Coaster coming to SeaWorld California in 2012 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Coaster coming to SeaWorld California in 2012

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
At least they had different names. Whoever is change of naming things for the SeaWorld parks needs to be fired.

Just sayin': Revenge of the Mummy, E.T Adventure, Back to the Future: The Ride, The Simpsons Ride, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, etc.

I personally don't mind the whole name/theme thing. However, the video recreation was fairly lame. I'll wait until construction begins before judging the ride.

Just sayin': Revenge of the Mummy, E.T Adventure, Back to the Future: The Ride, The Simpsons Ride, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, etc.

Man, this is completely different. Those are all extremely similar rides or clones. This is a totally different (in my opinion, worse, because the point of the Manta theme was so you could fly, not so you could ride a coaster) ride with the same name and logo.

I personally don't mind the whole name/theme thing. However, the video recreation was fairly lame. I'll wait until construction begins before judging the ride.
That's a problem that Uni, Disney, and Six Flags has always had. Universal and Disney has stoped doing it as much, Six Flags still does. Busch, the most creative of any park chain have always stayed original.

Last edited:
Concept art looks cool except for the vehicle. It doesn't look like it'll be half as good as Orlando's, but that would be hard to do anyway. :lol:

From Screamscape:

2012 - Manta - Confirmed - (2/18/11) I’ve been sent an update map showing off the location and ride layout of the new Manta coaster project. It’s a bit dark, so I tried to lighten it up to show off the details better. We can see now that the ride will extender closer towards the Rocky Point exhibit and Shipwreck Rapids, as well as all the way up into the empty ‘bowl’ are across from the Skyride. Enjoy the new layout and the overlay of it over an aerial photo of the park.

From Screamscape:

2012 - Manta - Confirmed - (4/21/11) A Screamscape reader went by SeaWorld the other day to check on the status of Manta and sent in a great shot taken from the Skytower showing off what a huge construction site they’ve cleared out for this project. For the most part, it looks like they have already demolished the majority of the oldest surviving structures that were still in the park from the old days… back when there was nothing but a parking lot where the current Shamu Stadium is and the old entrance used to cross over a turtle pond about where the bottom of the Shipwreck Rapids lift hill now sits. (Ok… I’m showing my age I guess.)

db_2011_0420_Manta1.jpg

Construction began on March 16, 2011 (according to SWSD Facebook).

And also from SoCalCoasters at ThemeParkReview:

Ok, I got some interesting info on Manta today, from some park spokespersons at the Scout Fair in San Diego.

-Forbidden Reef is gone for good, it will not be returning. Manta will be taking up it's area now.

-The Mantas have been moved to the Aquarium in the Journey To Atlantis gift shop for the time being.

-A large section of the back of the park will be closed for the next year, so watch out for bottlenecking over by Shipwreck, especially when One Ocean gets out...

-Construction has already started.

-It is unknown whether or not the Bat Ray feeding will return in this new area. Odds are not in its favor sadly :(

- The queue and gift shops will have aquariums.

Last edited:
BUMP! :p
Update from Screamscape
(1/18/12) SeaWorld San Diego unveiled one of the Manta ride cars at the park a few hours ago and were kind enough to send us pictures of it to share here on Screamscape. The car will remain on display near the front of the park for the next several months while work on Manta continues.
....The park reports that Manta is still on track to open on May 26th, with 55% of the track now installed, and the rest to be in place before the end of February. The station is about 65% complete and they will begin construction on the “launch tunnel / show building” next week. If everything stays on track, ride testing will begin in April.

Here are pics of concept art, track in the process of being installed, and the sit-down ride vehicle:

db_2011_1205_Manta11.jpg

db_2011_1205_Manta51.jpg

db_2011_1102_Manta41.jpg

db_2011_1117_MantaCar1.jpg

db_2012_0117_MantaCar21.jpg

db_2012_0117_MantaCar11.jpg

New behind-the-scenes video on the latest progress of Manta

[video=youtube;PPql-0S7bFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPql-0S7bFI[/video]

Reactions: Felipe
^ That's interesting! So if I understand correctly, after you get on the vehicle, you are going to be in a sort of movie room watching video of manta rays before you launch? Sounds cool!

SeaWorld released the followup video to the one posted above. It is indeed interesting how their can be sister attractions in other parks but have key differences.

[video=youtube;_OtGdQLUhT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OtGdQLUhT0[/video]

Last edited:
From 10NEWS.com
SAN DIEGO -- The last section of track was put into place Monday for SeaWorld's Manta coaster, which is set to open in late May.

"This is an exciting milestone in this project. Construction continues to go very well and we're on track for a May 26 opening," said John Reilly, park president.

30613259_640X480.jpg

Really gonna try to skip out of LA for a day to ride this in a couple months. Between Manta, Carsland, Transformers, updated Matterhorn, and Lex Luthors Drop of Doom it gonna be a real tough choice to cut anyone out of the schedule.

Can't get the video to embed properly. =/

Here is the article where you can see the video of them placing the last piece of track.

Last edited: