Disney to Buy Hasbro? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney to Buy Hasbro?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sequels can are based on a existing idea and Disney sequels have not had quality in those years (remember success in the box office does not mean people enjoyed it, example Pirates). Many of the new films made by Disney have been low budget. All the major budget movies have been sequels or remakes, except for one which was a major flop due to it horrible quality. I will get you Wreck It Ralph mostly because I have never heard of it at all, Disney never advertises out her unless its Pirates or TS. There is a massive lack of quality control in recent Disney movies.

Many of the international parks have been very unsuccessful and they are working hard to try and get them to be profitable. The same goes for Carsland trying to recover from their massive mistake. Also if you Disney doesn't pay for Toyko so they have nothing to do with the success or failure of the park. It can't be classed as being in the Disney corp.

Gonna have to disagree big time. They promoted the hell out of Wreck-it Ralph. Just because you didn't catch it, doesn't mean it wasn't marketed wonderfully. While you are right that Box Office does not mean quality, here is a list of movies that Disney have put out in the past 5 years that have been well-received (Anything more than 70% "Fresh" Rating):

Bolt
Tangled
Princess and the Frog
Wreck-it Ralph
Up
Winnie the Pooh
Toy Story 3
Brave
Enchanted
The Muppets

And if I'm wrong, the only sequel (or remake) are The Muppets, Winnie the Pooh (technically) and TS 3. Most of the films not only were well-received, but they were also successful in the box office. Granted there have been missteps, but any studio has them.

As far as the International Parks go, it's not due to lack of quality, but lack of substance. Anything Eisner has done to undo Disney, Iger has done a pretty decent job catching up and rectifying many of the errors. Disneyland though is a wonderful resort, and I'd rather much spend a lot more of my days there then in Orlando. TDO has it's issues, however it's is not the whole company.

FWIW, I don't get why people single out Disney as a soulless studio who only cares for money.... All studios do that.

Either way, I think purchasing Hasbro is a bit much now.

FWIW, I don't get why people single out Disney as a soulless studio who only cares for money.... All studios do that.

Either way, I think purchasing Hasbro is a bit much now.

I don't agree with purchasing Hasbro at all. I'm just tired of the piling on people have been doing. The blinders people have for the rest of the corporate and specifically Hollywood world are incredible.

If you don't understand / believe what I said about apple then you clearly have no idea about that industry.

Quality of a park is not just on if the park has good theming etc. It also has to do with if you can spent a full day there and is apply to satisfy people.

Comparing California Adventure to UO is a bit harsh on UO because it wasn't failing when it was built right next door to the most famous theme park in the world and one of the busiest. UO was not known for anything, it had no major attraction to it, for people who had never heard of it to hear of it. People couldn't miss CA since it was advertised with Disneyland. It goes to show people didn't enjoy the park.

There really is no reason for Disney to not advertise here. We are not as small of a market as much of the world makes us out to be, plus the fact they charge double here for everything, makes them even more money. The other companies realise this and we get marketing from them, from Disney we get almost nothing. Toy Story 3 was hardly even advertised, the only proper advertising was Pirated 4 and Avengers. As well as the fact the US is not a big of a decider as it used to be in the success of a movie, which it used to have 90% of the sales. This has only occured in recent years but the international market is now bringing in around 50%+ in the earnings. This change was evident during the release of MIB3, people first deemed it as a failure as they had only received the US earnings and they were used to it being the mass majority of the earnings. Then they found out when the international results came in the film became a success. Skyfall is another example. Its only just ready for release in the US yet its over $200 000 and it hasn't even been released to much of the International audience.

You can specifically see who the nasty companies are in industries by the way they work together. If you look at many of the companies they will work together, Disney almost never works with anyone, this would be understandable if they were the biggest company that was way out in front but they are not. Disney has lost the Walt touch. It also shows they don't want to work with anyone by making things completely in house. A lot of the time this makes things cheaper but also lowers the advancements of the company as they no longer are self focused, as well as losing much of the business they once would of had with other studios.

Last edited:
ESPN only dominates the sports world because they are like the tour groups in the theme parks. They are loud,overbearing and everywhere. Don't get me wrong I like ESPN but Iger has made some weird decisions since taking them over. Monday Night Football was moved from ABC to.Espn...why? Not everyone can afford or even wants cable or satellite service. Back on the topic this deal may not go through figuring the amount of money Disney would have to.cough up. Hasbro owns over 25 different IPs and some of them like GiJoe and Transformers are worth tens of billions worldwide. Maybe if Disney just bought Kenner from Hasbro they wouldn't have to spend as much and that would give Disney complete control over most of the.Star Wars toy lines as Hasbro uses Kenner to sell their toys. :cheers: But take that with a grain of salt. I'm only a geek and have been plugged into the toy industry since I've been 7 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with your thoughts on UO CruiseShipFan :thumbs: DCA is directly south of Disneyland so it's not too hard to spot :rofl:

You can't even put the Tokyo parks into the same conversation in your pro Disney comments. These parks aren't owned or even operated by The Disney Company. And yes Disney has had it's recent share pf failures that are quickly forgotten and shoved away like a child they are embarrased of. So why wasn't DisneySea bulit in Long Beach like it was originally planned? How long did it take WDW to start operating in the black? I just don't see how people can complain about Eisner? He brought the WDW out of an economic depression that almost saw the shut down of WDW at least on a small scale. I can remember days back in the 80s in Magic Kingdom in peak season where most if not all of the attractions were walk ons. So anyones argument that "Disney doesn't have financial failures" is invalid. As far as the marketing of films overseas it's extremely limited and yet people still turn out even though ticket prices in Europe and Asia are beyond ridiculous...usually twice of what we pay over here.

People on Disney sites already trying to get a Transformers ride built, and the rumors of a purchase aren't even that solid.

For that reason alone I don't want this to happen.

^No surprise there. But I'm sure people loved the traffic they got from this one.

Kenner made sense. Hasbro doens't. No smoke, no fire.

^No surprise there. But I'm sure people loved the traffic they got from this one.

Kenner made sense. Hasbro doens't. No smoke, no fire.

Yea, other than owning the means of production of the SW/Marvel toys, the Hasbro line at large doesn't mesh with Disney, IMO. GI Joe and Transformers being the line's biggest franchise, and both are really un-Disney.

Yea, other than owning the means of production of the SW/Marvel toys, the Hasbro line at large doesn't mesh with Disney, IMO. GI Joe and Transformers being the line's biggest franchise, and both are really un-Disney.

Totally agree. And from a company perspective, why go after something you can't control in all mediums?

Latest news on this deal...this is a no go according to TFW :thumbs: I remember hearing,years ago that Mattel approached Disney about a line of Hot Wheels cars using Disney characters as the inspiration but Disney wasn't interested. However two years later Disney releases their line of Disney Racers.. :rofl: It's not that Disney is a bad company.it's just that whoever is in charge of their business side doesn't like collaborating with other companies unless they can have complete control. Mattel wanted these cars to be sold everywhere not just at DLR and WDW and Disney said.....no. Doesn't make sense to me but hey I'm only a stockholder :cheers:

ESPN only dominates the sports world because they are like the tour groups in the theme parks. They are loud,overbearing and everywhere.

Don't even get me started on ESPN, especially what they've done/are doing to the world of college sports. Bristol needs to be reigned in big time, but that's a completely different topic.

On Hasbro...unless they want just the Kenner division, they're looking at another gigantic purchase price, and I don't think the shareholders (or accountants, for that matter) would allow it, no matter the potential returns. The company has spent $8 billion in the last few years purchasing companies, and they'll want to see some very equitable returns before they approve another major purchase.