CityWalk Expansion | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
Isn't it kind of amusing that Disney got all twisted trying to lure Starbucks into DR, yet Universal pops them in numerous places with, apparently, little effort.

I don't know why Starbucks in Disney was newsworthy, when Universal has had them in the parks and in CityWalk for YEARS.

Aside from Menchie's and perhaps the Mexican joint with the racist weather vane, this is a pretty underwhelming crop of venues. They're switching out one Italian place for another, adding a poor man's Earl of Sandwich, and joining the local carnival with a hotdog stand. A hotdog stand. Who gives a **** about hotdogs? Perhaps when the next announcement rolls around, they'll have something more exciting to offer. Until then, enjoy your cold fish on your hot burger...

Yup handcrafted sandwiches and a unique Burger-Sushi fusion concept are completely underwhelming...

Aside from Menchie's and perhaps the Mexican joint with the racist weather vane, this is a pretty underwhelming crop of venues. They're switching out one Italian place for another, adding a poor man's Earl of Sandwich, and joining the local carnival with a hotdog stand. A hotdog stand. Who gives a **** about hotdogs? Perhaps when the next announcement rolls around, they'll have something more exciting to offer. Until then, enjoy your cold fish on your hot burger...

What type of cuisine where you hoping for? Hungarian?

Yup handcrafted sandwiches and a unique Burger-Sushi fusion concept are completely underwhelming...

You can get a "handcrafted" sandwich at Publix!! Breadbox is just another Earl's. That's it. To be fair, the burger/fish joint may hold promise, but average theme parkers will probably forego it in favor of safer choices like Moe's and BK. We shall see...

- - - Updated - - -

What type of cuisine where you hoping for? Hungarian?

"Hungarian." Lol. Well played, good sir. At this rate, Citywalk is slowly transforming into a year round Food & Wine fest. Maybe Polish?

- - - Updated - - -

Earl of Sandwich is an interstate rest stop chain. I bet money Bread Box will drink The Earls milkshake. And The Hot Dog Hall of Fame isn't a regular Hot Dog Stand. It is a concept from the same guy who brought us Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex. It probably won't totally suck. And the new Italian restaurant will have fresh pasta made daily and a chefs show kitchen. Cowfish also sounds like an interesting and unique concept. What exactly were you expecting for CityWalk?

I was expecting anything but the aforementioned venues. So much for expectations...

Pranzos.

Uni seems to have knocked Red Oven out of the park, and a fresh Italian place could be legendary.

Agreed. Pastamore was very meh IMO and I'm excited at the idea of a quality Italian restaurant.

Cowfish of course will be fantastic, but I'm really intrigued by the Bread Box as well. Could be a great lunch spot.

I'm really excited for all these Uni originals... glad to see them going this route.

Wow. I mean, I seriously cannot muster one critique. I think they nailed it with the diversity of their offerings.

The additions re-establish CityWalk as an attraction unto itself, so the more adventurous parkgoers will be drawn to it as well as those outside of the resort. It's a solid move adding so many choices, and especially so many family-friendly ones. Let's not forget that two of these establishments are replacing a cigar shop and a bar.

The chicken tenders crowd can stick to the parks, or Moe's or the Whopper Bar, so they are not left behind.

And then the eight additions themselves are split 4 and 4 between established unique concepts and original concepts.

Established places like Cold Stone and Menchie's will attract the late-night-snack crowds. Cowfish sounds incredible with its burger-sushi fusion offerings that I cannot wait to try. Hot Dog Hall of Fame, though some of Schussler's restaurants have deteriorated greatly in quality and value, looks like a fun establishment that puts a spin on a typical ordinary food.

I can easily see leaving the park or ending the day with Antojitos or Pranzo, and Red Oven and Bread Box look like they would be high quality quick service restaurants. This is just rolling out the carpet for Potter.

Wow. I mean, I seriously cannot muster one critique. I think they nailed it with the diversity of their offerings.

The additions re-establish CityWalk as an attraction unto itself, so the more adventurous parkgoers will be drawn to it as well as those outside of the resort. It's a solid move adding so many choices, and especially so many family-friendly ones. Let's not forget that two of these establishments are replacing a cigar shop and a bar.

The chicken tenders crowd can stick to the parks, or Moe's or the Whopper Bar, so they are not left behind.

And then the eight additions themselves are split 4 and 4 between established unique concepts and original concepts.

Established places like Cold Stone and Menchie's will attract the late-night-snack crowds. Cowfish sounds incredible with its burger-sushi fusion offerings that I cannot wait to try. Hot Dog Hall of Fame, though some of Schussler's restaurants have deteriorated greatly in quality and value, looks like a fun establishment that puts a spin on a typical ordinary food.

