Black Widow | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Black Widow

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yup, SM3, Strange 2, Thor 4 I can't wait for. I do think that Shang-Chi and Eternals being slept on by a lot of people. Problem is, with everything constantly being pushed back, we haven't seen a trailer for either yet.

Yeah, it's hard to build anticipation when we've seen nothing (aside from some promo images from ETERNALS). SHANG-CHI, from what I've heard, has a pretty solid "action flick" hook, so that will help it.

ETERNALS could be a harder sell, as I've yet to hear anything noteworthy about its pitch that would set it apart from any other "team"-based comic book movies we might have seen already. I have heard it's the first big love story in the MCU, where that element is supposedly central to the plot, not just window dressing, but I can't see that, alone, getting most MCU die hards terribly revved up for it.

Yeah, it's hard to build anticipation when we've seen nothing (aside from some promo images from ETERNALS). SHANG-CHI, from what I've heard, has a pretty solid "action flick" hook, so that will help it.

ETERNALS could be a harder sell, as I've yet to hear anything noteworthy about its pitch that would set it apart from any other "team"-based comic book movies we might have seen already. I have heard it's the first big love story in the MCU, where that element is supposedly central to the plot, not just window dressing, but I can't see that, alone, getting most MCU die hards terribly revved up for it.
Eternals has an incredible cast and is being directed by this years likely Best Director at the Academy Awards. I'm not worried about it.

The good thing is they only pushed Shang-Chi to September instead of knocking the whole schedule off course again. I would've been pissed if Black Widow moving to July 9th meant every movie moving back a release date again. Especially since this movie is taking place anywhere from 5-7 years in the past based on the MCU current year of 2023.

Black Widow feels like it should've been a Disney+ series the more I think about it, because isn't this movie more like a passing of the torch in a way to Yelena Belova?
I mean honestly....all MCU movies should be shows. Budget wise I get why they can't but its going to be hard to go from we have hours to hear a story to...2 hours and here are a bunch of new characters and villains..you have two hours to care about them

It took Hawkeye three films (Thor, Avengers and finally Ultron) to come into his own. While shows allow characters to just be defined in a perfect amount of time.

But I'll bet a steak dinner this show will get a sequel series or one of the characters from this stars in something with Winter Solider/Falcon and will be announced after the film is on DVD
Eternals is going to breakout like GOTG in ‘14
I tell people this, I'm not even into these guys but like GOTG with the right cast and director you have another no name characters become A list stars.

Reactions: Nick
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE arriving two weeks later might have something to say about that! ETERNALS isn't going to be able to dominate an entire month the way GOTG could the August it came out.

I didn’t mean in terms of literal BO numbers, not sure any movie will do over $300m domestic for awhile, I mean it’s going to burst onto the pop culture scene like Guardians did. From your average Joe never hearing of the characters to suddenly having genuine internet. Zhao is that good at connecting characters with viewers.

I didn’t mean in terms of literal BO numbers, not sure any movie will do over $300m domestic for awhile, I mean it’s going to burst onto the pop culture scene like Guardians did. From your average Joe never hearing of the characters to suddenly having genuine internet. Zhao is that good at connecting characters with viewers.
Idk, I think we're going to get back to movies doing big numbers a lot faster than you think. By the time Eternals comes out, I don't think capacity limits will be as strict at theaters and pretty much anyone who wants to get vaccinated should be able to in the US (they really should be able to by the time BW comes out).

More importantly though, consumer confidence is up. A polling firm has been doing a poll once every week since the pandemic began to see where consumer confidence is at. The one that came out this week had 57 percent of respondents saying they would feel "very" or "somewhat okay" about going to a movie theater. That's the same number that it was just over a year ago on a March 15th, 2020 poll, which is just before theaters closed.

People are ready to go back, but no big blockbusters have even tried to debut recently. Godzilla v. Kong will be the first test, but even then, it's on HBO Max. I really think F9 will be the first *true* test of the health of theaters as Universal isn't doing day and date, so you HAVE to go to a theater if you want to watch F9 (of course 17 days later it'll be on digital, but most people don't realize this about Universal films).

Reactions: belloq87
Has Scarlett Johansson said she's finished in the MCU?

