Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Are Shows Universal?

...which is why you'd put in something family-friendly for those not visiting HHN?

I did not say it was a good plan, just what I would do to get some $$ for a couple of months. I was thinking of the crowd, bit I doubt they want to give up 2 to 3 hours unless it is an early show.

Really, outside of Tenacious D tours, I have never encountered such a small production -- I know they exists just as Blue Man Group does -- I was just thinking light weight/low cost.

I also wonder what % of on site guest are there for HHN (I think a lot underestimate that #) as I have stayed for HHN in the past and felt like I ran into many like minded.

Pretty sure I recall nights at CBBR, getting off the shuttle, entering the building to see they had a crap ton of pizza boxes and a cash register to greet the hunger kids at 2AM ;-)

I did not say it was a good plan, just what I would do to get some $$ for a couple of months. I was thinking of the crowd, bit I doubt they want to give up 2 to 3 hours unless it is an early show.

Really, outside of Tenacious D tours, I have never encountered such a small production -- I know they exists just as Blue Man Group does -- I was just thinking light weight/low cost.

I also wonder what % of on site guest are there for HHN (I think a lot underestimate that #) as I have stayed for HHN in the past and felt like I ran into many like minded.

Pretty sure I recall nights at CBBR, getting off the shuttle, entering the building to see they had a crap ton of pizza boxes and a cash register to greet the hunger kids at 2AM ;-)

The cost associated with the production probably wouldn't equal the ROI they would want.

Just so you know Blue Man Group was rather cheap monetarily. The band for the show was local whereas the 9 man cast (rotating) of the show relocated. So the small cast made it beneficial for licensing out a show and their cut of the proceeds.

Compared to a full fledged musical, that's at least typically 20 people likely equity actors for a two month musical is ridiculous.

I don’t think Billy Elliot would be much of a draw. Neither would a Pitch Perfect up-charge that doesn’t feature the “real” Barton Bellas (Though I like the idea).

And there’s a simple reason it’ll stay separate from the park: it provides resort guests something to do at night.

That means it needs to be family-friendly AND independently attractive. It would actually be more profitable to license a musical Universal doesn’t own than an unattractive one they do.

Although, I think it would be fun if they used it as an out-of-town “try-out” space for in-development musicals like Ferris Bueller.

The issue will having the talent move to Orlando...most in development musicals goal are to move to Broadway with some of the cast who did the off Broadway shows. The three main locations for shows in development are So Cal, NJ, and NY due to talent willing to be in those locations.

Additionally, the question of cost comes into play, they test out a musical and it flops like Breakfast Club the musical/Cry Baby/etc, what do they do....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Perfectly sized venue for it, maybe the national tour (whenever it happens) will be popular enough to justify it?

Beetlejuice hasn't been released yet for outside licensing....and who knows when MTI will allow the release....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I totally forgot Universal technically has one licensed musical and one produced musical in the UK runnning right now...

I'm leaning towards demoing the concert stage between Despicable Me and Fallon for a new attraction and moving concerts into BMG. You could flex it with the side gate to be in the park or out of the park depending on needs.

The cost associated with the production probably wouldn't equal the ROI they would want.

I do understand that point, it is why I mentioned Evil Dead the Musical as when I saw it (a more than few years back, well It may have had 5 in the cast, but no band, no big sets, no real production safe lots of blood. - it is a production I felt would be as small (if not smaller) than BMG....most touring stuff I see has sets that are more than could be handled in that space.

I really was just trying to think of something (that I have seen) that could fit/work in that space.

Here's something out of the box: it's returned to production and isn't used for an attraction, maybe in the future for HHN for a house.
Production for what though.....

Also, if this is next year, couldn’t they renovate to add whatever (within reason) is necessary?

While we don't really know the answer yet, I think what happens with the rumored Monsters and HTTYD shows at EU is a good indicator of whether or not shows are Universal.

Even with Bourne being a success, the possible cutting of two shows from a new park speaks pretty loudly (to me) about how Universal feels about shows.

Reminder that the show has VERY little space for anything.
Yeah, this cannot fit a typical Broadway production.

To add to this, here's a video which actually shows what kind of space they have backstage...

...I can tell you right now, that is NOT enough space for any kind of Broadway production. That theater was really designed solely for BMG who don't require the kind of space a BW-type show requires for it's casts, sets and props.

Production for what though.....

Also, if this is next year, couldn’t they renovate to add whatever (within reason) is necessary?
Precisely. We know something is coming next year sometime. But we don't know exactly what. So they do have time to make any changes necessary for whatever production is coming. Beyond that, everything is just speculation.

So I walk into this thread, and I see a different kind of chaos. Neat.

Personally, I would argue it'd be better suited if BMG becomes a flex space; able to be worked around for multiple elements and not exactly a specific "Show".