California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't read it....is this people saying it or the union's stance?
Unions are made up of the employees. Union reps are voted on by the employees to represent them. Major talking points that diverge from the employer’s stance are typically submitted and reviewed by all the union members (the employees) to ensure it is a stance the majority of them agree with.

The union is the employee.

Unions are made up of the employees. Union reps are voted on by the employees to represent them. Major talking points that diverge from the employer’s stance are typically submitted and reviewed by all the union members (the employees) to ensure it is a stance the majority of them agree with.

The union is the employee.
Well since my elected leaders don't represent me, this doesn't even mean most don't want to come back yet.

Are the CM's working in DTD not happy about the situation? There are a few who work indoors and thats better than a ride why?

But I'm also confused...Knotts seems to be doing it right why are CM's not wanting to do food events?

Well since my elected leaders don't represent me, this doesn't even mean most don't want to come back yet.

Are the CM's working in DTD not happy about the situation? There are a few who work indoors and thats better than a ride why?

But I'm also confused...Knotts seems to be doing it right why are CM's not wanting to do food events?

I wouldn't place the lack of food events on Disney property, to the fault of CM's and Union.

Meanwhile, Disney is seemingly going to challenge Gavin's comments earlier today.

That was almost 3 months ago. Is that still their stance today?
They haven’t released a statement saying they’re ready to reopen. Most of their current messaging is focused on getting Newsom to sign a bill supporting a “return to work” requirement for laid off workers (which he vetoed). They have yet to say, “We support reopening.”

Here's the question I have. When Disney closed in March the assumptions around covid was that the death rate per infected was much higher than it has turned out. At that time California was
going to let them stay open. Disney made the right decision by closing. Lots of infections and total deaths of course, but it's nowhere near that 5% to 10% figure (CDC now says 0.30 % apx.) that the experts were assuming back then.
So, Why was it OK for the California governor to let the park stay open then, even though Disney closed on their own, but now it's not. What's the story?

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Freak
I just find it comical that Disney has been able to open their parks all around the world, but the State of California refuses to allow thousands of people to go back to work...Newsom must be some scientific genius that knows something the rest of the world doesn't know...or maybe ya know politics, but we can't talk about that here...

Here's the question I have. When Disney closed in March the assumptions around covid was that the death rate per infected was much higher than it has turned out. At that time California was
going to let them stay open. Disney made the right decision by closing. Lots of infections and total deaths of course, but it's nowhere near that 5% to 10% figure (CDC now says 0.30 % apx.) that the experts were assuming back then.
So, Why was it OK for the California governor to let the park stay open then, even though Disney closed on their own, but now it's not. What's the story?
More information has been learned, things haven't gotten any better, and theres zero leadership across the country with regards to this virus. They're also the most populated area in this entire country, a country that leads the world in deaths by having 1/5 of them, and having 1/4 of the cases. People can change minds based on data and things we learn over time.

I feel there is some middle ground other than saying "No guidelines soon", but, Newsom is making the correct decision. I don't think people understand how reckless the Orlando parks being open actually is, I really don't. We all want these places open and people working but with flu season upon us risking an outbreak at a large theme park, or smaller theme parks, isn't viable.

Covid is a no win scenario people. It sucks.

Reactions: Rideguy70
Now you can argue that Disney could have been using the layoffs as a pressure move to get Newsom to budge on the reopenings, and I would agree with that. Even if the parks opened last week, it still would've happened. I also understand that a good number of those layoffs were in Florida.

However, when a major company lays off tens of thousands of their employees while begging to be allowed to reopen, and Newsom uses language like "We're going to have to be more stubborn" or "We're not in a hurry to issue guidelines", that's a really, really bad look on Newsom.

I just find it comical that Disney has been able to open their parks all around the world, but the State of California refuses to allow thousands of people to go back to work...Newsom must be some scientific genius that knows something the rest of the world doesn't know...or maybe ya know politics, but we can't talk about that here...
You can’t compare the US parks to the international parks, because the virus is under control outside the US. And the infection rate is higher in Florida than in California right now because stuff has reopened.

More information has been learned, things haven't gotten any better, and theres zero leadership across the country with regards to this virus. They're also the most populated area in this entire country, a country that leads the world in deaths by having 1/5 of them, and having 1/4 of the cases. People can change minds based on data and things we learn over time.

