Disney's Mulan (2020) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Mulan (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mulan is currently sitting at a 79% with 110 Reviews in. I'm hearing a lot of things like technically, visually, and the score are all great and it's a shame it isn't being released to theaters. The story seems to be where people have a mixed opinion. Apparently the movie is sort of similar to Wonder Woman in a lot of ways with the female-centric cast and the film being a war epic.

Mulan (2020)

So watched 40 minutes over FaceTime since my friend bought it but yea this movie isn’t for me.

It also leaked in China Before it’s official release and the chinese reviews are almost as brutal as the reviews for Cats...

• Haha
Reactions: Lucky Planet
So watched 40 minutes over FaceTime since my friend bought it but yea this movie isn’t for me.

It also leaked in China Before it’s official release and the chinese reviews are almost as brutal as the reviews for Cats...
Did it leak in mainland China or Hong Kong? Because Hong Kong already had it in for this movie because of what the lead actress said about the protests. Not to defend what she said, but they're definitely biased against it.

EDIT:
The Disney Studios intro uses the Shanghai Disney castle for this film.

Last edited:
Did it leak in mainland China or Hong Kong? Because Hong Kong already had it in for this movie because of what the lead actress said about the protests. Not to defend what she said, but they're definitely biased against it.

EDIT:
The Disney Studios intro uses the Shanghai Disney castle for this film.

main line China

This is my second favorite live-action remake (behind Cinderella) and it would have been great to see in theaters. I second that the plot is the weakest link, but that’s always the case with Disney’s live actions lol. The matrix physics make sense in the story, but still look a little hokey, imo

There are moments that feel over-produced, which is my issue with all of Disney’s live actions. But there are also some moments (like Mulan getting ready for the matchmaker), that are really stunning and feel very fresh. Also, I really loved how they incorporated musical themes from the animated film into the score.

In all, it was good, I enjoyed it, and I’m happy they made it, but it left a little something to be desired.

Reactions: CTank and belloq87
This is my second favorite live-action remake (behind Cinderella) and it would have been great to see in theaters. I second that the plot is the weakest link, but that’s always the case with Disney’s live actions lol. The matrix physics make sense in the story, but still look a little hokey, imo

There are moments that feel over-produced, which is my issue with all of Disney’s live actions. But there are also some moments (like Mulan getting ready for the matchmaker), that are really stunning and feel very fresh. Also, I really loved how they incorporated musical themes from the animated film into the score.

In all, it was good, I enjoyed it, and I’m happy they made it, but it left a little something to be desired.
I’ve heard Mulan is basically a Warrior Princess from the start, which to me sounds like it would take away from her storyline, since you don’t get to see her true origin story in a way.

But again, I’m just going on what I’ve heard and haven’t seen it.

That sounds like way more effort than just downloading a torrent

I certainly don't care enough about this movie to force myself to watch and low-quality over FaceTime. But also if I did care about this movie I still wouldn't want to watch it that way because I would rather wait to watch it in better quality.

That sounds like way more effort than just downloading a torrent

I certainly don't care enough about this movie to force myself to watch and low-quality over FaceTime. But also if I did care about this movie I still wouldn't want to watch it that way because I would rather wait to watch it in better quality.
Yeah, the only way i'm watching this before it hits Disney+ for free is if I torrent it or if others that I share my Disney+ account with were to decide they want to put up some money and split. I'd maybe pay $10.

they had it playing here and i sat to watch with my little cousins (4 cousins) 2 cousins left the room halfway in and one of my cousins started playing on her phone :lol:
i personally really didnt like it. i dont think i will ever watch it again, i know im not the target audience, i get its not for me, but i was a huge fan of the cartoon and really loved it growing up, this was just, not good even as its own thing. for all the visuals and action i thought it was dull, soulless.... :look:

I liked it personally, but it really feels lifeless.... you don’t really get character development from mulan or any of the characters at all. They have no soul in this. The characters feel one sided like that’s all there is to them on the screen. But I still liked it non the less

I will never give this film a dime for political reasons

But from what I hear...I have no clue who wants these remakes. They are just longer not as well done versions of films you own and have seen

I will never give this film a dime for political reasons

But from what I hear...I have no clue who wants these remakes. They are just longer not as well done versions of films you own and have seen

it just removed all the charm, heart, humor and songs of the original, lol, at least lion king and aladdin kept the humor, the funny characters. mulan tries to play it serious,

it just removed all the charm, heart, humor and songs of the original, lol, at least lion king and aladdin kept the humor, the funny characters. mulan tries to play it serious,
It kind of feels like in an attempt to be respectful they somewhat neutered the film, but in removing so much and doubling the length they had to add all these superfluous characters and chosen one nonsense. But even then, multiple moments that got emphasis and time in the animated film are skipped over here. It's the same problem the Lion King had where it somehow feels like a shorter film even though more technically happens since nothing ever lands with impact (and also there are Twitter threads going around about things that are inaccurate to Chinese culture so I'm not sure whether any of their attempts to make the film more serious actually helped them).

Honestly, they should have just given the film to Stephen Chow. Now that's a director that can expertly weave music, humor, action, and CGI creatures together.

EDIT: Oof,

Last edited:
It kind of feels like in an attempt to be respectful they somewhat neutered the film, but in removing so much and doubling the length they had to add all these superfluous characters and chosen one nonsense. But even then, multiple moments that got emphasis and time in the animated film are skipped over here. It's the same problem the Lion King had where it somehow feels like a shorter film even though more technically happens since nothing ever lands with impact (and also there are Twitter threads going around about things that are inaccurate to Chinese culture so I'm not sure whether any of their attempts to make the film more serious actually helped them).

Honestly, they should have just given the film to Stephen Chow. Now that's a director that can expertly weave music, humor, action, and CGI creatures together.

EDIT: Oof,

The funny part about it being too "westernized" is that's the same complaint Chinese audiences had with 1998's Mulan and Disney tried to change that by having an all Asian cast and making the film a war epic this time and it still seems not to have worked.

• Haha
The funny part about it being too "westernized" is that's the same complaint Chinese audiences had with 1998's Mulan and Disney tried to change that by having an all Asian cast and making the film a war epic this time and it still seems not to have worked.

It needed more facial recognition cameras and internment camps, then the Chinese might have embraced it... ;)

Watched it yesterday, better than I expected but, like many of the live remakes, it felt unnecessary and forgetable.