DreamWorks Land coming to USF (2024) | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land coming to USF (2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean there's also the reality that no business has unlimited money...
Of course, but that opens up a whole other discussion about what spending was authorized for which projects in which areas over the last seven-eight years that we probably don't want to have in this thread!

The only thing I really wanted to push back against is giving a pass for area I think could easily be better, and that it’s okay cause it’s for kids.

I totally get why this is being plussed / redone. I get that kids will love it. I do really like aspects of it.

I also suspect this is a quick fix for the area, and perhaps in 10-15 years we see this space levelled and utilized in a new way.

Reactions: tielo
The area is going to look great. Only problem I have is cutouts. Everything that is demolished had 3D letters and characters. Yes it's a bit more expensive but the charcters are the main Universal ip's and should be represented in the most markitable way possible.

The area is going to look great. Only problem I have is cutouts. Everything that is demolished had 3D letters and characters. Yes it's a bit more expensive but the charcters are the main Universal ip's and should be represented in the most markitable way possible.
Kidzone definitely had flats too. You can totally prefer 3D statues, but “everything that is demolished” wasn’t just 3D.

Alicia posted this as an example:
I’ll compare it to KidsZone, which I feel it looks better than, flats and all.

View attachment 20792

View attachment 20793

Kidzone definitely had flats too. You can totally prefer 3D statues, but “everything that is demolished” wasn’t just 3D.

Alicia posted this as an example:
I stand corrected. Still my point stands as this is now their own ip. But I know Universal does care less about their own ip so....

Reactions: Nico
The argument that universal couldn’t care less about their own IP’s doesn’t hold much weight when you look at velocicoaster next-door. I feel like some of these negative comments are stemming from a place of being negative for negativity sake.

And not to mention the classic universal monsters land currently being built at a brand new theme park themed to the nines. I don’t know much, but I do know this was never meant to be compared to that. I’m shocked they even gone to the extent that they have gone to. This will be a fine addition to fill a gap and eat up some time while epic takes its roots.

I simply thought signs with the white border hits the eye wrong when you look at it. The Destinations sign may have been made quickly, it's still nicer to look at than the new placeholder sign. I'm just saying is this white border around flats is happening in more than one area like a new design trend and personally I don't want to see it showing up at other additions.

My problem with this is about sign design choice, not how much they're spending. Trim them back like the examples posted recently and I would think it absolutely fine! Everything else here area looks fantastic and is looking better as they're filling in the finishing touches.

If Universal needs to cut corners they can start with the ones on the signs. :lol:

I simply thought signs with the white border hits the eye wrong when you look at it. The Destinations sign may have been made quickly, it's still nicer to look at than the new placeholder sign. I'm just saying is this white border around flats is happening in more than one area like a new design trend and personally I don't want to see it showing up at other additions.

My problem with this is about sign design choice, not how much they're spending. Trim them back like the examples posted recently and I would think it absolutely fine! Everything else here area looks fantastic and is looking better as they're filling in the finishing touches.

If Universal needs to cut corners they can start with the ones on the signs. :lol:
Yea the white border works on words and logos, not the characters.

It’s pretty obvious this was meant to be a simple re-skin. Nothing more, nothing less.

The only addition I see is Shreks house.

I wouldn't say it's a simple reskin. Curious George leaves the town & goes to China (Kung-fu Panda) is a very well executed change that you'd never believe it wasn't built from the ground up.

**Side-Note: It'd be great if they snuck in a small Curious George statue somewhere as a tribute. It'd be a monkey shrine (not to be confused with the "Shrine of the Silver Monkey")

Last edited:
Respectfully, this land looks great and I don't fully understand why some are so insistent otherwise. For me, two iffy signs is not enough to detract from the really well-done theming. The Spiderwebs surrounding Trollercoaster, the scale and detail on Shrek's house, Branch and Poppy figures replacing the Barney fountain, and the coolness of a new live, mocap Turtle Talk starring Po from Kung Fu Panda.

Could there have been more? Maybe, I do think all three properties could support a nice indoor themed ride. But that wasn't the project they ever had in mind, let alone had the space or budget for. This was a relatively quick redo of Kidzone, and for that job, I think it excels in every way. I think kids are gonna eat this place up.

That said, I also would love for expansion to be on the table at some point in the future because I would love to see a Shrek ride in Orlando again. Though, if it's a binary and it ends up between a Shrek dark ride and giving Pokemonland the room to become Diagon 2.0 next door, I personally lean towards the latter.