Disney Cracking Down on Selfie Sticks | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Cracking Down on Selfie Sticks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ban starts 30th June. Latest is that they'll be taken at bag check, and stored for you to collect when you leave. Pretty simple
Sounds simple right? So what happens when people learn that security is just there to make people feel all warm and fuzzy and they put it in a pocket or hell, just hold it? The things will get in pretty damn easy.

It then becomes the cast members' responsibility to approach guests and take it. I've worked in the parks and making only $9.50/hour, that just isn't enough a lot of the time to have to deal with the side affects of having to take something from a guest or do something that will make them upset at you, especially if you aren't assigned to deal with it. I can almost guarantee most CMs will turn a blind eye to selfie sticks if they see them.

Sounds simple right? So what happens when people learn that security is just there to make people feel all warm and fuzzy and they put it in a pocket or hell, just hold it? The things will get in pretty damn easy.

It then becomes the cast members' responsibility to approach guests and take it. I've worked in the parks and making only $9.50/hour, that just isn't enough a lot of the time to have to deal with the side affects of having to take something from a guest or do something that will make them upset at you, especially if you aren't assigned to deal with it. I can almost guarantee most CMs will turn a blind eye to selfie sticks if they see them.
They'll have to do something, else by turning a blind eye, the majority that don't bring one in that would like to, will be queuing up at GS to ask why some people are allowed.

Either way, the most important thing is that they will be significantly reduced in number if not gone.

Interesting to note that they are also banned in DLR, DLP and HKDL, but NOT Japan, where I believe this all started. The Japanese love taking photos!

Interesting to note that they are also banned in DLR, DLP and HKDL, but NOT Japan, where I believe this all started. The Japanese love taking photos!
Well, they also tend to be a little bit more respectful of the rules. If Disney says not to take them on rides, then most people wouldn't. Also, if it was a no selfie-sticks on the ride policy, I know at least USJ has CMs check your pockets before you get in lines to make sure they're empty so I don't see why Tokyo Disney couldn't/wouldn't as well unless they were worried about offending the American crowd.

Reactions: Jon84

As long as Disney declares a public ban, and security does a cursory check of bags for the sticks, then the company has absolved themselves of (most) responsibility if there were to be an incident.

They'll have to do something, else by turning a blind eye, the majority that don't bring one in that would like to, will be queuing up at GS to ask why some people are allowed.

Either way, the most important thing is that they will be significantly reduced in number if not gone.

Just like any other rules violations genera managers and security will assist CMs. When it comes to issues of safety Disney is stringent.

I'm sure they'll do the best they can, there's just so many people out and about with selfie sticks right now it will take an army to enforce it.

WDWNT has revealed the list of allowable monopods.

• Tripods that can be folded and stored in a reasonable size bag are allowed. Large tripods are not.
  • Extendable camera monopods are allowed.
  • GoPro brand name body and head harnesses are allowed.
  • Short, brand name GoPro handles are allowed.
  • Brand name or similar style GRIP & SHOOT handles are also allowed.
  • GoPro 3-way or similar style extending handles are now allowed.
  • Selfie sticks of any kind are not allowed.
You can see more info here:
Disney Reveals List of Allowable Guest Camera Accessory Items for Impending Selfie Stick Ban | WDW News Today

Reactions: Jon84
WDWNT has revealed the list of allowable monopods.

• Tripods that can be folded and stored in a reasonable size bag are allowed. Large tripods are not.
  • Extendable camera monopods are allowed.
  • GoPro brand name body and head harnesses are allowed.
  • Short, brand name GoPro handles are allowed.
  • Brand name or similar style GRIP & SHOOT handles are also allowed.
  • GoPro 3-way or similar style extending handles are now allowed.
  • Selfie sticks of any kind are not allowed.
You can see more info here:
Disney Reveals List of Allowable Guest Camera Accessory Items for Impending Selfie Stick Ban | WDW News Today

So now what constitutes a large tripod? Mine is pretty large when open but folds down do about 2ft and I store it in a bag when at the parks and not in use.

So now what constitutes a large tripod? Mine is pretty large when open but folds down do about 2ft and I store it in a bag when at the parks and not in use.

I guess they don't want something that can't be put away. So if it goes to 2 ft and you can pack it up, you should be fine.

Wow they are limiting it to GoPro branded harnesses and adapters only. Wonder how much of a boost that will be for them.

Dumb question, what's the difference between an extendable monopod and a selfie stick?

A traditional monopod is what you see all the photographers with huge zoom lenses on the sidelines of NFL games, pretty much a third leg to help you support the weight of a camera. Can be used like a selfie stick but not really what its meant to be. Ive seen selfie stick called extendable monopods which is really just a glorified named for a selfies stick :lol:

Large Tripod?:
1007918.jpg

Good to see Monopods, Gorillapods and the like will still be allowed.

Over on Reddit a DCA CM confirmed pretty much what we knew, the ban was definitely due to guests constantly trying to use them on rides and create a safety hazard/cause a e-stop etc.

In one way I'm stunned on why people thought using these on rides were a good idea, but then again this is general humanity we're talking about.

I know lockers get a lot of flak but simply having free lockers enables them to provide a safer experience while still allowing guests to use their stuff. Seriously Uni's locker system is one of the best amenities in all of the theme parks.

I think Disney's decision to ban selfie sticks has to be the most positive contribution they've made to WDW since 1982. Now hopefully that should be enough to stop the trend in other Orlando parks, but as a precaution Universal should follow suit ASAP.

I don't think selfie sticks pose a big problem to Universal. If you're on a ride you can't have them, here's a place to put them along with all your other junk. The problem comes from Disney's lack of decent storage for things that can cause problems and not easily monitored or stopped.