I can easily see leaving the park or ending the day with Antojitos or Pranzo, and Red Oven and Bread Box look like they would be high quality quick service restaurants. This is just rolling out the carpet for Potter.

Yeah right, this seems awesome, and its them just unrolling 8 new places and we know that they will add even more in the fall of 2014 and spring 2015. It's crazy to consider this underwhelming. We have a new huge diversity of food. I can't rmemeber when the last time I ate at city walk (other than red oven and emerils). The way I see it is keep bringing em in. Some curry, a new irish/english pub and maybe a "4 beast bar" (imagine godzilla, kong, a t-rex and jaws all having beers as the logo.... Jk, but really that would be pretty sick)

This time next year you the city walk will be totally new, enjoy whatever you see now cuz other than cinnabon, nothin is safe

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah right, this seems awesome, and its them just unrolling 8 new places and we know that they will add even more in the fall of 2014 and spring 2015. It's crazy to consider this underwhelming. We have a new huge diversity of food. I can't rmemeber when the last time I ate at city walk (other than red oven and emerils). The way I see it is keep bringing em in. Some curry, a new irish/english pub and maybe a "4 beast bar" (imagine godzilla, kong, a t-rex and jaws all having beers as the logo.... Jk, but really that would be pretty sick)

This time next year you the city walk will be totally new, enjoy whatever you see now cuz other than cinnabon, nothin is safe

expect for bob marley, gump, emrils, hardrock

You can get a "handcrafted" sandwich at Publix!! Breadbox is just another Earl's. That's it. To be fair, the burger/fish joint may hold promise, but average theme parkers will probably forego it in favor of safer choices like Moe's and BK. We shall see...

- - - Updated - - -

"Hungarian." Lol. Well played, good sir. At this rate, Citywalk is slowly transforming into a year round Food & Wine fest. Maybe Polish?

- - - Updated - - -

I was expecting anything but the aforementioned venues. So much for expectations...
So tell me about your last visit to a Bread Box and their Publix's quality sandwiches? Maybe just for you they can make a Midol Sandwich.

Reactions: USO92

Is there a Publix at Universal? I'm all about delicious subs, and sure it might not be the most ORIGINAL thing in the world, but guess what, they're damn delicious.

Someone wake me up when Kong is confirmed for 2015

- - - Updated - - -

Aw... now I can't see Bill Paxton's eyes wondering into the distance :(

Is there a Publix at Universal? I'm all about delicious subs, and sure it might not be the most ORIGINAL thing in the world, but guess what, they're damn delicious.

Someone will have to google Publix in the area. But I will agree, they do a very good job at the top basics without playing artsy fartsy.

I love artsy fartsy... but sometimes I am just hungry for a classic American sandwich and they do it admirably.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone will have to google Publix in the area. But I will agree, they do a very good job at the top basics without playing artsy fartsy.

I love artsy fartsy... but sometimes I am just hungry for a classic American sandwich and they do it admirably.

Addendum: What is with the fixation on Bill Paxton? Is it an inside joke?

Just wanted to make a point, please compare the size on DA to that of the kong area. Jaws closed jan 2nd 2012, didnt start building later until they disassembled everything, filled up the water with land, then got the permits they needed.

Kong doesnt need anything taken down to the extent that jaws had to go through, can file permits much faster and has a easier ride system and area than DA.

Why would this open in 2016?! :(

kong-vs-DA

- - - Updated - - -

Link http://www.mapfab.com/map/F68/kong-vs-DA

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum: What is with the fixation on Bill Paxton? Is it an inside joke?

Podcast related joke, but I think people just kind of like the guy because he is funny.

Exactly. We can just have a good place to get sandwiches and salads and it be a great addition. Panera does it right and I really think this is going for that type of atmosphere and menu.

So tell me about your last visit to a Bread Box and their Publix's quality sandwiches? Maybe just for you they can make a Midol Sandwich.
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think Publix makes damn fine sandwiches. I would be more than happy if Bread Box offers Publix quality.

I think it's very exciting, especially Cowfish. Good variety, even sandwiches and hotdogs... seems like they'll be gourmet :thumbs:

I'm excited for the Italian place. I love the diversity...

And don't be hatin on no publix sammiches! Them some good sammiches!

And I suggest everyone get a Bill Paxton avatar :rofl:

All these additions are absolutely awesome! Being a hotdog fan, I voted for the Hotdog Hall of Fame.

Wasn't sure about that Cowfish place until I checked the menu online; it looks fantastic! Not a big fan of the sushi concepts, but the burger selection is most definitely appetizing. Can't wait for this!

Also digging the Italian, Mexican, and sandwich places.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn