Disney Cracking Down on Selfie Sticks | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Cracking Down on Selfie Sticks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You know, thinking about it, I only ever hear about this being an issue at Disney. Is it an issue at Universal as well?
I got one to the back of the head at HHN last year. I almost grabbed it and broke it over my knee, but I didn't want to get banned my first trip.

I got one to the back of the head at HHN last year. I almost grabbed it and broke it over my knee, but I didn't want to get banned my first trip.
I'm sorry to hear that. I just haven't been to the parks since the selfie-stick craze, so I wasn't aware of whether or not it was noticeably a problem a Universal.

As what others have said, this was definitely a smart move by Disney. Considering the amount of people trying to sneak/use them on rides and causing e-stops, a park-wide ban really is the way to go.

Reactions: SweeneysGalMegz
This was a necessary move.

Selfie sticks were banned for one reason:

All rides have a "sphere" around the ride vehicle (what they call the "envelope") that's free of props, supports, and objects. They determine the size of this envelope by considering the tallest person in the world reaching up with his hands -- and then a distance beyond that. If you look at the shape of the hole in the building that Hollywood RRR goes through... that's the envelope.

During ride testing, they will mount a device to the ride vehicle that reaches out into this envelope and they run the ride to ensure the device doesn't hit any objects.

The advent of the selfie stick introduces a new factor that was heretofore unthought of. Nobody ever imagined that people would be carrying extendable poles around in their pickets and wanting to use them on rides. The extendable pole exceeds the safety envelope. They can't expand the safety envelopes on all rides, so they just banned the sticks. Imagine if someone extends their selfie stick on Space Mountain, it hits a support, and the guest gets impaled. Not good.

So it has nothing to do with Disney not wanting people taking pictures of themselves, or getting poked in the eye from another guest standing in line.

First the selfie stick, next the double wide strollers.....Please, please ban the double wides. There's not that many twins born into the world......And then ban ECV's , eight year old kids in strollers, regular strollers & Mickey ear hats, then Disney will rule the world.

First the selfie stick, next the double wide strollers.....Please, please ban the double wides. There's not that many twins born into the world......And then ban ECV's , eight year old kids in strollers, regular strollers & Mickey ear hats, then Disney will rule the world.

There really needs to be an age or size limit on stroller rentals, unless your child is ill or disabled. The kids and parents need to not be lazy and walk!

This was a necessary move.

Selfie sticks were banned for one reason:

All rides have a "sphere" around the ride vehicle (what they call the "envelope") that's free of props, supports, and objects. They determine the size of this envelope by considering the tallest person in the world reaching up with his hands -- and then a distance beyond that. If you look at the shape of the hole in the building that Hollywood RRR goes through... that's the envelope.

During ride testing, they will mount a device to the ride vehicle that reaches out into this envelope and they run the ride to ensure the device doesn't hit any objects.

The advent of the selfie stick introduces a new factor that was heretofore unthought of. Nobody ever imagined that people would be carrying extendable poles around in their pickets and wanting to use them on rides. The extendable pole exceeds the safety envelope. They can't expand the safety envelopes on all rides, so they just banned the sticks. Imagine if someone extends their selfie stick on Space Mountain, it hits a support, and the guest gets impaled. Not good.

So it has nothing to do with Disney not wanting people taking pictures of themselves, or getting poked in the eye from another guest standing in line.
Great points.And if I remember correctly, they had to redo the tunnel entrances on the 7DMT Coaster because they miscalculated and someone nearly had an accident during media previews.

This is a case of people refusing to obey the rules of no selfie sticks on the rides and in the end resulting in banishment of the device from the park for all.

I think it's an issue for Universal too but probably not that much of a big one because they have the mandatory lockers for most rides and have people going through metal screenings on big rides now. Where as Disney doesn't have that, so it was easier for the people sneaking the sticks on.

Lets try not to verve to far from the selfie stick topic with strollers.

But I will say this will never happen with the stroller demographic one of Disney's key demos. And some of you who despise strollers will one day love them once you have kids and start experiencing mid day toddler melt downs :lol:

Reactions: MrRoamer
Was at MK today and saw countless selfie sticks. This just seems to be a laughably unenforceable ban tbh.

Was at MK today and saw countless selfie sticks. This just seems to be a laughably unenforceable ban tbh.

Ban starts 30th June. Latest is that they'll be taken at bag check, and stored for you to collect when you leave. Pretty simple