Beyond Big Thunder Speculation | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Beyond Big Thunder Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
On the topic of them backing out, did they ever file permits, etc for that Main Street Theatre or the Mary Poppins attraction?

Just wanted to point out there is a Chernabog silhouette in the concept art released... That with an Alicia post basically confirms it for me

This is very interesting. I mean, they do need to do something major to respond to Epic, and Villains have been being begged for, forever.

It's basically the last place they can go to tap into "classic Disney", and the 90's renaissance period in a way that wouldn't be dated... And in a way that would effectively be beyond critique as long as they don't cheap out on it.

It's funny. To me, this feels like a "shots fired" moment, more so than SW:GE and Pandora ever did.
This feels to me directly aimed at the lifestyler AP base. Given that Celestial Gardens and EU feel directly aimed at that same demo, agreed, shots fired.

No, I think Fantasy Springs has at least some thematic consistency by virtue of having aesthetic elements that can sort of bleed together.

It would be different if, say, you had the forest of Sleeping Beauty butting up against the desert of Aladdin butting up against the Greek towns of Hercules.

FWIW Lost Continent pulled this off with the exact same tropes in a land (Greek myth > Arabian Nights > Fantasy medieval Europe) really, really well. I could see it working with a Disney overlay.

Last edited:
It’s interesting to be discussing projects canceled over three years ago during Covid.

I know it’s easy to be pessimistic when it comes to Disney or skeptical but at least they are trying to actually commit to something.

Reactions: youhow2
The wording in that quote doesn't inherently mean anything's happening to the Rivers of America. It sounds like he's describing the bounds of the work area being in between the SSL-to-ROA waterway and Floridian. Which is the area "beyond" Big Thunder on the most technical level.

I hope whatever approach they take regarding the Rivers of America is done with as much thoughtfulness and care as at Disneyland with Galaxy's Edge.

On the topic of them backing out, did they ever file permits, etc for that Main Street Theatre or the Mary Poppins attraction?

I'd think they had permits filed for the theater. They got as far as having construction equipment on site iirc.

Was watching OG55 and he brought up some points that I agree with: I think that for how much this BBTM expansion has been hyped up the choice of RSR and a Woody attraction that could easily go into TSL is disappointing. I think it would better IMO if instead for the desert section they focus on COCO instead. That area deserves far more than a carousel that is rumored for the AK expansion. Or if they are having trouble figuring out something for the desert section, just scrap it and make BBTM all Villains.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I certainly don't want to see a Woody flat ride involved in any of these plans. TOY STORY is already well-represented at the resort (over-represented, I'd argue).

But I don't really understand any resistance* to Disney putting one of the best rides they've ever built on this space. Especially when it wouldn't be a thematic stretch at all, really.

* Beyond, again, wanting to make sure California Adventure has a unique mega-attraction of its own. But I would assume the town of Radiator Springs will remain exclusive to it even if RSR comes to MK.

Was watching OG55 and he brought up some points that I agree with: I think that for how much this BBTM expansion has been hyped up the choice of RSR and a Woody attraction that could easily go into TSL is disappointing. I think it would better IMO if instead for the desert section they focus on COCO instead. That area deserves far more than a carousel that is rumored for the AK expansion. Or if they are having trouble figuring out something for the desert section, just scrap it and make BBTM all Villains.
OG55 is extremely Disneyland biased so while I appreciate his insight I don’t look to him for anything WDW related.

I'll admit my own bias here: I hate the Cars idea and I'm admittedly surprised it's not been immediately laughed off the thread. I just don't think it fits in theme with the surrounding areas, is a necessary addition to this specific park as an attraction, or would be a good use of one of the final large plots of expansion space they still have. I would much rather see any number of other things go there. Coco, Villainsland, any kind of New New Fantasyland or expanded Liberty/New Orleans Square concepts, but not Carsland in 2027-28.

We've been discussing Carsland in WDW for over a decade now. If it wasn't the right choice for Hollywood Studios in 2014, I don't see how it should be anything more than a last resort for Magic Kingdom in 2024. I doubt the idea that they can't afford to spend R&D on a new slate of lands/attractions, but if they honestly can't then they shouldn't build anything here at all.

I'm admittedly surprised it's not been immediately laughed off the thread.
It hasn't been laughed off the thread because Radiator Springs Racers is an incredible ride. I'm deeply skeptical they could come up with something better for COCO (especially if it is just the Soarin 3.0 project as rumored on Magic).

I just don't think it fits in theme with the surrounding areas
disney-wallpaper-big-thunder.jpg

1200px-Radiator_Springs_Racers_at_Cars_Land.jpg

Seems like a natural extension to me!

I would much rather see any number of other things go there. Coco, Villainsland, any kind of New New Fantasyland or expanded Liberty/New Orleans Square concepts, but not Carsland in 2027-28.
Villains is not off the table even if RSR comes. And also, the rumor is for just the ride, not the entire Carsland.

For the record, I don't really believe this is the plan for the area.

I'll admit my own bias here: I hate the Cars idea and I'm admittedly surprised it's not been immediately laughed off the thread. I just don't think it fits in theme with the surrounding areas, is a necessary addition to this specific park as an attraction, or would be a good use of one of the final large plots of expansion space they still have. I would much rather see any number of other things go there. Coco, Villainsland, any kind of New New Fantasyland or expanded Liberty/New Orleans Square concepts, but not Carsland in 2027-28.

We've been discussing Carsland in WDW for over a decade now. If it wasn't the right choice for Hollywood Studios in 2014, I don't see how it should be anything more than a last resort for Magic Kingdom in 2024. I doubt the idea that they can't afford to spend R&D on a new slate of lands/attractions, but if they honestly can't then they shouldn't build anything here at all.
I don’t think you get how large the plot of land is. RSR would take a small bit of it with plenty of room for Villains.

I don’t think you get how large the plot of land is. RSR would take a small bit of it with plenty of room for Villains.
Depending on how much they actually use, we're talking about fitting nearly 4 lands the size of Galaxy's Edge. (The RSR attraction takes up less space than SWGE). Disney has been bad about having "the blessing of size" in WDW (artificially land-locking DHS, etc.), but I don't think people how realize how large of a space is back there.

I still think Cars Land should go to DHS, but I wouldn't be opposed to it at MK if that's the only way WDW can get it.

Depending on how much they actually use, we're talking about fitting nearly 4 lands the size of Galaxy's Edge. (The RSR attraction takes up less space than SWGE). Disney has been bad about having "the blessing of size" in WDW (artificially land-locking DHS, etc.), but I don't think people how realize how large of a space is back there.

I still think Cars Land should go to DHS, but I wouldn't be opposed to it at MK if that's the only way WDW can get it.
They land locked DHS from day 1, but have left themselves open to wide expansion still into the parking lots as long as they are willing to build a garage.

Agreed about fit. No matter where it would be added, I think that RSR would become one of, if not the, most popular rides at Disney World. It is such a great ride and probably most indicative of just what WDI can create.