Article: Universal's Past, Present and Potential Future | Inside Universal Forums

Article: Universal's Past, Present and Potential Future

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BernardMesa
If you're interested in a somewhat long read, I just wrote an article that talks about the role of older franchises at Universal Studios Hollywood, and the trend of using non-Universal films as the source for newer attractions.

http://insideuniversal.net/2013/04/proce-of-progress-universals-past-present-future/

Would love to hear what you think. Am I right? Wrong?
I loved the article ! You guys are doing some amazing work , thanks for everything ! :)

It is sad that we cant keep attractions for a long time like disney though. But like take Jurassic Park for example that ride seems like they are not going to replace it anytime soon. Why couldn't they have kept BTTF and did what disney did to Star Tours like you said? 

Reactions: Jon Fu
I loved the article ! You guys are doing some amazing work , thanks for everything ! :)

It is sad that we cant keep attractions for a long time like disney though. But like take Jurassic Park for example that ride seems like they are not going to replace it anytime soon. Why couldn't they have kept BTTF and did what disney did to Star Tours like you said? 
Thanks for the nice comments!

Jurassic Park seems like our version of "It's a Small World," but with the closing of Jaws over in Florida, I guess anything is possible.

As for Back to the Future, they could have pulled a "Star Tours" and refreshed the ride. But that time has long passed, and I don't seem them revisiting the franchise anytime soon. As I mentioned in the article, Universal isn't trying to attraction the die-hard fans. Their main priority is to attract the general public, and unfortunately, I don't think the general public would come to see a revitalized Back to the Future ride.

Perhaps it could work if the park had more attractions, but given the number it currently has now - every attraction counts.

Plus, it didn't help that the film dated itself by mentioning 2015 as the "future".

He he, my YouTube comment was used in the article.

This was really well written. It really is a grim reality though. My biggest issue stems from the fact that Uni keeps replacing thrills with spills. Each new attraction is mostly for children and what once was a great place to have a thrill is now becoming child friendly muck. Each new attraction feels very shallow when compared to the older ones. Some show effort (Transformers) and others just show how cheap and lazy Uni can be (Simpsons).

I wouldn't mind if an attraction was replaced as long as it's done up to the quality standard of the last.

I don't think we'll see JP gone anytime soon though. Jurassic Park will always be relevant because Dinosaurs are forever burned into the culture.

Reactions: Jon Fu
Great article Jon! I'll kinda repeat my comment from the article.

I think the issue (not including Transformers) has been that they've been closing amazing attractions based on nostalgic and popular Universal films and replacing them with INFERIOR attractions, regardless of it being a Universal or othet studio film. I'm more talking about Hollywood. We've been getting the short end of the stick.

We had an amazing, immersive, and huge family dark ride with ET. It could've used some updating, yes, but it had an amazing queue, one of the best ride systems, great sets, figures, etc. It was a fantastic ride for the whole family, something the park still lacks. What we got in return was an INFERIOR Mummy ride that has not the best queue, cheap effects (flashing cutouts...), ruined ending, and lasts a total of 90 seconds....If we maybe got a product that more resembled the Mummy ride in Florida and if they tried harder, I wouldn't have complained as much!

With Back to the Future to Simpsons transition, same thing. We got an amazing ride that was immersive and could have easily been changed (change 2015 to 2050, etc) and what we got in return was an extended April Fools joke of a ride. A cheap overlay. Disney does a better SEASONAL overlay for Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain.

I know that BTTF and ET and Terminator are older properties that don't really bring the crowds, but that could've easily been changed if they were smarter.

But beyond that, the issue for me has been less that they're replacing rides with non Universal properties, but that the new rides are inferior and they didn't try as hard as the ride that it replaced. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It's great hearing what you all have to say.

He he, my YouTube comment was used in the article.

This was really well written. It really is a grim reality though. My biggest issue stems from the fact that Uni keeps replacing thrills with spills. Each new attraction is mostly for children and what once was a great place to have a thrill is now becoming child friendly muck. Each new attraction feels very shallow when compared to the older ones. Some show effort (Transformers) and others just show how cheap and lazy Uni can be (Simpsons).

I wouldn't mind if an attraction was replaced as long as it's done up to the quality standard of the last.

I don't think we'll see JP gone anytime soon though. Jurassic Park will always be relevant because Dinosaurs are forever burned into the culture.
Wow, that's a coincidence. Didn't even know! But I definitely understand your point.

I think there are two narratives at play: those that resent the new wave of attractions based off content alone (e.g., not liking Despicable Me because it hasn't become a "Universal classic" in a sense) and those who are frustrated with the park's lackluster replacements - as you've outlined above (e.g., Simpsons replacing Back to the Future). And of course, you have a mix of those in between.

I fall more in the latter, so I guess I was trying to explain of why the studio has resorted to franchises like Shrek, Transformers and Harry Potter more so than to explain the wave of mediocre crap that Universal has been putting out for the better half of five-or-so years (think Simpsons, Fast and Furious and even Mummy - ending with King Kong). Those attractions have lasting footprints, so it's frustrating to see - especially at a park that has a limited selection of attractions.

