General Movies & TV Thread | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
KINGDOM had a relatively "low" budget for a big science fiction film at $130 million*, which is what it just opened to worldwide for its first weekend. I think the movie will turn a profit, and if they can keep the budget in that same area, I think there will be a sequel.

*It's really remarkable they were able to make the movie for that amount, not just because the apes look so incredibly realistic... but also because I've seen movies that cost twice as much that look half as good.
No doubt it was a good budget.....but....I feel like Disney wants hit like huge hits that people are talking about.

We will see where this goes but feels like the most mixed reviews for this new series of ape films.

I hope the next one, is just set up and 2 hour or under and just can get into it.

I feel like Disney wants hit like huge hits that people are talking about.
That may prove to be an outdated expectation in the post-pandemic landscape. Not everything they put out can gross a billion dollars anymore (like in 2019).

I think there's value in having a fairly well-respected franchise like APES continuing to deliver solid movies, even if they don't set the box office on fire, and hopefully Disney sees it that way.

That may prove to be an outdated expectation in the post-pandemic landscape. Not everything they put out can gross a billion dollars anymore (like in 2019).

I think there's value in having a fairly well-respected franchise like APES continuing to deliver solid movies, even if they don't set the box office on fire, and hopefully Disney sees it that way.
I hope your right but with rumors or like a few more sequels for Pixar films like Nemo 3....Feels like they are just after money and don't care about if they can make a little money on something but....fingers crossed because I want this series to get up to the 9 movies they have kinda planned out

Saw Challengers on Monday, and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since. Incredible, challenging film about tennis and relationships. The cinematography, score, editing, and acting are on another level. Don’t expect any three-ways or non-stop sex (the most I remember seeing from our leads is heavy making out and messing around). That said, the film itself is incredibly hot and sexy. It’s a wild, intense ride. It’s part intense relationship drama and part tennis/sports film. I’d HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. The final few seconds are TO DIE FOR!!!

A couple quick hits:

The Veil (FX, so DIsney+/Hulu): modern-day spy thriller from Stephen Knight (Peaky Blinders, Taboo). Has the look of one of his shows even though it's present day, beautifully shot on location in Paris. Cast is good, plot has some nice turns, let's episodes feel complete yet end on a cliffhanger. One or two episodes left but hoping it sticks the landing, but very good so far.

Franklin (Apple): Michael Douglas is great as an older Ben Franklin. Show itself on the slow side but interesting enough if you're a history buff. If you're not, probably going to find it too much of a slog.

Reactions: belloq87
Watched Last Stop in Yuma County last night to get a feel for Francis Galluppi, the writer, director and editor who will be directing one of the two Evil Dead films next in production. What a great film; a total throwback akin to a Pulp Fiction. Tremendous cast, wonderfully written, great wit and comedic timing, so tension filled you could string it together and slice through a human neck. If you're a fan of ensemble films or the Tarantino-esque style in general (a little less overtly flair-y dialogue in Last Stop but that's not a knock) I would definitely check it out, will probably be one of my favorites of the year.

I'm so excited to see him get to do an Evil Dead film. The tension, atmosphere and even cinematography all lend itself pretty damn well to an Evil Dead entry. If he maintains the style he showcased in Yuma, it might be the closest we get to Tarantino doing full horror.

Saw garfield and If
Yeah....they were one and done films for me

Like Hollywood is confused why it had the lowest weekend? It's because these films are not must see and even if they are liked like Fall Guy its on streaming in a month

I'm looking at the Summer Line up...maybe Twisters is a big hit but not sure outside of Inside out, DE4 and Dead Pool what will really make money

Saw garfield and If
Yeah....they were one and done films for me

Like Hollywood is confused why it had the lowest weekend? It's because these films are not must see and even if they are liked like Fall Guy its on streaming in a month

I'm looking at the Summer Line up...maybe Twisters is a big hit but not sure outside of Inside out, DE4 and Dead Pool what will really make money

theater experience is so awful sometimes, zero manners, phones out in full brightness, loud talking....
almost on every single time i went, it was bad. now i wait until the last weeks of screenings. plus gasoline and food are so expensive,
and movies kinda suck now

Reactions: Grabnar and Legacy
theater experience is so awful sometimes, zero manners, phones out in full brightness, loud talking....
almost on every single time i went, it was bad. now i wait until the last weeks of screenings. plus gasoline and food are so expensive,
and movies kinda suck now
Yes, the only reason I can go is AMC A list and living near AMC's

