Disney's California Adventure Overhaul | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's California Adventure Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Man, the Flying Tires look awesome! It sucks that capacity is so low that the waits will be forever to ride and no FastPass. Mater's on the other hand... I'm guessing the rumors of that ride's budget being so inflated must be wrong because if that crap cost more than $5 million, Disney needs to not be in business anymore.

It's a shame that the ego trip that is Radiator Springs Racers ate up all of Mater's budget. Because the ride actually looked really interesting from its first concept art.

Man, the Flying Tires look awesome! It sucks that capacity is so low that the waits will be forever to ride and no FastPass. Mater's on the other hand... I'm guessing the rumors of that ride's budget being so inflated must be wrong because if that crap cost more than $5 million, Disney needs to not be in business anymore.

I definitely agree about the Flying Tires. But I am curious as to how the general public will accept this ride.

It's a shame that the ego trip that is Radiator Springs Racers ate up all of Mater's budget. Because the ride actually looked really interesting from its first concept art.

Take this with a pound of salt, but earlier this summer, the budget for the Junkyard Jamboree was reported to be $100 million. :lol:

Take this with a pound of salt, but earlier this summer, the budget for the Junkyard Jamboree was reported to be $100 million. :lol:

Sadly, in today's engineering world that is entirely possible. It cost me $300 to get a wooden box fabricated at work. A friggin' box! :bonk:

I know, but that much money didn't go into that. By the look of what was built, less was spent on Mater than intended. And I'm sure the money went into RSR.

--- Update ---

Sadly, in today's engineering world that is entirely possible. It cost me $300 to get a wooden box fabricated at work. A friggin' box! :bonk:

There's no way that ride cost 100 million. Forbidden Journey only cost 94 million.

This concept art has Luigi's having two separate pits. Not sure if that's actually how it turned out, but it would a little more accommodating to the line than just having one.
33663522.jpg

Here's the initial concept art for Mater's:

maters-junkyard-jamboree-disney-california-adventure_56287991.jpg

And here's the "revised" concept art:

Picture-2-1024x531.png

They pretty much just removed anything interesting (i.e. anything that cost money) and replaced it with small stack of tires.

There's no way that ride cost 100 million. Forbidden Journey only cost 94 million.

Oh it absolutely could. With the current corporate structure and money to burn at WDI, they spend ridiculous amounts of money in absurd places. They make countless models, do countless tests. I'm not saying it had to, I'm saying it could.

Oh it absolutely could. With the current corporate structure and money to burn at WDI, they spend ridiculous amounts of money in absurd places. They make countless models, do countless tests. I'm not saying it had to, I'm saying it could.

I know how WDI spends money.

But if that ride came even CLOSE to 100 million, then people need to be fired.

They'll never fire enough to appease my anger.:lol:

And even if they did, they would replace them with someone worse. The culture at WDI is toxic. And it won't change until there is a radical structure change.

Everybody being canned but Joe Rohde and Tony Baxter would appease me :ears:

It's not WDI. Today's Disney culture is toxic. It won't change with Iger in charge either. He is just in love with the idea of a franchise as anyone else. We were given Lasseter at WDI as a false prophet. Unless an Eisner type is somehow installed when Iger retires, we're screwed. And let's be honest, that won't happen. :mean:

Everybody being canned but Joe Rohde and Tony Baxter would appease me :ears:

Meh...Joe can go to. Unless he's not allowed to work on rides and only does settings.:lol:

It's not WDI. Today's Disney culture is toxic. It won't change with Iger in charge either. He is just in love with the idea of a franchise as anyone else. We were given Lasseter at WDI as a false prophet. Unless an Eisner type is somehow installed when Iger retires, we're screwed. And let's be honest, that won't happen. :mean:

Well, it's a bit of both. WDI is no longer a house of ideas. It's a house of ego battling for their share of the celebrity and getting their stuff built or used, no matter what. I was told a story about how a project's price went up significantly because an Imagineer insisted on a special kind of paint, that in the end was indistinguishable from regular paint.

And yes, Iger is a huge problem. I know he "saved" the company, but in all honesty, the man did things any competent CEO would have done after taking power. His successor will be an interesting development. Staggs has been a mixed bag parks wise, and he doesn't seem all that dynamic.

And yea, for all his later failings, Eisner is the type of guy I want. He was dynamic and actively involved in the product. He's on the board of directors right now, and is the highest single stockholder since Jobs passed, so I'm hoping he's loud with his opinion when the succession comes.

I know how WDI spends money.

But if that ride came even CLOSE to 100 million, then people need to be fired.

Have you been on Little Mermaid yet? That supposedly cost $100 million and I.. don't.. see it. Disney has a bad problem when Universal can build better attractions at half the price.

Have you been on Little Mermaid yet? That supposedly cost $100 million and I.. don't.. see it. Disney has a bad problem when Universal can build better attractions at half the price.

Well at least that hast AA's. If Mater cost $100 mil, then they must have spent nearly $8 mil per vehicle... 'cause that's all that's there.

Even if AA's cost a million a pop, there's still like 90 million that needs to be accounted for. :lol:

Even if AA's cost a million a pop, there's still like 90 million that needs to be accounted for. :lol:

Oh, I'm not saying that ride should've cost that much... just that it seems literally impossible to have spent $100 mil on Mater, as there is very little to no themeing, no AA's and a very simple, carnival-style ride system.