Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Mulan (2020)

I remember when the news broke of the lead actress's comments on Police in HK broke, we mentioned there was gonna' be a lot of collar tugging whenever they open the new China Circle-Vision film in Epcot. What's the next step past that since boy is this snowballing something fierce, thanking four propaganda departments + a public security bureau in a region home to some horrific human right's abuse is never a good look.

Last edited:
This is way worse backlash than I expected, admittedly. I never thought the momentum would grow enough (and I still actually don't know if it has grown or if the media is just writing stories about it and people are still watching the movie).

Either way, it's probably fate that this movie get backlash since it was only ever made to cater to the Chinese box office since it has becomes so lucrative. Now Disney finds itself in a position where people in China seems to dislike the movie and then it has the whole Hong Kong anti-democracy remarks from the lead actress, some of the other things linked to above and they chose to use the Shanghai Disneyland Castle, which is obviously there to please the CCP (and piss off the Hong Kong protestors even more).

Overall, this is just a gigantic mess.

This is way worse backlash than I expected, admittedly. I never thought the momentum would grow enough (and I still actually don't know if it has grown or if the media is just writing stories about it and people are still watching the movie).

Either way, it's probably fate that this movie get backlash since it was only ever made to cater to the Chinese box office since it has becomes so lucrative. Now Disney finds itself in a position where people in China seems to dislike the movie and then it has the whole Hong Kong anti-democracy remarks from the lead actress, some of the other things linked to above and they chose to use the Shanghai Disneyland Castle, which is obviously there to please the CCP (and piss off the Hong Kong protestors even more).

Overall, this is just a gigantic mess.
I mean I'm glad it finally is making some people aware of The influence of China in Media.

I doubt Disney will care and will keep catering to them but its a first step for people to hopefully start voicing out against these kinda moves.

I mean I'm glad it finally is making some people aware of The influence of China in Media.

I doubt Disney will care and will keep catering to them but its a first step for people to hopefully start voicing out against these kinda moves.
These kind of movies? So you’re gonna start voicing out against every blockbuster movie then, I assume. They’re literally all made to succeed in China now, like it or not.

These kind of movies? So you’re gonna start voicing out against every blockbuster movie then, I assume. They’re literally all made to succeed in China now, like it or not.
There is a difference between Infinity War and Ironman 3....one is a good film made for everyone and is still good the other literally has a changed ending to cater to the Chinese.
Also I'm down for movies to scale down. I jokingly say I hope everything has to be filmed like Mando but it wouldn't bug me for things to have to be more "indie" and not censored to make the Chinese Government happy. I also don't want to support actors to live in Freedom and condemn those who are living their lives in fear everyday.
Like The Mulan actress didn't have to support the protestors but to support the Police? She can got to hell for supporting how the people over there are being treated like animals while the world watches and does nothing

There is a difference between Infinity War and Ironman 3....one is a good film made for everyone and is still good the other literally has a changed ending to cater to the Chinese.
Also I'm down for movies to scale down. I jokingly say I hope everything has to be filmed like Mando but it wouldn't bug me for things to have to be more "indie" and not censored to make the Chinese Government happy. I also don't want to support actors to live in Freedom and condemn those who are living their lives in fear everyday.
Like The Mulan actress didn't have to support the protestors but to support the Police? She can got to hell for supporting how the people over there are being treated like animals while the world watches and does nothing
Hey, i'm not defending her at all, so I just want to get that out of the way.

But, ALL blockbusters (especially Marvel films) are catered to the Chinese now. One movie may be better than another or in some instances it may be more obvious than others, but all movies play it safe to play by China's rules to ensure that China will play their movie. That means not criticizing china in the film or showing them in a bad light, etc, etc. Disney and other conglomerates go out of their way to make sure their movie can play in the Chinese market. Mulan is an easy movie to jump on the boycott train over because of the actresses political stance. But will you boycott Shang-Chi? Jurassic World? Fast 9? Raya and the Last Dragon? Wonder Woman 1984?

Just wondering.

Of course they will. The market in China is huge. And I don’t even blame them for catering to the Chinese market to get more profit. It’s what corporations do. It’s their job.

Money over morals.

It’s the people who think these corporations actually have a moral compass that I feel sorry for. Applauding the Splash change, saying “Thank You Disney”. Or seeing their hollow social justice posts as if they actually care about anything and believing it’s anything more than doing just enough to not have you boycott them.

I mean, they threatened to stop filming in Georgia over an abortion bill while simultaneously thanking the actual Propaganda department in Xijiang that has put over a million Muslims In concentration camps... who are still there, btw. Because one gave them woke clout moral points and they could actually influence it and the other is so distant they know you’ll forget about it as soon as the next movie comes out and there was money to be made there.

They have no morals. They are soulless. They aren’t human. They care about money and money only. The sooner people wake up to that, the sooner people can stop relying on empty corporations to be a moral guide for them.

Of course they will. The market in China is huge. And I don’t even blame them for catering to the Chinese market to get more profit. It’s what corporations do. It’s their job.

Money over morals.

It’s the people who think these corporations actually have a moral compass that I feel sorry for. Applauding the Splash change, saying “Thank You Disney”. Or seeing their hollow social justice posts as if they actually care about anything and believing it’s anything more than doing just enough to not have you boycott them.

I mean, they threatened to stop filming in Georgia over an abortion bill while simultaneously thanking the actual Propaganda department in Xijiang that has put over a million Muslims In concentration camps... who are still there, btw. Because one gave them woke clout moral points and they could actually influence it and the other is so distant they know you’ll forget about it as soon as the next movie comes out and there was money to be made there.

They have no morals. They are soulless. They aren’t human. They care about money and money only. The sooner people wake up to that, the sooner people can stop relying on empty corporations to be a moral guide for them.
Now that's what I call a rant :lol:. ....but very accurate and truthful....the real world. :thumbsup:

Mulan drove the highest increase in Disney+ app downloads since when Hamilton was launched on the service:

Mulan drove the highest increase in Disney+ app downloads since when Hamilton was launched on the service:

Isn't it a bit odd that they are talking about app downloads and not signups?

Just because someone downloaded the app, doesn't mean they signed up, or it could be people downloading the app that are existing D+ members.

Isn't it a bit odd that they are talking about app downloads and not signups?

Just because someone downloaded the app, doesn't mean they signed up, or it could be people downloading the app that are existing D+ members.
Those numbers are not from Disney.

App downloads are something that data firms are able to track. The only way we would be able to know signups is if Disney told us, which is normally at the quarterly earnings calls.

Hey, i'm not defending her at all, so I just want to get that out of the way.

But, ALL blockbusters (especially Marvel films) are catered to the Chinese now. One movie may be better than another or in some instances it may be more obvious than others, but all movies play it safe to play by China's rules to ensure that China will play their movie. That means not criticizing china in the film or showing them in a bad light, etc, etc. Disney and other conglomerates go out of their way to make sure their movie can play in the Chinese market. Mulan is an easy movie to jump on the boycott train over because of the actresses political stance. But will you boycott Shang-Chi? Jurassic World? Fast 9? Raya and the Last Dragon? Wonder Woman 1984?

Just wondering.
Shang-Chi could be on my list if the actors try to kiss up to China but most movie stars aren't telling China good job for killing and locking up their own people.

This movie is an easy I don't have to watch film, its not that good a remake and I don't agree with where it was filmed or who is in it. Black Widow might be made so people in China can see it but doesn't mean me no supporting it will do much good. At least with Mulan Disney can learn not to film in China and hopefully not censor as much in other films.
But for you need movements on these films and not just one person and I'm glad to ignore Mulan.

This data seems to show that Premiere Access was a success. If the data is correct is the question.

People elsewhere were talking and its bad unscientific methodology similar to what people did with SCOOB to later have to backtrack. The numbers likely were less than that.

Disney’s shifting to allow this available on all digital platforms on October 6th, sticking with a $29.99 price point.

I suppose this is the digital equivalent of shifting from a limited theatrical run to a wide release?

So I guess I didn't realize this when I posted the above - Disney+ subscribers, other than getting to see the movie one month earlier than everyone else, got MAJORLY ripped off. They paid $30 to basically rent Mulan. On iTunes for example, you can BUY Mulan now for $30 and actually own it in 4K and you not only own the movie, but with that $30, you also get extras including a documentary. Those extras did not come with the Disney+ Premiere Access either from what I know.

So I guess I didn't realize this when I posted the above - Disney+ subscribers, other than getting to see the movie one month earlier than everyone else, got MAJORLY ripped off. They paid $30 to basically rent Mulan. On iTunes for example, you can BUY Mulan now for $30 and actually own it in 4K and you not only own the movie, but with that $30, you also get extras including a documentary. Those extras did not come with the Disney+ Premiere Access either from what I know.

Which was one of the reasons I felt the $30 premium rental was a rip-off. That was always coming.

I remember that Disney was a respectable company. The first episode of Spitting Image and latest episode of South Park both portrayed the company as greedy and soulless. So it's not only what I see as a former Disney customer who turned it's back to the parks, it's now how the general public is viewing Disney like that or at least it's loosing it's thin layer of chrome reveling for what they are.

Politics and bad business practices aside, I downloaded the movie from a "certain site" and truly thought it was extremely bad compared to the animated movie.