Black Widow | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Black Widow

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not sure Disney would want to "sacrifice" BLACK WIDOW to Disney+ before already-delayed-multiple-times projects like CRUELLA and JUNGLE CRUISE, which -- given that they're unlikely to have near the box office appeal of BLACK WIDOW -- feel like better options to juice the Disney+ content supply.

I'm not sure Disney would want to "sacrifice" BLACK WIDOW to Disney+ before already-delayed-multiple-times projects like CRUELLA and JUNGLE CRUISE, which -- given that they're unlikely to have near the box office appeal of BLACK WIDOW -- feel like better options to juice the Disney+ content supply.

Cruella hasn't had a delay though--right? The only bad apple at this moment between Cruella and JC, is the latter

When production was announced, it was to open in December, 2020.

It was delayed to 2021 even before COVID. Likely to give Spielberg's 20th Century remake of WEST SIDE STORY breathing room. Of course, that's now bumped to Christmas of next year.

Black Widow has been delayed more than both of those movies combined. Also, movies are made with borrowed money. The longer a company sits on a film, the more expensive it becomes because interest starts to rack up on the film.

There’s no reason to believe the May box office will be great either, so they may just want to get this movie out. They will not delay again, I can assure, because that screws with the whole MCU even more.

Black Widow has been delayed more than both of those movies combined. Also, movies are made with borrowed money. The longer a company sits on a film, the more expensive it becomes because interest starts to rack up on the film.

There’s no reason to believe the May box office will be great either, so they may just want to get this movie out. They will not delay again, I can assure, because that screws with the whole MCU even more.
So it Black Widow moves up to Disney+, I assume something else takes its release date. Raya sure as hell ain't releasing to theaters in March.

I think they will wait until March or April to decide on Black Widow...get closer to the date, see where the vaccine is and how safe it will be to open theaters....I really can’t see May being enough time to have a global box office haul like they’re looking for...but domestically it might be enough.

They already delayed the entire Marvel slate to compensate, and they have at least two Marvel series likely premiering before May on Disney+...I don’t think they gain anything putting Black Widow out between now and then.

I think they will wait until March or April to decide on Black Widow...get closer to the date, see where the vaccine is and how safe it will be to open theaters....I really can’t see May being enough time to have a global box office haul like they’re looking for...but domestically it might be enough.

They already delayed the entire Marvel slate to compensate, and they have at least two Marvel series likely premiering before May on Disney+...I don’t think they gain anything putting Black Widow out between now and then.
You’ll probably be disappointed if you are expecting anything more than WandaVision before Black Widow releases.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Those films don't have a universe they are connected to.

Rumors are Black Widow Connects to Winter Solider/Falcon and im sure other shows/up coming films as well. Also like i said they can throw it back in Theaters with a deleted scene or two and make some money off it later but this film needs to come out before next fall or else they really as pushing the MCU back a good deal. If WB can take a hit with WW then Disney can for Black Widow, it's one MCU film and not even one that I think would break much more than Ant Man.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Those films don't have a universe they are connected to.

Rumors are Black Widow Connects to Winter Solider/Falcon and im sure other shows/up coming films as well. Also like i said they can throw it back in Theaters with a deleted scene or two and make some money off it later but this film needs to come out before next fall or else they really as pushing the MCU back a good deal. If WB can take a hit with WW then Disney can for Black Widow, it's one MCU film and not even one that I think would break much more than Ant Man.
Yeah, most people weren't/aren't even all that hyped for Black Widow and here we are still waiting on it to come out so we can move forward with the rest of the MCU.

Yeah, most people weren't/aren't even all that hyped for Black Widow and here we are still waiting on it to come out so we can move forward with the rest of the MCU.
I'm sure it would have done well, but first new new MCU film after End Game (yes, Spiderman but this feels like the real start of what's to come for the plot of the MCU)
Think it was in a tough spot to stand out...and its a spy movie without the Russo brothers and starring dead character.