I think that camp is completely reasonable. On the other hand, you have those who simply dislike Despicable Me for being new. That's the audience I was trying to target. On one hand, you can have a park with the latest and greatest, and on the other a park completely bathed in old, nostalgic stuff. Chris recently went to the Magic Kingdom, and he kept emphasizing the old 1980s feel that was so prevalent in the park. I felt the same way on my visit to Disneyland a year before. It's a great experience, but there doesn't seem to be much new. Just look at Epcot.

Many people probably see Universal suffering from the same feeling, but perhaps even more so with the lack of attractions. That's where the issue of moving on comes into play.

With Back to the Future to Simpsons transition, same thing. We got an amazing ride that was immersive and could have easily been changed (change 2015 to 2050, etc) and what we got in return was an extended April Fools joke of a ride. A cheap overlay. Disney does a better SEASONAL overlay for Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain.

I know that BTTF and ET and Terminator are older properties that don't really bring the crowds, but that could've easily been changed if they were smarter.

But beyond that, the issue for me has been less that they're replacing rides with non Universal properties, but that the new rides are inferior and they didn't try as hard as the ride that it replaced. Does that make sense?
That's part of the battle, I think. I understand that Back to the Future is an immensely popular franchise, but I can see why Universal decided on the Simpsons for the sake of relevancy. It's just a shame they produced what they did. I can't stress this enough: 20 years of material, and the best you can do is a queue video? Give me a break.

But that era's (hopefully) over.

Great stuff John and all true. I would want BTTF back but only for Nostalgic purposes. Yes i miss a lot of old attractions(Bttf, ET, 1St Kong, T2, Bettlejuice and for some reason really miss Back-draft) but im happy to see Universal Evolve. I think we will see USH at its top again with in the next 4 years. I guess if I want Nostalgia I will head to Disneyland(i go once every 5 years or so)

With level of detail and immersion Potter will bring, it'll definitely feel like another golden age. Another thing we need to remember is that there are additional attractions planned for the expansion plan! Obviously we won't get them right away. But at least we know they're planning great things :)

I have been thinking a lot about USH and loved your article and have osme thoughts to share about my feelings of the park. Sorry for the long post.

I understand any Themepark's need to make itself fresh to ensure that they can draw in more guests. However, that being said I feel that Universals decisions in updating old attractions is doing the opposite. Back To The Future, ET, and Terminator 3D were all expertly crafted attractions with a high level of detail. These attractions were based off of memorable films that had been around for a while as compared to Despicable Me which is only a few years old. Im sure Despicable Me made quite a lot of money for Universal but regardless of if one thinks it has long-lasting appeal (I don't), it is too soon to tell if people would still be interested in this franchise a few years from now. The three torn down attractions were based off of already established films.

The Mummy feels like a third of a great ride, a short ride where only the beginning and ending have theming to it. If the ride was themed throughout I would only have a problem with length, but what we have is a ride where the main section is about riding through an unthemed rollercoaster with static portraits of mummies. Compared to ET which even in the early 2000s still had lots of people passing through it, it is a huge downgrade, not only in ride experience but in being able to move as many guests as possible. The ET ride appealed to everyone, not just children or adults.

Simpsons was a weird choice to replace BTTF, and although I was immensely sad when I heard that BTTF was closing, later on I was optimistic about the Simpsons ride and thought I'd give it a fair chance. The ride is supposed to take place in Krusty Land, and the entire Queue should be representative of a carnival and immerse the guests, instead we have BTTF with purple paint. BTTF had a unique queue film with only some film clips, while Simposon's queue is 90% old show clips. The Simpsons is an established series and has a lot of appeal and history and a recognizable art style. Universal decided to go cheap and make a ride out of 3D models instead of using the established drawn 2D animation style the series is known for. Also, no ride should feel like it's taking place in a themepark, it should have transported you into the world of the Simpsons.

The Terminator show is a top-notch production and always had a big crowd, the actors were spectacular and the show was always entertaining and immersive. Despite its "scary" nature the show always had families with kids showing up. The Terminator show offered something for a wide-range of people while Despicable Me does not appeal to teens or adults. Closing this one down is a terrible decisions that Universal will regret when guests on busy days have nowhere to go and lines are bigger. Universal always had a small amount of attractions and closing down a high capacity show is a terrible decision. I have not been to Universal Orlando and have no experience with the Despicable Me attraction but the idea of another 3D simulator ride just sounds incredibly boring.

Tranformers is definitely a high cost ride but at the end of the day the experience just feels cheap, to me there is no immersion because you are going by screens the entire time and the 3D made the entire ride blurry and out of focus for me (most likely someone needed to recalibrate the projectors). Why is it so hard for one ride to be an actual ride, not a movie. I wish Transformers had just one long section of in ride scenery instead of relying on screens. With BTTF you had a tiny camera going through detailed

scale models, yet Transformers is just watching CGI robots fighting.