If not, I'd go very rarely

Reactions: SeventyOne
I love theaters and ADORE the movie-going experience, so it KILLS me to say this, but I'd be ok with most theaters shutting down. The ones I go to seem unable, unwilling, or uninterested in enforcing regular theater policies and it really ruins the overall experience. Some examples: People who leave their cell phones on or actively scroll through them while the film is playing, others who are loudly talking to each other or over-reacting (LOUDLY) to scenes. I think we should maybe only have one big theater in every town where they strictly enforce the rules and have Ushers patrolling the theaters every 30 minutes or so. These theaters would only show the big tentpoles or blockbusters, so in other words...only open for the "special" movies. All other films go straight-to-streaming. Another option is theaters drastically raise prices for the smaller films and keep prices at the regular rate for the "special" movies. This might help to discourage the more rowdy folk from attending and would also make auditoriums less crowded and so less chance of disturbances from fellow audience members (In this scenario, Ushers would still be needed to patrol auditoriums frequently). I'll re-state that I adore the communal experience theaters can give us (the type of experience where the audience is perfectly in-sync and on the same wave-length, reacting in unison to specific scenes. Recent examples for me would be Get Out, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Talk To Me, Barbarian, Saltburn, and All of Us Strangers), but it seems I get that type of experience less and less frequently these days.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I love theaters and ADORE the movie-going experience, so it KILLS me to say this, but I'd be ok with most theaters shutting down. The ones I go to seem unable, unwilling, or uninterested in enforcing regular theater policies and it really ruins the overall experience. Some examples: People who leave their cell phones on or actively scroll through them while the film is playing, others who are loudly talking to each other or over-reacting (LOUDLY) to scenes. I think we should maybe only have one big theater in every town where they strictly enforce the rules and have Ushers patrolling the theaters every 30 minutes or so. These theaters would only show the big tentpoles or blockbusters, so in other words...only open for the "special" movies. All other films go straight-to-streaming. Another option is theaters drastically raise prices for the smaller films and keep prices at the regular rate for the "special" movies. This might help to discourage the more rowdy folk from attending and would also make auditoriums less crowded and so less chance of disturbances from fellow audience members (In this scenario, Ushers would still be needed to patrol auditoriums frequently). I'll re-state that I adore the communal experience theaters can give us (the type of experience where the audience is perfectly in-sync and on the same wave-length, reacting in unison to specific scenes. Recent examples for me would be Get Out, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Talk To Me, Barbarian, Saltburn, and All of Us Strangers), but it seems I get that type of experience less and less frequently these days.

theater experience is so amazing, i have dreams about it. ive had dreams about being in the theater, its truly magnificent.
a real world wonder, (no sarcasm) a good movie at the theater is truly magnificent experience. (i remember watching the matrix reloaded and alita battle angel like 15 times each because of the fights and visuals.)
but the experience now its awful, annoying, makes you mad, ruins your day (rob zombies halloween came out 2 decades ago and im still freaking angry lol, traumatized for life by that experience....pacific rim 2... awful theater experience...)

no thank you to all of that.
theaters are basically ending and covid trained people to avoid them, it trained you to enjoy movies at home, comfort, made you appreciate home.
but theaters need to evolve, just like they evolved from drive ins, theaters need to become dining experiences like enzian or alamo draft house. basically become full restaurants with ushers and waiters, completely ban cellphone use. strict guidelines,
change the sitting format

or make theaters much much smaller. half the seating size,

Reactions: Cwoolboy
theaters are basically ending and covid trained people to avoid them, it trained you to enjoy movies at home, comfort, made you appreciate home.
I think we've also become much less patient when it comes to run of the mill annoyances caused by other humans. I don't want to see the glow of someone's cell phone during a movie, but going and seeing a movie with an audience of strangers is special. public viewing is an essential part of the movie going experience, the same as it is for sports, concerts, whatever.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I’m still pissed that Alamo Draft House canceled the theater next to Cheesecake Factory off Daryl Carter Parkway. I miss a good theater where people don’t have phones and don’t talk through movies.

In Philadelphia we used to have the Ritz Theaters which were great art houses that didn’t allow children and the popcorn was always fresh and had REAL butter! I used to be a projectionist, so I became something of a film snob, and I appreciated a theater where films were respected by the theater and the patrons.

I think it also depends where you are

The AMC's I go do I rarely have issues besides Five Nights at Feddys....I've just not had not too many issues watching Films, at AMC's and been using them since the Movie pass days

Also if prices of snacks is you issue....sneak stuff in or go on reddit and be on the look out for coupons...they have a 5 dollar soda/popcorn combo at AMC that is good through the summer