1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Disney' started by Nick C., Jun 25, 2017.

?

What D23 Parks Announcement are you most excited about?

1. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Details + Model

2. Ratataouille Addition to France Pavilion

3. Guardians of the Galaxy ride (replacing Universe of Energy)

4. Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (replacing The Great Movie Ride)

5. Tron Shanghai Clone addition to Tomorrowland

6. Disney Skyliner

7. Pixar Pier/Pixar Fest + Paint The Night return

8. Marvel Land at DCA

9. Star Wars Hotel

10. New Theatre on Main Street

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hairyleo

hairyleo Veteran Member

I can't really see them bringing an abridged version of any of their broadway shows. Disney Broadway is an entirely different beast, and the cost is extravagant. They would not only be abridged, but cheapened out of necessity. No, Disney Theatrics and Disney Parks & Resorts will always remain separate entities, imo. I also don't see them doing anything with Freaky Friday, or anything else that doesn't offer a lot of great opportunities for tech and design. (That being said, a Newsies show would be fun)

I would love to see a Moana show, personally^
    The princess movies make for a quick and dirty transition to a pint-sized stage show, and Moana has the perfect opportunities for some grand theatre magic. These shows try to make up in Wow Factor what they lack in proper narrative.

Joe and SeventyOne like this.
  2. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

That was just the recent show Disney is working on for Broadway that didn't do as well as hoped just like Hunchback and Aladdin originally.

3. hairyleo

hairyleo Veteran Member

I'm familiar! Love Heidi Blickenstaff. But in any case, its too plainly musical theatre for the Disney Parks. My point was they are going to pick a show that is flashy and fantastical to please the demographic.

But I should say that just because an IP has a Broadway musical, doesn't mean it's not fair game. The Disney Cruise line is premiering a new Beauty and the Beast show (that looks gorgeous) that's not based on the Broadway version at all. And Frozen is performing at the Hyperion even though the Broadway-aimed production begins its out-of-town performances in a few weeks. So just something to consider.

But, if they really wanted to throw a curve ball with this new theatre, they'd put in an abridged production of Aida :lol:

Off topic: but I so wish Hunchback got a longer life. It wasn't that it did poorly, it was actually pretty well received by audiences at La Jolla and Papermill Playhouse and in my opinion it was one of Disney Theatric's best productions. It definitely had guts. But finding a Broadway theatre can be difficult and expensive, and this was certainly a bit darker and heavier than Disney's other shows. So already having 2 shows on Broadway raking in big bucks, they decided not to go ahead with this third "risky" production. There's no denying Hunchback is the red-headed step-child of the Disney Renaissance: beloved by some, generally forgotten about by most. Despite being a gorgeous show, they didn't want to risk not pulling the numbers, so they put it up for licensing. Even though I still fully believe Michael Arden would have won a Tony for Quasimodo.

SeventyOne likes this.
  4. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Well, now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor, here are my thoughts:

1) This was a fantastic showing. While I don't think anything announced Saturday looks legitimately great (Mickey ride could have been if they picked an art style that doesn't look awful), everything looks at the baseline to be very good.

2) TRON and Ratatouille not replacing anything and being a brand new build is the biggest win, IMO. Disney World replaces things far too often considering the "blessing of size" line they tout far too often.

3) The Guardians ride justification is complete and utter BS. Would like to know what the ride actually is though, especially with the UOE building remaining.

4) A big, live action show for MK is what the doctor ordered. Real good move there. Really hope it's TANGLED related

5) Star Wars Hotel pricing is absurd. I see it being a big hit for a few years, but I'm not convinced it's sustainable.

6) Minnie Vans is still so dumb (IMO)

Overall this was a great showing, and Universal can't coast while Disney builds like this. Nintendo is going to be better than anything we saw this weekend (IMO), but that's all we know is coming in the next 5 years. There needs to be more.

All-in-all, this is more proof that 2010-present is a golden age in themed entertainment. Very exciting times ahead.

jtsalien, Nick C., Brian G. and 6 others like this.
  5. Legacy

Legacy Member

I have always thought "On The Record" was a ready-made theme park show. It have been better suited where BatB: Live is at DHS (recording studio theme after all), but it's a 2 hour revue of Disney songs both obscure and popular. Add music and structure it similar to Voices of Liberty where every show uses a different set-list you have something compelling and rewatchable.

That said, despite the initial excitement for all of this, it's going to be, what, five years before it's all completed? It gives me plenty of time to save, but I don't want to go until everything announced is complete.

Joe likes this.
  6. Bulldog45

Bulldog45 Newcomer

Do we know the location of the Stars Wars Hotel?

7. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Veteran Member

There was a rumor that it was going to be across the street from DHS. That might end up being the Riviera hotel though.

8. AliciaStella

AliciaStella Premium Member

According to Jim Hill a month ago, it'll be built in the bottom half of the new DHS parking lot expansion, directly next to Star Wars land.

The World Drive DHS park entrance is getting a new road on the other side and the current World Drive entrance becomes the new hotel entrance. If that makes sense.

9. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

Sometimes I am so behind on news. I just read on twitter that The Great Movie Ride will be closing Aug 13? To what end is it closing?

10. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Veteran Member

When it closes, it's never opening again. See it while you can!

11. AliciaStella

Where have you been that you missed that?

Here's my summary:

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be taking over The Great Movie Ride, which will have its last day of operation August 13, 2017. The new ride will be based on the hilarious Mickey Shorts shown on the Disney Channel. You’ll step through the movie screen and join Mickey and his friends like never before. The ride will utilize a new projection mapping technology as well as multi-dimensional set-pieces that give the illusion of 3-dimensions, without the use of 3D glasses.

Forum discussion: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway | Inside Universal Forums

MickeyRide_thumb01.jpg

Teebin and Mike S like this.
  12. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

I have been in the forest, searching for myself and the meaning of life... :saywhat:

JoeCamel, Mike S and AliciaStella like this.
  13. AliciaStella

Gallivanting about in the forest while we're all stuck in the weeds, sorting through the mess of all these announcements. Sheesh.

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

The Forbidden Forest, Pa. branch location;)

15. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

Yeah, I will pitch a tent on your vast lawn for you to sleep in. Meanwhile, I will take the master bedroom and yell if I need anything. ;)

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

And I will have Alene wait on you hand & foot in return for parcels of Universal Insider info. :lol:...and you can contemplate the chilling nightly sounds emanating from my very own Forbidden Forest, which you have seen the proofs of. :yikes:....

17. Sledge

Sledge Veteran Member

[​IMG]

18. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

I'd be interested to see a poll to see what everybody here is most excited for.

19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Start a poll thread. :)

Disneyhead likes this.
  20. tyro

tyro Newcomer

I think the mass dump of information has the GP confused. I was talking to a friend about the announcements who visits once a year or so and she thought guardians was replacing ToT and they moved Star Wars land to Frontierland, And they were closing Rockin roller coaster for Mickey. :bonk: