal T-Shirt store where you can print any TV or Movie poaster onto your shirt of choice
4. A Unique Build-a-Bear store with outfits ONLY available at USF
5. Universal Music Store

All of those options would get me to at least explore the stores at CW

The Art of Universal type gallery store is one that I was thinking when I started the thread. But I am not sure that there is much Universal Art. If not, commission 30 artist of various media and let them make some.

Another is a Universal Prop Shop. Where you can get a spare Flux Capacitor or a Bates Motel bath robe.

I also think an NBC Store would be cool. I like the one in the Rock in NYC.

I would also think a Lush (similar to Basin) would be nice for those staying at the resort.

Oh, and regarding the music store, how about the flagship iTunes Store. Where they load your purchases right onto your Phone/mp3 player etc.

Last edited:
The Art of Universal type gallery store is one that I was thinking when I started the thread. But I am not sure that there is much Universal Art. If not, commission 30 artist of various media and let them make some.

Another is a Universal Prop Shop. Where you can get a spare Flux Capacitor or a Bates Motel bath robe.

I also think an NBC Store would be cool. I like the one in the Rock in NYC.

I would also think a Lush (similar to Basin) would be nice for those staying at the resort.

Oh, and regarding the music store, how about the flagship iTunes Store. Where they load your purchases right onto your Phone/mp3 player etc.

We must be on similar wavelengths because when typing that I was thinking of a Universal store with more prop replicas and novelties. With the music store I too was thinking of some kind of mp3 instant store. A modern day take on a record store where one could find universal music group pushed music where they can pay for the songs instantly for their devices.

We must be on similar wavelengths because when typing that I was thinking of a Universal store with more prop replicas and novelties. With the music store I too was thinking of some kind of mp3 instant store. A modern day take on a record store where one could find universal music group pushed music where they can pay for the songs instantly for their devices.

Yup. Complete with listening stations.