California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm telling you guys, agree with me or not, they're not going to budge on letting the parks open until the election is over, especially if their ideal candidate wins. The virus is being used politically.

There's absolutely some politically-oriented optics in play, but the timing really has nothing to do with the election and everything about the presentational priorities of each party. Let's do our best to avoid turning this thread into another election-oriented politics back and forth.

Hmm.. California with it’s overly strict tier system vs Florida where we get our marching orders via tweet.

Hmm.. California with it’s overly strict tier system vs Florida where we get our marching orders via tweet.

The density of California’s population in regards to the location of the parks is a big factor when discussing reopenings here in CA. It wouldn’t take much for another spike in COVID cases here, which is why the state’s being overly cautious. Now if the parks weren’t located in LA and OC, might be a different story, but even tourist destinations like Yosemite National Park are operating at reduced capacity with reservations (and, honestly, that was an amazing experience).

Just wait it out. You’ll get to go to the parks by the end of 2021, I think. I’ve decided to wait until mask restrictions are lifted before attending again. Being out in public has become anxiety inducing, especially when people choose not to follow social distancing and mask guidelines.

this is big right?
Unless the Governor says its legal...all of this is useless

Its like how Trump ignores guidelines from health officials

People keep dragging the slow open in LA without really considering the impacts of an opening a county with a higher population than 40 states, and a population density second only to NYC.

An outbreak the scale of NYC there would be catastrophic.
I mean I think meeting in the middle is what people want

Why can some things like Winery's open but not Theme parks? Why can theme parks open but not the rides? It seems political because from what I read cases aren't going up because of WDW being open but from party's, clubs and people not wearing masks.
If Disney forces you to mask up, they should be able to open. It's to me simple, that or give people money that are losing everything...ok you can't do that its Federal then let them open up and make money again. We can somehow pay off people getting sick but we can't pay people to stay home...so sadly we have to let adults decide if they want to risk getting sick or not.

Unless the Governor says its legal...all of this is useless

Its like how Trump ignores guidelines from health officials

I mean I think meeting in the middle is what people want

Why can some things like Winery's open but not Theme parks? Why can theme parks open but not the rides? It seems political because from what I read cases aren't going up because of WDW being open but from party's, clubs and people not wearing masks.
If Disney forces you to mask up, they should be able to open. It's to me simple, that or give people money that are losing everything...ok you can't do that its Federal then let them open up and make money again. We can somehow pay off people getting sick but we can't pay people to stay home...so sadly we have to let adults decide if they want to risk getting sick or not.
To your first question, winery’s aren’t theme parks. They’re beverage production facilities with restaurants (both entities authorized to open) with walk through tours similar to a museum (also authorized to open).

Theme parks can open their retail and food locations because retail and food is authorized state-wide. Retail and food nudge into “essential” activities. Going on a roller coaster is not.

The issue with relying on Orlando’s theme park numbers is, without effective contact tracing, we won’t know exactly what’s going on at the parks. There are anecdotal reports of employees at WDW and Universal getting infected. The parks are not legally required to disclose this, so they’re not disclosing it.

LA is not Central FL. SoCal infection will spread significantly faster than Orlando. Fans really need to stop comparing the two.

“We feel there’s no hurry to put out guidelines and we continue to work with the industry,” -Gavin Newsom.

I’ll just leave that quote there and leave my commentary out of it. Take that for what you will.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
People keep dragging the slow open in LA without really considering the impacts of an opening a county with a higher population than 40 states, and a population density second only to NYC.

An outbreak the scale of NYC there would be catastrophic.
To your first question, winery’s aren’t theme parks. They’re beverage production facilities with restaurants (both entities authorized to open) with walk through tours similar to a museum (also authorized to open).

Theme parks can open their retail and food locations because retail and food is authorized state-wide. Retail and food nudge into “essential” activities. Going on a roller coaster is not.

The issue with relying on Orlando’s theme park numbers is, without effective contact tracing, we won’t know exactly what’s going on at the parks. There are anecdotal reports of employees at WDW and Universal getting infected. The parks are not legally required to disclose this, so they’re not disclosing it.

LA is not Central FL. SoCal infection will spread significantly faster than Orlando. Fans really need to stop comparing the two.
Its laughable to call a Winery essential more than theme parks. As if you have to go there to get food like a grocery store to survive.

It's not just about roller coasters it about the hotels, restaurants, stores and people who need the theme park open to make a living.

No one is saying open 100% start at 25% and go from there but with the new quote saying they wont open anytime soon the governor just damned tens if not hundred of thousands of peoples jobs and lively hoods. The amount of back end bad news this is going to cause in years to come is all on him, but clearly doesn't see it as a priority.

Its laughable to call a Winery essential more than theme parks. As if you have to go there to get food like a grocery store to survive.

It's not just about roller coasters it about the hotels, restaurants, stores and people who need the theme park open to make a living.

No one is saying open 100% start at 25% and go from there but with the new quote saying they wont open anytime soon the governor just damned tens if not hundred of thousands of peoples jobs and lively hoods. The amount of back end bad news this is going to cause in years to come is all on him, but clearly doesn't see it as a priority.
I mean, I never said they were essential. I said they make beverages, serve as restaurants, and do museum type tours which are all authorized by the state. But, since you want to put words in my mouth, wineries are in the same category as breweries and distilleries. They’re manufacturing a consumable product. They are categorically far more “essential” than a theme park.

