CityWalk Waterfront Redesign | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Waterfront Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The golf course rests on what was dead space beforehand, so I agree with it. These new docks are great opportunities for more food and relaxation options at the resort. It's what the hotels have that uninformed or lazier people want instantly in CityWalk, and it kind of fits in with the new merch carts added not too long ago. The hills were a bit awkward as well, since sitting on them yielded a grade too steep for a picnic or anything like it. As long as their designs are nice, I'm all for these new docks.

Perhaps they will cut vertically into the hillside and build shallow mini shops? I don't see the appeal. After thinking about it, this is right up there with the golf course. Monetize every square inch of green space in Citywalk. I suggest that these moves will bite them in the long run and sit idle most of the time in the future.

It's like they missed the entire point of the Lorax :bonk:

Maybe you'll be able to "rent" one of the decks and have like a mini party area. I'm thinking about when they have some of these VIP events at City Walk and they have to close off a chunk of the sidewalk. Now they could move the party's to the decks and leave the main sidewalks alone. I know the decks aren't really big but some of them have 2 levels and connect to other ones.

These new docks are great opportunities for more food and relaxation options at the resort.

I don't think we really need more food options in CityWalk. I haven't even been to all the food spots in CityWalk in the years that I've been visiting the resort. Just look at the huge list of options:

1 Emeril's Restaurant Orlando
2 Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville
3 Bob Marley - A Tribute to Freedom
4 The Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
5 Hard Rock Cafe Orlando
6 Latin Quarter
7 NASCAR Sports Grill
8 NBA City
9 Pastamoré Ristorante & Market
10 Pat O'Brien's
11 Big Kahuna Pizza at the Red Coconut Club
12 Burger King Whopper Bar
13 Moe's Southwest Grill
14 Panda Express
15 Fusion Bistro Sushi & Sake Bar

That's a lot of food spots, and these are only in the CityWalk area.

Perhaps they will cut vertically into the hillside and build shallow mini shops? I don't see the appeal. After thinking about it, this is right up there with the golf course. Monetize every square inch of green space in Citywalk. I suggest that these moves will bite them in the long run and sit idle most of the time in the future.

They show trees surrounding the decks in the concept art. I'd say we hold off on the death of nature talk until we see a finished product. Or hell, until they announce the thing.

And to be honest, CityWalk is one of the last places I want to hang out right now outside of the bars, and I'd venture a guess a lot of people feel that way. But with the mini-golf being added, and this possibly adding a nice hang out, I'd hope they're trying to change that.

--- Update ---

I don't think we really need more food options in CityWalk. I haven't even been to all the food spots in CityWalk in the years that I've been visiting the resort. Just look at the huge list of options:

5 Hard Rock Cafe Orlando
6 Latin Quarter
7 NASCAR Sports Grill
8 NBA City
10 Pat O'Brien's
13 Moe's Southwest Grill
14 Panda Express

They need more places outside, and better quick options. Because the fastfood there is pretty putrid for the most part.

And to be honest, CityWalk is one of the last places I want to hang out right now outside of the bars, and I'd venture a guess a lot of people feel that way. But with the mini-golf being added, and this possibly adding a nice hang out, I'd hope they're trying to change that.

I have to agree, but I think it's for the most part because I'd rather spend all my time and energy in the theme parks. Though I have played the mini golf, and watched movies at the cinema, and eaten at some of the restaurants, and I had good experiences so far.

They need more places outside, and better quick options. Because the fastfood there is pretty putrid for the most part.

Maybe they need more seating outside, but the last 5 out of those 15 places in the list are fast food / quick options. That's a third of the options. Also, maybe they're not the most haute cuisine food places, but they work for fast food.

A new waterfront shopping and dining complex for CityWalk? Umm... YES PLEASE. This makes perfect sense for that side of the area. Not sure why anyone is confused by it.

A new waterfront shopping and dining complex for CityWalk? Umm... YES PLEASE. This makes perfect sense for that side of the area. Not sure why anyone is confused by it.

It's because all that we know about so far is a bunch of decks. And that does not make much sense.

I cannot figure out what compelled to do this. I am not saying that it shouldn't be done but that I cannot figure out what made Universal to feel it was necessary. So I am asking someone to offer to me what Citywalk was missing in order for this to be a necessary solution. Teebin doesn't get it.

I doubt that the motivation for this addition came from the feeling that Citywalk was missing something, but more so from the opportunity presented by this relatively unused area. This is a great opportunity for Universal to do something unique, and I would guess that it will also assist with traffic in the area... or possibly make it worse. :inquisitive: I suppose time will tell.

Yeah... a wee bitty bit of me worries that this is what we get when the money comes in. We get great and not-so-great. Projects greenlit when perhaps they did not warrant it. I will watch and judge in 3 years. How is that coke tv kiosk thing coming along?

5 Hard Rock Cafe Orlando
6 Latin Quarter
7 NASCAR Sports Grill
8 NBA City
10 Pat O'Brien's
13 Moe's Southwest Grill
14 Panda Express

I tend to actually eat alot in Citywalk. Alot more than I normally do at Downtown Disney, so I really don't mind the addition of more places. I'd really love a full Asian/Japanese restaurant though.

a photo of construction already underway I took
DSC02459.jpg

Reactions: ReelJustice
^That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than just replacement of railings. So it's crystal clear that what ParkRumors dug up is in fact happening.

Side note: does anyone know how/if this will affect when shows like ellen tape with a live audience at CityWalk?

does anyone know how/if this will affect when shows like ellen tape with a live audience at CityWalk?

I cannot see where it would affect it much at all. The tiered staircase will remain. They might close off the two new additions on either side, otherwise, I cannot see how it could affect any future shows. Too, it is apparent that they will still have the same amount of room to drive in production trucks.

I cannot see where it would affect it much at all. The tiered staircase will remain. They might close off the two new additions on either side, otherwise, I cannot see how it could affect any future shows. Too, it is apparent that they will still have the same amount of room to drive in production trucks.

They also have soundstages. I'm pretty sure they did it outside so they could have more people there.