I feel there is some middle ground other than saying "No guidelines soon", but, Newsom is making the correct decision. I don't think people understand how reckless the Orlando parks being open actually is, I really don't. We all want these places open and people working but with flu season upon us risking an outbreak at a large theme park, or smaller theme parks, isn't viable.

Covid is a no win scenario people. It sucks.
I also think its reckless to let people just not have a way to work or operate a business they own

I hope Business owners see this as a reason not to start anything in CA, the government will not help you and just lock you down and when its all over you still owe money and have nothing.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Now you can argue that Disney could have been using the layoffs as a pressure move to get Newsom to budge on the reopenings, and I would agree with that. Even if the parks opened last week, it still would've happened. I also understand that a good number of those layoffs were in Florida.

However, when a major company lays off tens of thousands of their employees while begging to be allowed to reopen, and Newsom uses language like "We're going to have to be more stubborn" or "We're not in a hurry to issue guidelines", that's a really, really bad look on Newsom.

How’s it a bad look for Newsom that Disney laid off employees in Florida and California because of a global pandemic? You’re leaving out a lot of details in your comments including population density, infection rates per county, state, and country, and current international tourism trends. I’m sure if you took the time to dig a little deeper, you’d already have an answer to your questions.

Reactions: Tristan and Legacy
How’s it a bad look for Newsom that Disney laid off employees in Florida and California because of a global pandemic? You’re leaving out a lot of details in your comments including population density, infection rates per county, state, and country, and current international tourism trends. I’m sure if you took the time to dig a little deeper, you’d already have an answer to your questions.
If your argument is population density, then please tell my why the parks are allowed to
reopen in China, the most populated country in the world, and one of the most restrictive as well? How can almost every place else on the planet have theme parks open but we can’t!? Germany, UK, most of Europe, Australia...they all have let their parks reopen! Only places I can think of that won’t let their parks open are the Carolinas, Virginia, and Canada. Their population isn’t nearly as dense as California, or even SoCal for that matter!

Also, how come zoos, grocery stores, airports, malls, and other places be open that are less “safe” but theme parks can’t? They’re not controlling how many people go in and out of those places.

T
I also think its reckless to let people just not have a way to work or operate a business they own

I hope Business owners see this as a reason not to start anything in CA, the government will not help you and just lock you down and when its all over you still owe money and have nothing.
This is an extreme take, imo. You understand all the people in Orlando who went back to work, and still ended up getting fired right? Opening up doesn't mean those jobs are going to stay, because the business is not going to be able to retain their old business models like they used to.

Theres a clear middle ground here. We're in an extremely deadly pandemic that is truly preventing people from working due to safety, California is literally BURNING, no federal government aid for anyone in this country with regards to Covid, he doesn't have many options to go here. Either shut most things down to keep people safe, or open up the economy like Florida and see how many cases and deaths they have had.

There is a middle ground to this, frankly, I don't know that is. I don't think anyone on this forum, with all due respect, knows that answer. Hell I dont think any government in the US rn, regardless of politics, knows what that middle ground is. Our citizens cannot be trusted to simply wear masks which has proven to drastically prevent spread, our President doesn't listen to science, and 215,000 people have died. You can impose guidelines all you want but its not a given that people will follow them. We aren't talking like we're 3 years into this new virus and he isn't negotiating, we are still in the extremely early stages of learning about Covid and learning how to operate under those conditions. I think Newsom taking the slow approach is his way of truly showing people we don't know a lot.

Im proud a US Politician took the care of lives over $ for once, it literally never happens here. Capitalism doesn't work if everything is run by profits and we're hit with a pandemic that halts profits across almost all industries. They're larger problems at play here than just "They're locking us down forever", come on.

If your argument is population density, then please tell my why the parks are allowed to
reopen in China, the most populated country in the world, and one of the most restrictive as well? How can almost every place else on the planet have theme parks open but we can’t!? Germany, UK, most of Europe, Australia...they all have let their parks reopen! Only places I can think of that won’t let their parks open are the Carolinas, Virginia, and Canada. Their population isn’t nearly as dense as California, or even SoCal for that matter!

Also, how come zoos, grocery stores, airports, malls, and other places be open that are less “safe” but theme parks can’t? They’re not controlling how many people go in and out of those places.
China can open because their citizens wear masks and follow guidelines. Our President can't even do that, we can't handle it. Thats why its not open. All those places that have let their parks open (minus Florida) have all controlled the virus where the US is still spiraling and hasn't changed relatively at all since this started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tristan
T

This is an extreme take, imo. You understand all the people in Orlando who went back to work, and still ended up getting fired right? Opening up doesn't mean those jobs are going to stay, because the business is not going to be able to retain their old business models like they used to.

Theres a clear middle ground here. We're in an extremely deadly pandemic that is truly preventing people from working due to safety, California is literally BURNING, no federal government aid for anyone in this country with regards to Covid, he doesn't have many options to go here. Either shut most things down to keep people safe, or open up the economy like Florida and see how many cases and deaths they have had.

There is a middle ground to this, frankly, I don't know that is. I don't think anyone on this forum, with all due respect, knows that answer. Hell I dont think any government in the US rn, regardless of politics, knows what that middle ground is. Our citizens cannot be trusted to simply wear masks which has proven to drastically prevent spread, our President doesn't listen to science, and 215,000 people have died. You can impose guidelines all you want but its not a given that people will follow them. We aren't talking like we're 3 years into this new virus and he isn't negotiating, we are still in the extremely early stages of learning about Covid and learning how to operate under those conditions. I think Newsom taking the slow approach is his way of truly showing people we don't know a lot.

Im proud a US Politician took the care of lives over $ for once, it literally never happens here. Capitalism doesn't work if everything is run by profits and we're hit with a pandemic that halts profits across almost all industries. They're larger problems at play here than just "They're locking us down forever", come on.
The middle ground is t open at 25%, the reason we split the topic into two threads is because Florida is giving too much "freedom" while CA is giving some people nothing. The middle ground could also be "food events" but the unions wont allow that so, I guess in the end we are just going to see people become more homeless over the next few years (because unless biden offers some sort of forgiveness you still have to pay student debts/rent after all this is over, job or not)

COVID effects will be felt in these cities long after we get a Vaccine and its why I wish they would open up and save as many jobs and future jobs as they can but the longer Theaters/Theme parks are cloased in CA the worst it will get.

You’re naming places overseas where the virus is pretty much under control, which isn’t the case here. You do realize that, right?

Also, apart from zoos, you’re naming places that do not exist for strictly entertainment purposes. Travel is essential. Food is essential. Retail is a primary need. That’s why Target never shut down. Zoos are authorized to open the same way Knott’s is authorized to open. Which is the same way Disneyland could open.

It’s to the point I think you’re being willfully dense. Trying to compare a theme park to a grocery store is like comparing a dog to a train. Comparing Germany, a country in Europe, to LA county is like comparing an elephant to an elephant shrew (Germany has 8x the population and 800 fewer daily infections than LA).

I get wanting Disney to open, but your reaching has moved into the realm of incredulous.

Reactions: Tristan and Allison
The middle ground is t open at 25%, the reason we split the topic into two threads is because Florida is giving too much "freedom" while CA is giving some people nothing. The middle ground could also be "food events" but the unions wont allow that so, I guess in the end we are just going to see people become more homeless over the next few years (because unless biden offers some sort of forgiveness you still have to pay student debts/rent after all this is over, job or not)

COVID effects will be felt in these cities long after we get a Vaccine and its why I wish they would open up and save as many jobs and future jobs as they can but the longer Theaters/Theme parks are cloased in CA the worst it will get.
I get your point, it sadly just hasn't gone well for places opening up. They're losing jobs at alarming rates as well. Some of this is just unfortunately unavoidable, and that is hard to stomach. Frankly a lot of these issues arising DUE to Covid, were major issues precovid that are now being really shown in the spotlight as practically everyone outside of the top 1%, has been affected by this is some way or another. Its just insanity lol.

BUT, I think California is just a different place. Literally and figuratively. Population wise, weather wise, and obviously government wise as well. I know Im a homebody so its easier for me to say this makes sense (not financially, though!), but I really am not sure what else they can do. 25% capacity is gonna save some jobs and those are of course meaningful, but operating at 25% likely means that they are not going to be able to keep their workforce anyways.

Hopefully their goal is the new year for opening.

TLDR; this all freaking SUCKS.

Well, for one the Chinese government owns Shanghai, so Disney has no control over what opens there. Hong Kong has been shut down twice over concerns when cases spiked, which Florida hasn’t done yet.

Los Angeles County is currently recording 10.2 new cases per 100,000 residents. Both Shanghai and Hong Kong are in regions marked as 3-5 new cases per 100,000. It‘s Mainland China having the worst infection rates. Both of these cities are on the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.