And they CAN open the retail and restaurants. Hotels are authorized to open. That’s how Knott’s opened. That’s how CityWalk is opened. The option is there for the parks. They’re just not doing it.

I mean, I never said they were essential. I said they make beverages, serve as restaurants, and do museum type tours which are all authorized by the state. But, since you want to put words in my mouth, wineries are in the same category as breweries and distilleries. They’re manufacturing a consumable product. They are categorically far more “essential” than a theme park.

And they CAN open the retail and restaurants. Hotels are authorized to open. That’s how Knott’s opened. That’s how CityWalk is opened. The option is there for the parks. They’re just not doing it.
While i agree Disney and Universal should be doing food events, why are rides so taboo?If your wearing a mask on Big Thunder your not going to get sick

That is what I thought is the point of lock down's is keep you from not getting sick but if Disney is having rules to make you not get sick then, why not let them open? also while food events are great for Disney to make money it wont get hotels or restaurants or stores in the area's near them any help. With homeless a big issues in the state to me its crazy to tell people, sorry your not a priority from the governor, its been 7 months and his plan to me seems very not well thought out or caring for the businesses affected.

The Backlot shop now open "in DTD" is INSIDE DCA. There's no reason DCA can't open Buena Vista Street, the performance corridor with F&W booths, Paradise Pier, etc. That's the craziest thing for me.

Reactions: Tristan and Legacy
The issue is transmission. On a roller coaster, people scream and yell. Well, that means the virus can be transmitted, and now to large groups of people very quickly. If one person in the front yells, they could potentially infect all the people behind them. Having 6 feet of distance doesn't mean much if you're all moving at 20 mph or more. Hence why a park in Japan initially told people not to scream on the rides (the now famous line, "Please scream inside your heart.") Don't think that would work very well here in the states.

Admittedly, most roller coasters are outdoors, so that may minimize things a bit--maybe even a lot, but who knows for sure? But even if they did, what about indoor coasters like Space Mountain? From a covid transmission point of view, that probably isn't very safe.

The other issue is all the rides in a park are totally different. Covid safety on an outdoor attraction is likely very different on an indoor attraction. And attractions with long indoor queues (think Indy or RotR)... also probably not very safe. Where do dark rides fall on the spectrum? The submarine ride? Star Tours? Water rides? Shows? Parades? Do you just close the indoor rides... and if so, are people going to visit a park if 2/3 of the attractions are closed for safety reasons?

Plus, we must think of the employees. I know I wouldn't want to run the elevator in Haunted Mansion. It's may be okay for the guest, who's only in it for a short time. But as an employee, being trapped in a fairly small indoor space for hours, with probably poor ventilation, crammed with people you don't know? I wouldn't want to do it.

I know I've proposed on my twitter that Disney ought to open more for food and shopping, but every time I have, I've been told the issue is unions.

Breaking News: Disneyland is opening the train because it counts as transportation. When Josh D’Amaro was asked why he responded with “We’re desperate. And we know what the people want, and that is the train”

Reactions: Freak
The issue is transmission. On a roller coaster, people scream and yell. Well, that means the virus can be transmitted, and now to large groups of people very quickly. If one person in the front yells, they could potentially infect all the people behind them. Having 6 feet of distance doesn't mean much if you're all moving at 20 mph or more. Hence why a park in Japan initially told people not to scream on the rides (the now famous line, "Please scream inside your heart.") Don't think that would work very well here in the states.

Admittedly, most roller coasters are outdoors, so that may minimize things a bit--maybe even a lot, but who knows for sure? But even if they did, what about indoor coasters like Space Mountain? From a covid transmission point of view, that probably isn't very safe.

The other issue is all the rides in a park are totally different. Covid safety on an outdoor attraction is likely very different on an indoor attraction. And attractions with long indoor queues (think Indy or RotR)... also probably not very safe. Where do dark rides fall on the spectrum? The submarine ride? Star Tours? Water rides? Shows? Parades? Do you just close the indoor rides... and if so, are people going to visit a park if 2/3 of the attractions are closed for safety reasons?

Plus, we must think of the employees. I know I wouldn't want to run the elevator in Haunted Mansion. It's may be okay for the guest, who's only in it for a short time. But as an employee, being trapped in a fairly small indoor space for hours, with probably poor ventilation, crammed with people you don't know? I wouldn't want to do it.

I know I've proposed on my twitter that Disney ought to open more for food and shopping, but every time I have, I've been told the issue is unions.
I wish the Employees spoke out

I hate me or anyone talking for them but I'm sure a good deal of them (because of how passionate/hardworking they are) would go back if asked. 100% of the workforce isn't coming back day one anyway, so why not say who wants to work? Then go by how long/how good of a worker they are and go from there.

Some rides might not be able to open which is fine, masks are required for all coasters that are outside but Big Thunder should be fine if you allow groups in the same car then skip the next car.

But I assume the Governor would not even allow outside rides like Dumbo to be open, so for Disney its hard they want to try and make more money than what knotts is, but do I think they should do food events while this happens OMG yes....a Mando event next month where they could do a walk through outside attraction/tour of galaxy edge where you follow a path and see Mando fighting storm troopers in the second story area's would be amazing but as you said unions aren't allowing it for whatever reason.
So Disney needs the parks to open. If people were getting all the money they needed and same with Business owners, I'd say who cares how long they are closed but that is not the situation and needs to be treated as something that could hurt people in area's around theme parks for YEARS after this and make people who were about to become homeless to become that because they have just not support and not like new jobs are popping ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.