I have a gut feeling that there will be two after credits scenes. One to set up the next movie and one is going to be Captain America returning the soul stone and Natasha returning.

Has Scarlett Johansson said she's finished in the MCU?

I have a gut feeling that there will be two after credits scenes. One to set up the next movie and one is going to be Captain America returning the soul stone and Natasha returning.

I'd assume this is Scarlett's last film; and that Florence Pugh would take over for Black Widow's role.

Reactions: joelbryant11
I'd assume this is Scarlett's last film; and that Florence Pugh would take over for Black Widow's role.
I've heard that it's possible, depending on film performance, that it could get a sequel, although it's possible that that's just referring to the mantle of Black Widow and any future movie would be Pugh as Yelena Belova in present day MCU rather than another movie set during the time Natasha was alive.

I'm excited to see it mainly because of a year without MCU films.

I think in years down the road I will like it but it will only be a like 7/10 I'm sure it will be a fun ride but I just can't see it being as deep as Civil War or Falcon Winter Solider but love to be wrong

So I know I’m probably going to share an unpopular opinion on this forum - but this trailer reiterated to me why I think I will continue to like the MCU’s film offerings more than TV.

There is a sense of scale to these movies that make them feel like an event and I think when I picture why I enjoy Marvel, I picture a cinematic experience.

Ive been enjoying FatWS a lot, and BW looks to be arguably close in regards to that Cap style of movie. But this trailer got me so much more excited. The action looks better, the CGI more realistic, the stakes higher. I know the jury is out on the final product, but I’m really anticipating this, even more so than I was initially.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
So I know I’m probably going to share an unpopular opinion on this forum - but this trailer reiterated to me why I think I will continue to like the MCU’s film offerings more than TV.

There is a sense of scale to these movies that make them feel like an event and I think when I picture why I enjoy Marvel, I picture a cinematic experience.

Ive been enjoying FatWS a lot, and BW looks to be arguably close in regards to that Cap style of movie. But this trailer got me so much more excited. The action looks better, the CGI more realistic, the stakes higher. I know the jury is out on the final product, but I’m really anticipating this, even more so than I was initially.
I agree but think of the TV shows as indies that need these big budget films to be a thing.

I will deal with some good films if it means 10 more great tv shows.

Reactions: HalfGlass
I'm excited to see it mainly because of a year without MCU films.

I think in years down the road I will like it but it will only be a like 7/10 I'm sure it will be a fun ride but I just can't see it being as deep as Civil War or Falcon Winter Solider but love to be wrong
Never mind a year, by the time Black Widow comes out, it will have been just over TWO years since the last MCU movie was released to theaters (FFH was released 7/2/19, BW comes out 7/9/21).

Never mind a year, by the time Black Widow comes out, it will have been just over TWO years since the last MCU movie was released to theaters (FFH was released 7/2/19, BW comes out 7/9/21).
The movie is going to be sold out first weekend..no problem

The movie is going to be sold out first weekend..no problem
I agree it'll do very well, but I also think that people are getting used to watching Marvel on Disney+, so having the Premiere Access option could keep some people out of theaters who may otherwise go and do home viewing parties with a bunch of friends.

Obviously though having the streaming option isn't hurting GvK and there's really only up from here the way I see it (Canada's theaters still are mostly closed for example along with much of Europe) as far as opening weekends go. F9 will probably do huge numbers upon it's release.

I agree it'll do very well, but I also think that people are getting used to watching Marvel on Disney+, so having the Premiere Access option could keep some people out of theaters who may otherwise go and do home viewing parties with a bunch of friends.

Obviously though having the streaming option isn't hurting GvK and there's really only up from here the way I see it (Canada's theaters still are mostly closed for example along with much of Europe) as far as opening weekends go. F9 will probably do huge numbers upon it's release.
It will be interesting but you can see Kong Online and it sold out pretty well near me and at least on Reddit I saw many saying the same

I think people just want to get out again for sure some people will watch at home but I think I'll see it two times within a week

It will be interesting but you can see Kong Online and it sold out pretty well near me and at least on Reddit I saw many saying the same

I think people just want to get out again for sure some people will watch at home but I think I'll see it two times within a week
“Selling out” a movie theater in many places though is only at 25% capacity or so, so it’s not necessarily hard. FL is a lot more than that, but most of the country is still down there.