Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Are Shows Universal?

This will never happen, but if it did I would not be complaining: Bring Beetlejuice back in the spotlight by having a mini-version of the broadway show take over Blue Man Group.

This will never happen, but if it did I would not be complaining: Bring Beetlejuice back in the spotlight by having a mini-version of the broadway show take over Blue Man Group.
So apparently, BMG already has a replacement show going in. Should be opening sometime next year. I know it's for sure happening, but it's a closely guarded secret as to what the show will be...(my source knows but won't divulge any more info than what I just shared.)

So apparently, BMG already has a replacement show going in. Should be opening sometime next year. I know it's for sure happening, but it's a closely guarded secret as to what the show will be...(my source knows but won't divulge any more info than what I just shared.)
My only guesses are Sing, Special Effects show, or the HTTYD Show but that feels unlikely, assuming this is true.

so looking at the affiliated Cirque companies, this one caught my attention: VStar Entertainment | Production Services Company

Other than the option above, what show could possibly go here? I’m truly not sure what the theatre can hold. We know not a Wicked style production, but Spongebob? Not sure. A family show makes sense to me as they’re trying to appeal to more families as we approach EU. Having a Broadway musical on property would help hotel stays I’d think.

Who owns the theater? I know Nickelodeon owned the soundstage when they were using it for their studios and then sold it back to Universal when they left. Did BMG buy it or were they leasing it? Does Cirque still hold the ownership or the lease after their bankruptcy? I have a strong feeling that Cirque is out at UOR.

Who owns the theater? I know Nickelodeon owned the soundstage when they were using it for their studios and then sold it back to Universal when they left. Did BMG buy it or were they leasing it? Does Cirque still hold the ownership or the lease after their bankruptcy? I have a strong feeling that Cirque is out at UOR.

It's owned by Universal productions if i'm not mistaken. Cirque was a restructuring bankruptcy not a "we lost all our assets" bankruptcy.

It's owned by Universal productions if i'm not mistaken. Cirque was a restructuring bankruptcy not a "we lost all our assets" bankruptcy.

Sure. I was thinking of a parallel with Six Flags where they used bankruptcy to cut leases and break contracts. Six Flags officially abandoned New Orleans and Kentucky Kingdom in their bankrupty.

Other than the option above, what show could possibly go here? I’m truly not sure what the theatre can hold. We know not a Wicked style production, but Spongebob? Not sure. A family show makes sense to me as they’re trying to appeal to more families as we approach EU. Having a Broadway musical on property would help hotel stays I’d think.
*looks at Vegas*

Any sort of “residency” could fit without much change to the venue. BMG is a variation of a concert, after all. It could also house magicians or turn into a “comedy club” or sorts (though I doubt that would happen).

But like, could you imagine if the Pentatonix did a residency at Universal?

But like, could you imagine if the Pentatonix did a residency at Universal?

No. Why pay for Pentatonix when they would just license a group based off their own acapella series...Pitch Perfect?

In reality, the easiest Universal owned musical they can do is Billy Elliot: The musical. Its family friendly, they can use local kid talent and it has a positive message. It also won't affect Wicked touring sales.

Last edited:
No. Why pay for Pentatonix when they would just license a group based off their own acapella series...Pitch Perfect?

In reality, the easiest Universal owned musical they can do is Billy Elliot: The musical. Its family friendly, they can use local kid talent and it has a positive message. It also won't affect Wicked touring sales.
I don’t think Billy Elliot would be much of a draw. Neither would a Pitch Perfect up-charge that doesn’t feature the “real” Barton Bellas (Though I like the idea).

And there’s a simple reason it’ll stay separate from the park: it provides resort guests something to do at night.

That means it needs to be family-friendly AND independently attractive. It would actually be more profitable to license a musical Universal doesn’t own than an unattractive one they do.

Although, I think it would be fun if they used it as an out-of-town “try-out” space for in-development musicals like Ferris Bueller.

if it were I, I would run Evil Dead the Musical in Sept and OCT as an upcharge -- I would think it is an easy production, it is not family friendly, but neither are the studios at night during those months.