Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's just surrounded by public area on all 4 sides. Most show buildings tend to have only service road behind them, so they build a large facade in the front to make it look good. So when a guest can see every corner it gets difficult concealing the entire thing without seeing a large glacier next to a bunch of sea lions. The construction pics just don't show it because no one is really interested in a blank building, it's the new themed stuff like the rock work people want to see. It's the same argument as Transformers or the side of the FJ show building from JP really.

P.S. not disagreeing with people, it does look odd, just stating why it becomes a problem, at least in my opinion.

It's not really a problem as far as they are concerned. Parks with such immersive themes are designed around focal points. The average guest doesn't see (or care about) being able to see the Antarctica or Forbidden Journey show buildings unthemed. They may notice a building but don't necessarily know what it is, and more importantly don't pay it much attention as their attention is drawn elsewhere. In Jurassic park most guests who are actually looking around and taking it all in are enjoying the foliage and discover center ahead (because they really are in Jurassic park) not paying attention to what is on the other side of the trees.

They don't care that transformers, mummy, spider-man, cat in the hat, journey to atlantis, small world, peter pan, haunted mansion (from the right viewpoint), mission space, soarin, and so many more rides are clearly in the large unthemed buildings behind the themed front. Their attention is drawn to the points that the designers intended.

It's not really a problem as far as they are concerned. Parks with such immersive themes are designed around focal points. The average guest doesn't see (or care about) being able to see the Antarctica or Forbidden Journey show buildings unthemed. They may notice a building but don't necessarily know what it is, and more importantly don't pay it much attention as their attention is drawn elsewhere. In Jurassic park most guests who are actually looking around and taking it all in are enjoying the foliage and discover center ahead (because they really are in Jurassic park) not paying attention to what is on the other side of the trees.

They don't care that transformers, mummy, spider-man, cat in the hat, journey to atlantis, small world, peter pan, haunted mansion (from the right viewpoint), mission space, soarin, and so many more rides are clearly in the large unthemed buildings behind the themed front. Their attention is drawn to the points that the designers intended.

I completely agree with you but word to the wise, don't bring this up in the Potter phase 1 or Transformers thread. You will be labeled the anti Christ from all critics :lol:

I completely agree with you but word to the wise, don't bring this up in the Potter phase 1 or Transformers thread. You will be labeled the anti Christ from all critics :lol:

Oh I know, I'll derail the conversion for at least 3 pages. I find the way they direct peoples attention is an art, and enjoy it just as much as I enjoy the theming.

Crucify Nitro and his blasphemous ways!! :fist: Kidding, kidding... :lol:

I actually don't have as much of an issue with the show building here as opposed to FJ, et al., because this has the excuse that it could be a facility in Antarctica. For FJ, there shouldn't be a building coming out of a mountain, but ice and snow could realistically accumulate around a building in Antarctica. And that's what I think theme parks try to achieve: make their fantasy lands look and feel as realistic as possible. So it's fine here, IMO. :thumbs:

Burn him at the stake!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

This being SeaWorld's most themed attraction to date, I don't think a little show building will affect the overall experience that drastically, if at all. I sometimes get a sense that people nitpick the littlest and sillyist of things on these boards. While somethings deserved to be pointed out, others can just be overlooked.

Couldn't agree anymore, I sometimes think this forum does go overboard with aspects like this (don't burn me at the stake :lol:) but on the otherhand if the forum didn't we wouldn't get the great construction updates that we do, i'm sure the average joe doesn't give a hoot about steel frames and stuff in the expansion in UOR.

I personally don't believe this attraction is going to be as great as SeaWorld says it is. They aren't releasing enough information about it. And they always over promise in their marketing of new attractions. For example Turtle Trek, Jungala.

I like Jungala too. But their advertising of it had me thinking it would feel like you were in a jungle. But you just don't. Compared to the foliage of Myombe Reserve and JP, I think they could have done a little more with the area.

And with Antarctica, the only think they keep advertising is that one scene. I know you cant give much else away but I feel like they are again over promising.

I'll agree with the lack of Jungle foliage :thumbs:

Latest "Behind the Freeze" Video released:

SeaWorld Creative Director Brian Morrow takes you on an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at how SeaWorld Orlando’s new attraction -- Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin – is shaping up … literally! In this Behind The Freeze video, find out how our design teams are creating a frozen realm in sunny Orlando and telling an incredible story of adventure through the eyes of a special penguin hero named Puck.

I like Jungala too. But their advertising of it had me thinking it would feel like you were in a jungle. But you just don't. Compared to the foliage of Myombe Reserve and JP, I think they could have done a little more with the area.

And with Antarctica, the only think they keep advertising is that one scene. I know you cant give much else away but I feel like they are again over promising.

This is a little off topic, or very off topic actually, but I LOVE Myombe Reserve. It is by far my favorite area in ANY theme park (well except for WWoHP). It's so incredibly beautiful. And I have to be in the super minority on this one, but just the fact that it's such an incredibly well decorated area just chilling in a place most people don't even know about makes me absolutely love it. I've gotten to relax there a few times, and when I do it helps me get through the day. And I wish I could show all the guests how to truly appreciate the area as a lot of them just speed through instead of taking in every tiny detail of the area. The only reason WWoHP beats it in my mind is because of how well they recreated an incredible area in such a huge series, but I love it none the less.

This is a little off topic, or very off topic actually, but I LOVE Myombe Reserve. It is by far my favorite area in ANY theme park (well except for WWoHP). It's so incredibly beautiful. And I have to be in the super minority on this one, but just the fact that it's such an incredibly well decorated area just chilling in a place most people don't even know about makes me absolutely love it. I've gotten to relax there a few times, and when I do it helps me get through the day. And I wish I could show all the guests how to truly appreciate the area as a lot of them just speed through instead of taking in every tiny detail of the area. The only reason WWoHP beats it in my mind is because of how well they recreated an incredible area in such a huge series, but I love it none the less.

That is a great area.

Again off topic but I love Turtle Trek, I find it visually stunning and a very unique experience different to what is on offer at Orlando. (Please don't come at me saying blah 3d-dark rides blah) :lol:

We watched Turtle Trek for the first time last weekend and thought it was pretty cool and better than what used to be there. The kids did get scared however so we had to leave 3/4 of the way through the show

Turtle Trek is of great quality for the type of venue it is. It feels like an attraction like EPCOT used to offer. Soundtrack and all.