King Kong 360 3D is a huge downgrade compared to an entire set of New York being destroyed, with an actual encounter with King Kong. The 3D is always out of focus and you can see the edges of the screens, the entire experience is completely unconvincing. Although I shouldn't blame them since the old one burnt down anyways.

I used to love going to Universal and hadn't been for 2 and a half years when I got a season pass for Christmas. When I showed up and saw that Terminator was gone I was incredibly sad. In less than 2 hours I was done with everything in the park (including Studio Tour). To me well made attractions never feel old, Pirate of The Caribbean and Haunted Mansion have been around for decades and still get huge attendance numbers and continue to be immersive. Disneyland has never felt outdated to me as they always keep the rides that people love and do a great job maintaining everything. Disney would never let a ride like Jurassic Park get to its current state, the ride would always be painted when needed and the animatronics would operate as they were intended to. Disney also makes amazing experiences that I love, even though they might be based off a franchise I don't care for (Cars Land).

In the early 2000s Universal still had the appeal of being about the magic and wonder of films and "riding the movies", the tram tour with Ron Howard reflected this. Visiting the park felt like being able to visit imaginary lands from cinema history. Now I feel like instead or riding the great movies of the past, the current Universal is about watching 3D screens of current films. With many theaters offering 3D film experiences already, what is Universal really offering guests that they can't get elsewhere?

I have been thinking a lot about USH and loved your article and have osme thoughts to share about my feelings of the park. Sorry for the long post.
Hi and welcome! And don't ever worry about or apologize for a long post! We're always glad when someone shares their opinions with us and I'm glad you had a lot to share about the subject. 

And you make a good point - what does USH offer that other places don't?

Nesboy43, welcome, EXCELLENT post I truly agree. I do love Transformers, amazing ride, but nothing compares to a ride like Indiana Jones. Although still, Transformers is a great ride that made great use of the space it had to work with. Especially in USH. Everything else you mentioned is spot on....

Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually lurked on this forum the day that I went to the park and heard about Terminator and was happy to see a fan forum for Universal as I had not heard of one before. I love the Disney Parks but a lot of their community is too obsessed and overlook flaws in my opinion. This board is great because the members seem knowledgeable and are honest about Universal instead of glorifying it.

Allen, I think I need to ride that again because when I rode it the visuals look like streaming an internet video in 2002, really low quality. When compared to the HD commercials I saw for it I knew something must be up. I'm guessing that the ride is supposed to look crystal clear? They must have needed to adjust the projectors the day I rode it cause it just looked bad. If the video was crystal clear and encompassing it would probably change the experience for me.

King Kong has always looked slightly blurry to me but nothing even close to how Transformers was in terms of poor picture quality. However anytime I've been on Captain EO or Star Tours I don't have any problem, but obviously the Disney Parks have a lot more money than Universal which keeps changing owners every 5 years.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually lurked on this forum the day that I went to the park and heard about Terminator and was happy to see a fan forum for Universal as I had not heard of one before. I love the Disney Parks but a lot of their community is too obsessed and overlook flaws in my opinion. This board is great because the members seem knowledgeable and are honest about Universal instead of glorifying it.

Allen, I think I need to ride that again because when I rode it the visuals look like streaming an internet video in 2002, really low quality. When compared to the HD commercials I saw for it I knew something must be up. I'm guessing that the ride is supposed to look crystal clear? They must have needed to adjust the projectors the day I rode it cause it just looked bad. If the video was crystal clear and encompassing it would probably change the experience for me.

King Kong has always looked slightly blurry to me but nothing even close to how Transformers was in terms of poor picture quality. However anytime I've been on Captain EO or Star Tours I don't have any problem, but obviously the Disney Parks have a lot more money than Universal which keeps changing owners every 5 years.
Welcome nesboy. I'm glad you found us.

About Transformers - I recommend you pay a second visit like you mentioned. The visuals have always been very crisp on my end, so it may have been a fluke day for operations. King Kong has never crystal clear, but I think they managed the entire attraction well given the limitations.

Reactions: BehindTheTheme
Transformers has 4K HD 3D protections, it's fantastic. Absolutely beautiful. I'm guessing that the following happened to you:

A. The projectors weren't calibrated (I think this happened for you

OR

B. There was something wrong with your 3D glasses!

That leads to me a funny story i forgot to mention. This one time last year, I went on Transformers and for the life of me I couldn't understand why the ride footage was blury and the 3D wasn't working. Ride finished and turns out that one of the lenses was missing!!! This happened to me a couple times. Someone was vandalizing the glasses. Shame considering how expensive they are. I rerode with new ones though

Reactions: BehindTheTheme
This is just a thought, but maybe Universal can pull a Captain EO. 2015 Marks the 25 anniversary of Back To The Future, and therefore they have a perfect opportunity to Bring back the ride.Yet as you said Jon, Universal wants to attract the general audience, and not just the Die-hard fans. The fact that the ride will never make a come back is really sad to hear.

^ I think Universal will never bring the ride back. The significance of 2015 is great for the movie (30th anniversary, not 25th) but it won't be worth Universal's time or money. And 2015 will be the present, not the future anymore.