I'm sure it would have done well, but first new new MCU film after End Game (yes, Spiderman but this feels like the real start of what's to come for the plot of the MCU)
Think it was in a tough spot to stand out...and its a spy movie without the Russo brothers and starring dead character.
It's a movie that really should've came out during the exact time period in which it's taking place in. A Black Widow film after Civil War but before Infinity War with her still being an alive character would've done a lot better, imo.

You’ll probably be disappointed if you are expecting anything more than WandaVision before Black Widow releases.
I think there’s a serious shot that Falcon and the Winter Soldier debuts before it...I’ve heard rumors it ties into Black Widow but then I also heard they’re minor and could be overlooked as an Easter egg more than a spoiler.

Also - even if there’s a more direct tie-in for Falcon and they can’t release it, there’s still a chance Loki could premiere in the original Spring slot they had for it. Might be prudent for them since there’s rumors there is a second season for that show.

Last edited:
I think there’s a serious shot that Falcon and the Winter Soldier debuts before it...I’ve heard rumors it ties into Black Widow but then I also heard they’re minor and could be overlooked as an Easter egg more than a spoiler.

Also - even if there’s a more direct tie-in for Falcon and they can’t release it, there’s still a chance Loki could premiere in the original Spring slot they had for it. Might be prudent for them since there’s rumors there is a second season for that show.

From what it sounds like, I thought Loki is still in production for a few more weeks? If that's going to be more effects intensive, I doubt they'd be able to get it out before Black Widow.

Reactions: HalfGlass
From what it sounds like, I thought Loki is still in production for a few more weeks? If that's going to be more effects intensive, I doubt they'd be able to get it out before Black Widow.
I’ve heard rumors Loki has ties to Black Widow somehow too, but if that’s true in any sense, I suspect they are fairly weak ties that you wouldn’t notice too much by not having seen BW.

I know Disney probably wants to avoid having to completely reshuffle their entire summer schedule (and appear unwilling -- or contractually unable -- to send a couple of the movies to Disney+ to free up space), but I think May 7th is slightly too aggressive (if they expect a major hit, which maybe they don't anymore). Even dropping back a month would probably make a pretty big difference.

I know Disney probably wants to avoid having to completely reshuffle their entire summer schedule (and appear unwilling -- or contractually unable -- to send a couple of the movies to Disney+ to free up space), but I think May 7th is slightly too aggressive (if they expect a major hit, which maybe they don't anymore). Even dropping back a month would probably make a pretty big difference.

See, I would agree; if it werent for the fact that the next big hurdle, LA and SoCal, are quickly getting close to reopen their theaters: with March 19th seemingly poised to possibly allow movie theaters to be reopened.

Reactions: Nick
If they move it back, I really don't want it pushing back Shang-chi. I'd prefer them push it back further in May or in June. Black Widow is just not exciting at all as it's set BEFORE Infinity War and is more or less an introduction of Yelena Belova more than anything.

We need to get the movies going again. We were supposed to be seeing Multiverse of Madness this May and already have seen Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Enternals, and Spider-Man 3 coming in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAJAS
If they move it back, I really don't want it pushing back Shang-chi. I'd prefer them push it back further in May or in June. Black Widow is just not exciting at all as it's set BEFORE Infinity War and is more or less an introduction of Yelena Belova more than anything.

We need to get the movies going again. We were supposed to be seeing Multiverse of Madness this May and already have seen Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, AND Spider-Man 3.
Sorry to be pedantic but Spider-Man 3 initially would have been in July of 2021, following Homecoming and Far from Home's releases in July of 2017 and July of 2019 respectively.

Still think they could switch it out with Cruella.

EDIT: And we should really be getting a trailer for Shang-Chi by now.

Reactions: Journey_On and Nick
Sorry to be pedantic but Spider-Man 3 initially would have been in July of 2021, following Homecoming and Far from Home's releases in July of 2017 and July of 2019 respectively.

Still think they could switch it out with Cruella.

EDIT: And we should really be getting a trailer for Shang-Chi by now.
We likely won't get a Shang-Chi trailer until Black Widow comes out. Possibly Black Widow opening weekend so it can play in front of the movie?

Reactions: AlexanderMBush