Disney's California Adventure Overhaul | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's California Adventure Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You know I'm having trouble remembering where I read it. I hit theme park sites and forums up all day. :shrug: I'm obsessed.

There's a great little update from around DCA over at Westcoaster

Radiator Springs is lookin' all nice and spiffy
012312-dca019-lrg.jpg

The Carthay Theater (restaurant) is getting its final touches, on the exterior at least
012312-dca029-lrg.jpg

Not to be debbie downer here but I'm just not loving the theater exterior yet....

Not to be debbie downer here but I'm just not loving the theater exterior yet....

I disagree with Fallow. It does look a little bland and beige at the moment, but when it's complemented by the rest of the architecture and liveliness of Buena Vista Street, I'm sure it will look a whole lot more appealing. Plus, it's not even open yet. :thumbs:

buena_vista_street_carthay_circle_theater_main_entrance06_original.png

^ Yeah I know, but being as I saw it a few months ago in person I am still not sure how it "fits." You know what I mean?

^Well yeah. In most photos, the back of it looks odd how it randomly stops with little attention paid to how it looks when you are walking to the front from Hollywood. :shrug:

I agree. It has absolutely no texture... no age. It looks very manufactured and plain.

Technically it's not supposed to be aged. The completed area is supposed to look like an idealized version of 20's-30's Burbank.

I'm reserving judgement until I can see it from down Buena Vista Street, not standing underneath it looking straight up.

I found some good photos of the real Carthay.

4172115565_905c6e6fc3.jpg

4674404365_e1e41f6003_o.jpg

Last edited:
Technically it's not supposed to be aged. The completed area is supposed to look like an idealized version of 20's-30's Burbank.

I'm reserving judgement until I can see it from down Buena Vista Street, not standing underneath it looking straight up.

I found some good photos of the real Carthay.

I agree. Does Main Street look aged? Same idea here. It seems like Disney did a wonderful job of staying true to the structure so far.

Well, it's not supposed to be Cinderella Castle either. But I would wait until the rest of Buena Vista Street is finished to judge how it works as part of the new and improved DCA entrance.

Yea, it kinda is. This is supposed to be the parks new symbol.

I disagree. I think Buena Vista street is much more of a complete symbol. The Castle can stand alone without Main Street, but I think the theater belongs with Buena Vista Street. The theater isn't the centralized theme, just part of it.

Exactly. It only serves as an important weenie. The entire theme of Buena Vista Street revolves around the intrinsic sights that Walt Disney saw in one amalgamation, the 'adventure' (or, rather, opportunity) he felt, so to speak. All that is reflected in the entrance area. However, just because Carthay is more of a visual attraction than the trolleys, they bear the same meaning behind them.

Now, it isn't the tallest or most embellished structure, of course, but when finished, it will blend in with the surrounding (and currently unplanted) flora. It isn't meant to be the next Cinderella Castle - in other words, the park's symbol - just a visual magnet. The reward of the "denial and reward" environment design.

Now if only the rest of the park was designed with such holistic principles beyond character inclusion within the parks... (sly dig at Cars Land and Bug's Life)

Last edited:
Well, that is one bland argument. :lol: Weenies lure people down a certain one-way lane of sorts. Like the alleged history behind the word 'weenie': going to a barbecue and being drawn instantly towards the food while being comforted by the familiar surroundings. The structure isn't completely themed yet, and its style, though not favorable to you obviously, is supposed to evoke a gleaming-white Spanish colonial notion, which was common during the 30s.

Reactions: jtsalien