Article: Universal's Past, Present and Potential Future | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Article: Universal's Past, Present and Potential Future

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was reading this article from one of the other theme park sites.

The problem with movie studio theme parks

PART 1

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201207/3137/

PART 2

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201304/3456/

I have always wanted to get off and walk around the backlot but can you imagine a full tram getting off and walking around at leasure and them having to get them back on the same tram. YEAH RIGHT!

I didnt agree with a lot in the article, give it a read and see what you think.

Those are two really interesting articles. I think the main issue here is the fact that those aren't really authentic studios. They're trying to recreate something that doesn't exist. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't (or nearly doesn't) work. Look at Universal Studios, Florida and Singapore. All great movie-studio theme parks, but they all practically ignore the studio aspect - simply because filming does not take place in their respective studios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BehindTheTheme
^ yeah, especially Singapore. It works here because we're a REAL working studio and always will be :)

So, as amazing and immersive the non-studio parks are, none of them will give off that authentic movie studio vibe like our park

In the second article he brought up an interesting notion. To have the guests interact with whats around them rather than sit in a Tram and watch the scenes go by.  However Universal did implement this Idea already in their old Special Effects Show.  They had people in the Foley stage remaking sound effects in movies. Having them act out specialty scenes and (even though its completely fake) had a child control a robotic monster using pre Mocap technology. Unfortunatly the new Special Effects show has nearly (If not completely) taken out most of their interactive segments.  I hope they can bring back a better version of this Special Effects show.

Reactions: BernardMesa
That's why I personally hate the new special effects stage. Besides the one green screen and matte painting illusion example, there's no real interactivity that provided natural humor like the original one did.

That's why I personally hate the new special effects stage. Besides the one green screen and matte painting illusion example, there's no real interactivity that provided natural humor like the original one did.
It's a larger room too. As we've seen with Conan's Tonight Show, larger rooms don't work very well for comedy.

Shame. Still, I still think Special Effects depends entirely on the host. The show can range from decent to pretty damn good with hosts like Peter.

Reactions: BernardMesa