Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was lucky enough to do one of the private reseveres in Kruger National Park, maybe 8-9 years ago. We stayed for 3-4 nights and do two drives a day. While technically you could say both Kruger and AK are safaris, it was night and day different. Hands down the best vacation experience I have ever had, and counting down the days till my kids are old enough to go (place we stayed requires everyone to be 11 and up I think).

You truly feel you are one wild, because you are. Open air jeeps that hold maybe a dozen people, although we never had more than 6. You get so close to the animals, never know what you are going to come across, and even the 5am wake up calls were not that bad. We were also lucky enough to stay at a really nice resort, so even the downtimes between drives were amazing.

I love AK, but it could not even compare to what we were able to do.

• Love
Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Not exactly what you’re asking, but my sister has been to Nepal and says that Asia in DAK basically nails it.

Haven’t been to Africa, and while I generally agree that DAK needs more rides, I also think the park doesn’t get enough credit for the ones that it has and view Kilimanjaro Safari as a top 5 WDI creation.
That’s a pretty solid endorsement of the Asia section. I can see how animals in the wild are close to animals in elaborate environments (why I asked) but for a theme park to emulate a location with impressive natural landscaping and unique architecture is pretty incredible.

I was lucky enough to do one of the private reseveres in Kruger National Park, maybe 8-9 years ago. We stayed for 3-4 nights and do two drives a day. While technically you could say both Kruger and AK are safaris, it was night and day different. Hands down the best vacation experience I have ever had, and counting down the days till my kids are old enough to go (place we stayed requires everyone to be 11 and up I think).

You truly feel you are one wild, because you are. Open air jeeps that hold maybe a dozen people, although we never had more than 6. You get so close to the animals, never know what you are going to come across, and even the 5am wake up calls were not that bad. We were also lucky enough to stay at a really nice resort, so even the downtimes between drives were amazing.

I love AK, but it could not even compare to what we were able to do.
This is more in line with what I was expecting before I started doing the comparisons. Thanks for sharing your experience! It does sound incredible.

My nephew went when he worked at a travel agency (it was free) and he didn't like it (I have to tell he loves animals). A ton of cars ride to an elephant and you can shoo ta picture. You go for the big 5 but he only got a zebra and an elephant.
I have heard to same from a former colleague of mine who had high hopes but it was a bit disappointing. They also did a safari in Asia and they saw all the animals, in the form of plastic statues that where placed at the end of the tour lol.
I also worked with a guy who toured the world for a year and I asked him what the most beautiful place was he ever visited. He told me every place has beauty but he never would visit south Africa as it was very un-save at the time. He did that all alone so that is a tough one. I did Egypt alone when I was 27 and I wouldn't suggest anyone to do that as it's tough.
Anyway, good luck and whatever you do I hope you have an amazing trip.

I have waded through the toxic cesspit of the WDW forums to bring you this glittering jewel...allegedly, Joe Rhode is back as a consultant and may formally be rehired.

EDIT: From the Vaughn rehired thread.
Well VG is dead in the water (Sky) so he has time

I used to go back and forth on Rhode but he puts a lot of care into all of his projects and most of them have turned out excellent.

Is he a little eccentric and overly detailed, yeah, but he's definitely up there talent wise
at the very least, he has some pull with the top to get his stuff greenlit.

Reactions: MrRoamer
I used to go back and forth on Rhode but he puts a lot of care into all of his projects and most of them have turned out excellent.

Is he a little eccentric and overly detailed, yeah, but he's definitely up there talent wise
I definitely would say he was one of the best artists at Imagineering, but really lacking in the show director/producer role when it comes to attractions.

Reactions: MrRoamer

at the very least, he has some pull with the top to get his stuff greenlit.

I definitely would say he was one of the best artists at Imagineering, but really lacking in the show director/producer role when it comes to attractions.
The only thing he did that actually still works is a "roadside carnival". And that killed someone. Oh, and that ride doesn't work anymore.