Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I grew up in the 80s, does everyone forget we had video games and TV back then? It isn't like technology is a new thing. When I was 13 I didn't have as many toys, just like my 13 year old. But I did when I was younger as do my kids. My son who is 6 plays with legos, cars, and transformers all the time. I don't know a single family who feels they have less toys in their house. We all wonder when we can finally have a house not filled with toys. Most of us talk about how our kids have MORE toys than we did!

I see 2 things,
1. the difference from the 80s is that we didn't have social media or tiktok. if you wanted to talk to a friend you actually had to go outside, you had to call on your phone home that was usually in the kitchen or living room, had to talk in front of everyone ( no I didn't have a private line)
technology was there but you only had 1 or 2 TVs in a room, and only had cable, it's way different now,
a kid wakes up today and immediately goes to his smart phone, almost all conversation could be done on social media. it's legitimately addicting, there's like a crisis going on. online addiction. social media addiction.
2. the thing about kids today having more toys is true, but it's not necessarily action figures, my nephew mostly has plushies or puppet toys or Legos mostly, I don't think he owns any actual action figures, he has a lot of building stuff

I see 2 things,
1. the difference from the 80s is that we didn't have social media or tiktok. if you wanted to talk to a friend you actually had to go outside, you had to call on your phone home that was usually in the kitchen or living room, had to talk in front of everyone ( no I didn't have a private line)
technology was there but you only had 1 or 2 TVs in a room, and only had cable, it's way different now,
a kid wakes up today and immediately goes to his smart phone, almost all conversation could be done on social media. it's legitimately addicting, there's like a crisis going on. online addiction. social media addiction.
2. the thing about kids today having more toys is true, but it's not necessarily action figures, my nephew mostly has plushies or puppet toys or Legos mostly, I don't think he owns any actual action figures, he has a lot of building stuff
It also depends on the age of the child and also their interests. At the end of the day toy sales are not suffering.

I see 2 things,
I had a phone line and TV in my room. I also had a ton of toys. 100% we have an issue with social media, it is why me and all of my 13 year old friends parents have banned social media from our kids phones. They will never have them period until they are 18. They can call/text just like I could call. But you are talking about pre-teens and teens and at those points every kid tends to play with less toys. I did board and card games with my friends and my kids also play board games. Is times different? Yes, but the progression away from physical toys is no different now than it was before to effect toy sales.

Every kid is different. My son (age 6) loves transformers and my daughter (age 9) loves Bluey. So they have all those types of action figures. My nephew loves Dinosaurs and paw patrol (getting away from paw patrol now that older) and so has all of those figures. They also have legos, but I would have loved legos. I so badly wanted legos as a kid to build. So my kids all loving legos doesn't shock me. They actually have all of my husband's old legos in addition to theirs. So my husband also played with legos as a kid. It is very much a mix. Barbies and LOL are VERY popular amongst girls. Which are doll figures.

You can't look at one kid and say, well they did this so everyone does. Because every kid was different in the 80s as every kid is different now. But overall all parents get together and complain about the mess in their house from toys and can't wait for the toy phase to be over.

I'm really shocked that "Cinnamon Bread Mania!" hasn't ensued since the announce. I think that was a HUGE announcement, and so would most people who know the cinnamon bread from Dollywood and Silver Dollar City.

The twisted taters made a bigger ripple around here...
I said I will be excited when I taste it because Dollywood/SDC bar is set really high and not sure they can reach that bar or not.

I'm really shocked that "Cinnamon Bread Mania!" hasn't ensued since the announce. I think that was a HUGE announcement, and so would most people who know the cinnamon bread from Dollywood and Silver Dollar City.

The twisted taters made a bigger ripple around here...

It caught my eye, they just need to sell it in those aluminum pans and we’ll have people taking it back to the room like voodoo!

It caught my eye, they just need to sell it in those aluminum pans and we’ll have people taking it back to the room like voodoo!
And it better be hot when they give it to me. Burn my fingers hot.

I don't understand the voodoo craze, I personally didn't like them. Which I thought I was the odd one out and was talking to my friends and found out they all disliked them too lol

I'm late reacting to the news, but wow I'm absolutely in love with the aesthetic here and how the land looks with the likes of the burning windmill and Frankenstein's manor. I did see some reactions when Epic was first officially unveiled to the effect of "wait really? a land based on that failed cinematic universe? :lmao: " but I think in the end this was a super creatively inspired land that may be the surprise star of the park for a lot of people.

My personal worry is just that I may need to enjoy the land on foot and stay clear of the rides because a spinning coaster and a ride akin to Forbidden Journey would definitely rank near the top on how to trigger my motion sickness. The dark ride does sound super cool though, so maybe I'll just have to load up on dramamine and attempt it at least once at the very end of a day.

I really hope we get to see the Mask of Red Death on Monsters Unleashed. It’s one of the coolest designs ever and it looked incredible at HHN last year